Changing OS & software?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My current laptop is 6 years old and getting rather slow, so I am going to replace it. As I don’t have space, the laptop is my only computer, no desktop, so it is 17” and I only use it for photos and internet. No office, no video.

Currently I have windows 10 with capture one (as back in 2016 Adobe was way overpriced in Croatia due to reseller policy), photo mechanic, NIK, and lots of presets and stuff which one buys but not really uses.

For the new system I am rethinking Apple, so a MBP 16” would be my choice with:

LR/PS: instead of C1, mainly cause of masking possibilities in Adobe, cause to me, here C1 still lacks. On top I was thinking of the BW Artisan panel and some presets (either cobra or rni).

Photo Mechanic: would I need this? At current I only use it for ingesting, culling and renaming: could I do this as quick in LR?

and I guess that’s it, would like to keep things very simple. That said, do I miss something?

It will be a bit of a learning curve and a struggle with things working differently, but once mastered - I give you a year to get 90% Apple-literate :lol: you will never look back. If you only use the laptop for photo-editing and Internet, your skills will transfer much faster. 
Lightroom is well known for its excellent catalogue management - better than C1. You can combine LR and Photomechanic

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

once you go mac, you never go back ;)

PS i understand, but C1's masking tools are Much better than LR

What you can do with the masks is great in c1, but the masking itself (to create the masks) is less great. Would be great if one could sth like the gradient tool from ps… I watch quite some tutorials (mainly based on ps) and can never get such finetuned masks (relatively quickly) in c1.

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Do yourself a favor and go Mac.
You are 100% good with Adobe PS/LR/Bridge. I would ad Nik Collection (Viveza, Sliver Efex etc.)
No need for Photomechanic, I do 99% stuff in Bridge.

As I don’t do weddings anymore, I rarely download hundreds of images (which pm handled very quickly) so indeed Bridge could do the job.

Regarding NIK, I still have the original version, which ofcourse is not the best integrated in C1. I never liked that I could not go back for re-edits. Maybe I should upgrade indeed.

Is there an intrinsic need to go MPB16”? Such as portability?

My shop also advised me the MBP16. You can get that with 32Gb internal - a must for using it the next 5-8 years. 

• But I decided to go Studio (M1Max/32Gb) and external screen by LG 24 inch. My pictures and backup are on a USB drive anyway (2Tb SSD).

It is a superb combination. The screen renders the pictures great, and I have never seen the small changes or shift in the focal plane as good as now. in the past I had a 4K Retina screen. But a screen is very personal, and the newest super-retina screens are great too.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

32 minutes ago, Alberti said:

Is there an intrinsic need to go MPB16”? Such as portability?

My shop also advised me the MBP16. You can get that with 32Gb internal - a must for using it the next 5-8 years. 

• But I decided to go Studio (M1Max/32Gb) and external screen by LG 24 inch. My pictures and backup are on a USB drive anyway (2Tb SSD).

It is a superb combination. The screen renders the pictures great, and I have never seen the small changes or shift in the focal plane as good as now. in the past I had a 4K Retina screen. But a screen is very personal, and the newest super-retina screens are great too.

As I edit in the kitchen, at the dining table, I don’t want to have an external screen, hence the choice for the 16”. A screen would be better, but then, I am already 20 years editing on a laptop so I am used to it.

Changing OS. You tend to get partisan fanatics of MacOS and Windows, and a detached assessment of either system is rare. I sold my MS Surface Book this year and bought a MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro, but I still have a Windows desktop where I do most of my photo and video editing. I also switched from an android phone to an iphone. Both systems have their advantages and things that drive you nuts. After the best part of a year, my conclusion is that Apple has much better hardware; I would marginally prefer Windows over MacOS (versatility, transparency, third party soft/hardware) if it wasn't that the Apple ecosystem of laptop, phone and airpods are so well integrated.

Once you are in apps that are common to both systems (Office, Adobe etc) the difference between the two systems fades away. I am happy to edit in Lightroom CC on the MacBook when travelling, then Lightroom Classic on the desktop when I'm home. In the end the only difference that I can't get over is that to close a Mac app you click top left, and to close a Windows app you click top right.

For what you want for photo ingesting Bridge would do the job in place of PhotoMechanic. But how old is your licence for the latter? Could you transfer the licence?

As others have questioned, do you need a 16" laptop? Why not get a smaller footprint plus a large screen for home use? I am too used to editing photos and video on a 27" to want to go back to anything smaller except when travelling, even though the laptop is more than powerful enough. [Edit: just seen your previous reply about this - fair enough]

Edited by LocalHero1953

5 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Do yourself a favor and go Mac.
You are 100% good with Adobe PS/LR/Bridge. I would ad Nik Collection (Viveza, Sliver Efex etc.)
No need for Photomechanic, I do 99% stuff in Bridge.

I use Photo Mechanic, but unless you're doing a lot of work with cataloging and text generation (e.g., relational DB-like queries and collections management, IPTC Description fields, etc.) you can do everything within C1 or LR. I second the suggestion that you invest in DxO's Nik Collection software, although be prepared for "growing pains" as they work through the usual integration issues.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Changing OS. You tend to get partisan fanatics of MacOS and Windows, and a detached assessment of either system is rare. I sold my MS Surface Book this year and bought a MacBook Pro 14 M1 Pro, but I still have a Windows desktop where I do most of my photo and video editing. I also switched from an android phone to an iphone. Both systems have their advantages and things that drive you nuts. After the best part of a year, my conclusion is that Apple has much better hardware; I would marginally prefer Windows over MacOS (versatility, transparency, third party soft/hardware) if it wasn't that the Apple ecosystem of laptop, phone and airpods are so well integrated.

