Mirror Lock Up on M8

dudedog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently attempted a portrait snap of a couple of people with the lens cap still on. They spotted the mistake far quicker than I did, and found it hugely amusing that I hadn't realised but had instead tried to take the shot. From an SLR perspective, of course, you have to be pretty dumb not to notice if your lens cap is still on, and although I did bleat something about "with this camera you can't really tell!" I don't think that convinced anyone that I wasn't just, basically, an idiot. :D

RF have LENS CAPS!!???

My gosh, THAT's my problem.

LOL

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow... I can't help but make the observation that had a similar "innocent but naive" question been posted on almost any other digital photography forum, the resulting heaps of scorn and mockery would have been deafening...

Gary

It's true. The Internet seems to be rich in people people whose tact and consideration seemingly reached their apex in junior high school. I wrote earlier this year that two things in particular, in contemporary life, reveal some dismaying truths about the level of consideration many people have for others. The first is the way in which they act on the Internet; the second is the way they behave when they're driving. In either case, some people, sheltered from direct human contact by the web and/or by metal & glass, behave in disturbing ways. This forum has, for several years, been a haven for people who enjoy *respectful* discussion and debate. In other words, its a forum for grown-ups. We can thank not only the forum members for this but also, especially, the moderators here who really do moderate.

Cheers,

Sean

Just to make you feel better... I remember that, some years ago there was a report in the UK press about some guy who had managed to hold a point and shoot the wrong way round and got a whole series of shots of his ear...

I think he put them in a competition and won prizes... :rolleyes:

new_yorker_ear_photo.gif

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A real M shooter cuts off the tip of his right index finger to work. :D

i did the same thing many a time when i first started with the M8 . It's actually pretty funny when you realize why you can't see the RF patch.

Ok, I had a "why is picture I've just taken black" moment yesterday.

Turned out that, by accident, the shutter speed wheel got moved from A to 1/8000th - thus, the picture at arperture of 8 was virtually black.

You see, there's still room for noobish faults :D

Guest guy_mancuso

Almost all my lens caps are in there box except the 50,75 and 90. I guess maybe i like the excuse i am always ready to shoot , NOT. LOL

After 32 years i have a few oh crap stories. All you can do is look back and laugh at yourself and if we can't do that than life would just stink.

Almost all my lens caps are in there box except the 50,75 and 90. I guess maybe i like the excuse i am always ready to shoot , NOT. LOL

After 32 years i have a few oh crap stories. All you can do is look back and laugh at yourself and if we can't do that than life would just stink.

I once shot a newspaper assignment (a press conference) with no film in my camera. A shooter from a competing daily, completely of his own volition, gave me a roll of his exposed film, explaining he had tons of similar exposures (talking heads). This impressed me no end, though I'm sure had the situation been somewhat different (breaking news), I would have been out of luck! :)

Regarding lens caps: it's obvious that Leica has introduced an amazing innovation in the the M8, enabling us to replace all of our old fashioned "opaque" lens caps with new "see thru" ones! :D

..................................................... Regarding lens caps: it's obvious that Leica has introduced an amazing innovation in the the M8, enabling us to replace all of our old fashioned "opaque" lens caps with new "see thru" ones! :D

That reminds me of when I first purchased an M4. Before looking through the viewfinder I took off the lens cap. That caused the dealer to exclaim "A true Leica user, they (nearly?) always remove the lens cap first!" :D

Bob.

Don't let anyone tell you that you need an M for long exposure hand held shots.

This was from the Berlin weekend, after dinner, hand held with the DMR and 28.

1/3 second.

:)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nice story

I don't use lens caps so I can avoid that problem LOL :D

That reminds me of when I first purchased an M4. Before looking through the viewfinder I took off the lens cap. That caused the dealer to exclaim "A true Leica user, they (nearly?) always remove the lens cap first!" :D

Bob.

Boy is this embarrassing. I blew it on my first post. I wish I had a great excuse...but I don't :-(

So, thanks to all who "graciously" responded. Hopefully someone got a chuckle out of it! I promise I'll do better in the future... GeorgeB

Even famous people mess up...

PopPhoto Flash: Money Can’t Buy Everything

My worst screw-up was shooting a wedding with a friend's Nikon F rather than using

my Nikkormat -- that 1/125 flash sync was quite unique at the time, the F's 1/60th made for some really bad shots.

Come to think of it, that guy never asked me to fill in for him again