Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Huss said:

Two rolls I developed myself.  One was sent to a lab. The final test roll was just fed through the camera and not developed - just pulled out to examine the film for scratches.

All four rolls had scratches in the same places.

I'm repeating myself here...

Indeed you are repeating 🙂 I would say you have an issue with the camera. But some of what we are talking about here is just good stuff to know for 'basics' that everyone can be aware. Good luck on yours and will be interesting to see how they solve the issue. 

1 minute ago, lmans said:

Indeed you are repeating 🙂 I would say you have an issue with the camera. But some of what we are talking about here is just good stuff to know for 'basics' that everyone can be aware. Good luck on yours and will be interesting to see how they solve the issue. 

I really do like the camera, and hope this is just a brief frustration on what is the beginning of a beautiful experience.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, wattsy said:

I think it varies by time and place. I've had loaner cameras (and a lens on one occasion) from Leica in London.

I had a loaner twice. One was a brand new 240 pulled off the production line at a time that 240ies were scarce. 

• Like 1

I bought an MP from Leica America in June.  Had problems with dark band on one side or no exposure at all. Turns out the shutter did not open at 1/500 and 1/1000 and sometimes was slow to open at 1/250.  I returned it to NJ in September.  It took 12 weeks to be returned.  Even though it was defective as sold by Leica, it was placed at the end of the queue.  I don’t know what the quality control function does other than sign a card.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JerryYordy said:

I bought an MP from Leica America in June.  Had problems with dark band on one side or no exposure at all. Turns out the shutter did not open at 1/500 and 1/1000 and sometimes was slow to open at 1/250.  I returned it to NJ in September.  It took 12 weeks to be returned.  Even though it was defective as sold by Leica, it was placed at the end of the queue.  I don’t know what the quality control function does other than sign a card.

Well, I wish these stories were not so common.

Did your camera function properly once you got it back?  Hopefully that is the end of your troubles.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, JerryYordy said:

Even though it was defective as sold by Leica, it was placed at the end of the queue.

In that launch-time video for the new M6 by Hugh Jackman (or whatever his name is), the Leica Marketing Director brought up the fact that Jackman's DOA M11 was incorrectly placed in the 'slow as molasses' queue when it should have been put in the 'sh*t we screwed up' queue.  So the repair took way longer than it should have.  He implied that they'd fixed their process so that shouldn't happen again.  Maybe you were unlucky enough to have your camera break before the process improvement.

I think if I ever bought a new Leica camera or lens I would travel to Wetzlar, buy from the factory store and book into a hotel for a week and test the gear immediately.

Any problems could then be dealt with at the factory before leaving. Or getting a refund if not! 

Edited by earleygallery

7 hours ago, logan2z said:

In that launch-time video for the new M6 by Hugh Jackman (or whatever his name is), the Leica Marketing Director brought up the fact that Jackman's DOA M11 was incorrectly placed in the 'slow as molasses' queue when it should have been put in the 'sh*t we screwed up' queue.

I could imagine somebody at Leica (following the example of W C Fields) putting a sign on the front door saying 'Closed on account of molasses'.

(reference to 'It's a Gift' 1934 in which W C Fields is a general store owner)

• Haha 1

On 12/24/2022 at 2:17 AM, earleygallery said:

I think if I ever bought a new Leica camera or lens I would travel to Wetzlar, buy from the factory store and book into a hotel for a week and test the gear immediately.

Any problems could then be dealt with at the factory before leaving. Or getting a refund if not! 

"Factory store" will help you none. It is just a regular Leica Store in Leitz Park. It stocks the same goods as they distribute worldwide. But there is a hotel in Leitz Park... 😊
If you buy online you have the EU right to return in 14 days no questions asked for a full refund.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Am 23.12.2022 um 13:50 schrieb JerryYordy:

Sometimes I think they where surprised by the rennaisance of their own film cameras and missed the link between the old days technicians and the

new demand after mechanical cameras.

The shutter is the same since the first M3. Adjusting this is a basic routine which a skilled technician may do in 15 minutes.

But they are hard to find and no one is left to educate them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Ricoh said:

When your camera returns, Huss, I hope Leica provide a report on cause and rectification. 

Not sure Leica does that.  At least they didn't for my M2 that was just returned from a visit to Wetzlar to fix an issue caused during a full overhaul. No paperwork of any kind was included with the repaired camera, but the issue was fixed. 

On 12/22/2022 at 6:09 AM, lmans said:

Actually same can hold true for BW too...right? Their machines just might be dirty and thus that would account for the same issue on your complete roll. 

I know I try to get around that issue by using a dark room bag, and then develop my own film and then scan my own film...

I know from your posts that you really, like REALLY, don't want it to be Leica's fault. I'm sorry, but it's Leica. Those of us who have been shooting M's (and R's etc) for decades know better... (and hey, my daughters' name is Leica, so I'm definitely not a hater, but I'm also not a 'they can do no wrong' type of person). 

2 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Honestly, at this point, from personal experience, I would not buy a new Leica camera or lens unless one has one to three months they can afford of downtime to send it away (one may win the lottery though and get a good one out of the box). 

That’s what the dealer said to me, pretty much -  and he sells them!

He suggested several alternatives including a Hasselblad X1D ii of all things, which I wouldn’t really regard as an alternative. 

3 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Honestly, at this point, from personal experience, I would not buy a new Leica camera or lens unless one has one to three months they can afford of downtime to send it away (one may win the lottery though and get a good one out of the box). 

When there is only one manufacturer making film based, interchangeable lens rangefinder cameras and a solid group is buying everything that is shipped, there is no competition to prod them into assuring no new camera comes back for repair. It's happened to Leica before but being such a niche market, they know the buyers wants a Leica and nothing else.

Edited by madNbad

8 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

I know from your posts that you really, like REALLY, don't want it to be Leica's fault. I'm sorry, but it's Leica. Those of us who have been shooting M's (and R's etc) for decades know better... (and hey, my daughters' name is Leica, so I'm definitely not a hater, but I'm also not a 'they can do no wrong' type of person). 

On most forums ( pick one, pick any), many people put forth negative views. I just happen to think positive… be positive… I am positive. So when looking at Leica or any established high end company, they get to that point for a reason. Sure…. Product issues will occur…. That is natural as nothing is 100%, but in general… Leica has and does put forth quality. Sorry for not being negative:)

Leica Fan boy….Ricoh GR fan boy… OM-1 fan boy…

Edited by lmans

I just sold my Fuji Xpro3.  Hardly ever use it, plus it looks like there is a class action lawsuit pending for the defective rear monitor/screen.  So wanted to avoid that nonsense - currently Fuji is charging $500 to repair them even though it is a design flaw.

Point being? Well, it's not just Leica.  Do I feel better about it? No, not really.

:)

• andybarton changed the title to Brand new MP/M-A/M6 film scratches [Merged]