Microprism focussing screen

steveash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would really love the microprism focussing screen for my S007 but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and it seems doubtful that Leica would want to do another production run. Even used ones don’t seem to come up. 

Has anyone seen one for sale anywhere? Or even have one they’d be willing to part with? I’m in the UK but happy to look further afield.

11 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Can't speak for UK, but Ace Photo in Ashburn, Virginia lists it in stock, and at a small discount.

https://acephoto.net/search-results-page?q=leica s microprism screen

Jeff

Is/was $520 the normal price in the US? It was about $150 less in Europe at around £300.

An expensive focusing screen with a free S3 is very tempting!

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

56 minutes ago, steveash said:

No I think they’re all the same fitting. Time to put it in the S3?

Yep. That's the one. Part # 16001. It's yours! Send me an address and I'll drop it in the mail. The price is it clutters up YOUR office instead of mine.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Yep. That's the one. Part # 16001. It's yours! Send me an address and I'll drop it in the mail. The price is it clutters up YOUR office instead of mine.

That’s very generous of you. I thought there must be someone hoarding them all somewhere! I’ll send you a message.

37 minutes ago, jpk said:

When I got the split focusing screen fitted into my 006 it didn't match with the AF: better make sure the alignment is spot on before using it for critical work...

Thanks, I’ll do some tests. I’m keen to try my Hasselblad 100mm f2.2 which was a challenge to focus even before the AF gearbox failed. 

On 1/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, jpk said:

When I got the split focusing screen fitted into my 006 it didn't match with the AF: better make sure the alignment is spot on before using it for critical work...

I had a very similar problem with my S3. I have a split focusing screen from my previous camera and tried to install it myself to no avail. I obviously misaligned something regardless of  my efforts to follow the screen installation guide. I had to return to my regular screen and it’s works well in manual and AF. 

• 2 weeks later...

After some rather non-scientific experimentation with the focussing screen (thanks again Matt!) and lenses of various focal length, comparing manual and auto focus it seems to be perfectly calibrated with my camera. 

I do find it quite difficult to use with a 28mm Hasselblad lens, as the wide angle makes any edges to be aligned very small. Maybe I just need to see my optician!

• Like 1