Once you are in apps that are common to both systems (Office, Adobe etc) the difference between the two systems fades away. I am happy to edit in Lightroom CC on the MacBook when travelling, then Lightroom Classic on the desktop when I'm home. In the end the only difference that I can't get over is that to close a Mac app you click top left, and to close a Windows app you click top right.

For what you want for photo ingesting Bridge would do the job in place of PhotoMechanic. But how old is your licence for the latter? Could you transfer the licence?

As others have questioned, do you need a 16" laptop? Why not get a smaller footprint plus a large screen for home use? I am too used to editing photos and video on a 27" to want to go back to anything smaller except when travelling, even though the laptop is more than powerful enough. [Edit: just seen your previous reply about this - fair enough]

Indeed. I switched from MS DOS to Mac, then Mac at home and Windows at work. Mac still feels native to me. Windows drove me mad 😉 at the time, but that was mostly because Win 95 was a very poor OS compared to the Mac OS at that time.  Windows 10 has matured a lot and switching is easier now.

The secret of switching without much pain is realizing that each OS has its own 'culture'. When you try to find a way to do things on a Mac coming from Windows, most things will be very similar. e.g the window buttons for closing - opposite position was pure copy right issue, just like the start menu.

Sometimes you find the Mac does not behave like you expect (Windows-wise). Most users then try to force the Mac to do it exactly like on Windows, and then get frustrated because the Mac does not want to play along. Sometimes the answer is surprisingly simple. e.g. Lots of Windows users complain about the 'closing app thing' in Mac OS. Closing all windows will actually leave the app open on a Mac, and Windows users do not expect that. Mac users have always closed windows by CMD-W and closed apps by CMD-Q (quit) which closes all windows en then closes the app. This makes perfect sense in Mac OS, but not so much in Windows, because in Mac OS you have one menu with App/Quit while you have one App/Quit per window in Windows... Mac OS has done that since the mid 80's, long before MS sort of copied it to design Windows. IMO neither is right or wrong, both are consistent within their OS.

Edited by dpitt

• 4 weeks later...

So, I ordered a MBP 16” M1. As I don’t do video (and won’t in the future), I assume the M1 + 16gb will serve me the upcoming 5 years.

Only option available is 512sdd which is rather small, however, since this month I have finally a decent wifi connection (disadvantage of living in the mountains), I will buy a WD my cloud of 4tb which should be enough as well.

Ofcourse, additional backup HD as well.

Do I need sth more hardware wise? (Except wacom and mouse).

12 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Do I need sth more hardware wise? (Except wacom and mouse).

No. Not for photos. I don't use a mouse, but the Wacom. Perhaps I'd add a proper Eizo 27" at some point. You can buy them used, as their Colour Edge line lasts easily longer than 6+ years.  I have the Max version of the 16" book, but I do demanding video stuff every here and then. That said, C1 23 now does somewhat what Photo Mechanic typically does. Culling and evaluation are super-simple in 23. No need for Photo Mechanic in a C1 workflow anymore. I prefer Sessions over Catalogue as Sessions are simple folders that can be easily backed up or moved around; hence, I don't need LR. I find C1 more powerful. YMMV, of course, but I'd stick to C1.

• Thanks 1

Do I need sth more hardware wise?

You can't have the photo's internally!

You choose the WD 4TB/dual drive I assume SSD.  I have a single WD 6 TB HDD; for back-ups, just a cheap USB-C drive that makes it into a SATA drive. I used to have a NAS, it is a nightmare (you need to upgrade drives all the time).

My photo's are on a Thunderbolt-3 drive;  & I have a Yeyi TB-3 drive runs my WD Green 350 2TB at almost 2.000/2.700 Mbs. So that means - at last we have something fast, maching the M1-Max architecture. The LR catalogue I have on the 512 Gb on a volume, including the previews and cache. I can move the volume easily in total to the SSD if needed, but now the set up is fast. You need a short TB-3 cable (13 cm max.)

--> last week the WD Blue SN570 SSD M.2 2TB NVMe that goes up to 3.200 Mbs read, and it was only €137 at Amazon - incredible value.

• Like 1

In the end I will go for following.

Hardware:

mbp 16”, m1/16gb/512

my current wacom (left hand) 

mouse (right hand)

6tb my cloud for storage

Software:

PM (the perfect photo browser and great for renaming, metadata etc). 

C1: change of OS has no additional cost,  and I am so used to c1, don’t want to waste time to learn LR.

LR: just for resizing Q2 dng’s

PS: for more advanced editing 

some plugins for PS like bw artisan, and i will keep my current profiles from cobalt. All other ‘old’ presets and luts will not be renewed. Less is more.

• 10 months later...

A small update: having switched OS earlier this year, I also took LRC + PS. Though I have C1, and do enjoy it, most, if not all, I could achieve in LR.

As my license of C1 is ending, I decided to let go. Rather master one programm instead of two. So now, the transition is complete.