Mirror Lock Up on M8

dudedog

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone heard if Leica might be considering some version of Mirror Lock Up for the M8.

It would be great to have a way to do it as a true "Mirror Lock Up" function like on the Nikon... But it would be acceptable if they took the Canon route and had the mirror Lock Up at the beginning of the 2 Second Delay Self Timer.

Anyone heard anything that might be coming in the near future, or have any suggestions on how to get this idea to Leica for consideration?

GeorgeB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

George, I'm not sure how to break this to you--the M8 has no mirror, so no mirror lock-up necessary.

Rangefinders don't have a mirror to reflect light from the lens through to the eyepeice. When you use the M8, you're seeing through the rangefinder, not the lens. You don't ever lose your vision when you press the shutter.

Consequently (for me anyway), I find it easier to shoot with longer lenses at slower shutter speeds with the M8.

(boy it doesn't feel like April. My apologies if I didn't get the joke :D )

EDIT--or do you mean some kind of live view on the LCD? There's still no mirror...

I heard there's another new feature Leica is introducing to finally make the M8 more like a Nikon: a five pound sandbag that screws into the bottom plate and can be carried in a Samsonite roll-on suitcase to give you that Nikon heft and presence.

Since it is made in Germany by Leica, it will however cost $200.;) ;)

George, it is a fair question to ask if one does not know the anatomy af the M8. A most prominent Forum Member, Mark Norton, has let us all take part in his dismantling of a M8, and he has shown us the anatomy of the M8 on this link, which is one of the most interesting threads ever on this Forum:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/21331-anatomy-leica-m8.html

I hope this answers your question. Welcome in the Forum, we look forward to more contributions from your part. My 4 years old daughter always asks "why this" and "why that" - and I patiently try to answer her questions, knowing that asking is the only way to get answers.

George - Welcome. This being a Leica forum it is populated by very worthy people but I want to reveal the truth that had dared not speak it's name. The truth is that all Leica M8 owners are all beautiful looking stunners who desire maximum reflection; and that's why Leica didn't provide a mirror lock up. It's a little known fact.

................. Chris

This being a Leica forum it is populated by very worthy people but I want to reveal the truth that had dared not speak it's name. The truth is that all Leica M8 owners are all beautiful looking stunners who desire maximum reflection; and that's why Leica didn't provide a mirror lock up. It's a little known fact.

Beautiful, really beautiful answer. Thanks Chris :)

Boy is this embarrassing. I blew it on my first post. I wish I had a great excuse...but I don't :-(

Probably the smartest thing to do would be to un-register, change my user name, re-register, and then continue to read all the great information that surfaces on this forum. But rather than do that, I think I'll just appreciate the "gracious" way people have told me my question was stupid, chalk it up to experience and move on...

Tom, as for being related to Kate Blankenship, I'm not, but if I was, I'd probably spare her the embarrassment of me saying yes right now given my posting...ugh

Anyway, after all is said and done, I am really enjoying using my new M8. I'm new to the camera, and absolutely love it. I did my first large print [20"x30"] the other day and was stunned by the clarity and detail from an image that was taken on a table-top tripod with a 20 second exposure, and then cropped about 20% before printing... I then thought to myself, hmmm... this probably would have been even better if I had "locked up the mirror"... I wonder how to do that? [i've been using a 5D for the past 2 years and doing this is a must]

So, I went to the forum and asked the question... duh... Just wasn't thinking it through...

So, thanks to all who "graciously" responded. Hopefully someone got a chuckle out of it! I promise I'll do better in the future... GeorgeB

Guest tummydoc

Don't fret George. At least you didn't start off with "I just paid 4000 Euros for this bloody camera and it managed to get past Quality Control without anyone noticing they'd forgot to install the mirror!" :D

George, compliments for your more than decent answer, and welcome to the forum ! As you see, most of us are nice guy people... and many times, anyway, you'll find some argument that is REALLY well afforded in depth, and with the right tech know how... and all this, in subjects ranging from Digital Signal Processing to Hand Made Milling !!!