Pixii rangefinder camera with APS-C sensor

Herr Barnack

3 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

This is an interesting camera, in some ways.  Is it an alternative to the Q2 and/or the M10?

The new Pixii rangefinder camera with APS-C sensor is now released

https://www.macfilos.com/2022/12/12/the-new-pixii-rangefinder-camera-with-aps-c-sensor-is-now-released/

I do wish this and the fuji x-pro series were available in a full frame sensor. As it is, its hard for me personally , to take them seriously. I mean we've come so far from the M8...

• 2 weeks later...

The top line of any product design outline should answer the question, 'who needs it?'

So, who needs an interchangeable lens APS-C camera that is nearly the same price as a second hand M10? You want to use your favourite 28mm lens, hard luck, it isn't anymore. There'd be more logic in buying an M8 to enjoy the CCD sensor.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, Kwesi said:

This is an interesting camera, in some ways.  Is it an alternative to the Q2 and/or the M10?

For me it is. I've just bought one. I wanted  a monochrome camera for a while, but the Q2M and M10M are just that bit too above of my pay grade and comfort zone at the moment (saved 4 years for an M-D 262).

I am also not really a "Leica-only" shooter. I've been a longtime Fuji, Canon and Nikon SLR and DSLR user. I bought my M2 because I wanted a rangefinder and the M-D 262 later because I wanted a digital rangefinder but no screen (I like that simple, striped down shooting experience).

The Pixii caught my eye because it pressed all my quirky necessary buttons: monochrome DNGs, no screen, a rangefinder and substantial upgrades without having to buy new camera. That it is not a full frame does not bother me as my main birding camera is a Fuji X-T4 and I really like the images and prints (usually 11'x14") I get from that crop sensor.

I look forward to receiving it (mid to late March) testing the monochrome DNGs vs my M-D's black and white conversions. I know the Pixii is not for everyone or an M but I'm an odd fish and look forward to the experience of using it.

Edited by M2Pete
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The issue is the crop sensor and the most commonly accepted high quality M lenses.

My favourite M lens is a 35mm. In order to get that effect on the Pixii I'd have to additionally buy a wider lens, most likely something by Voigtlander or TT Artisans.

I'd rather just keep using my existing Leicas M lenses on an M10 or M240.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 5:10 PM, M2Pete said:

For me it is. I've just bought one. I wanted  a monochrome camera for a while, but the Q2M and M10M are just that bit too above of my pay grade and comfort zone at the moment (saved 4 years for an M-D 262).

I am also not really a "Leica-only" shooter. I've been a longtime Fuji, Canon and Nikon SLR and DSLR user. I bought my M2 because I wanted a rangefinder and the M-D 262 later because I wanted a digital rangefinder but no screen (I like that simple, striped down shooting experience).

The Pixii caught my eye because it pressed all my quirky necessary buttons: monochrome DNGs, no screen, a rangefinder and substantial upgrades without having to buy new camera. That it is not a full frame does not bother me as my main birding camera is a Fuji X-T4 and I really like the images and prints (usually 11'x14") I get from that crop sensor.

I look forward to receiving it (mid to late March) testing the monochrome DNGs vs my M-D's black and white conversions. I know the Pixii is not for everyone or an M but I'm an odd fish and look forward to the experience of using it.

This is a quick review of my time with the Pixii so far. The camera arrived in May 2023 due to manufacturing and Covid related shipping issues. Since then I've shot the camera nearly daily and on one extended trip. It takes some time to absorb the differences in how the camera works, especially given the fact it has no SD card, but once those are overcome it is really fun to use.

What naysayers to the camera need to appreciate is a Leica and the Pixii are totally different cameras that give the photographer an entirely different shooting experience save that they are rangefinders. I would never compare the two because to do so is pointless. My M-D continues to be my everyday camera of choice but the Pixii I often use in lieu it because it offers a different way to capture my photos.

Image-wise I prefer the Leica (that might be bias) but almost always shout DNGs and from the results see little difference. I think the Leica is better is better with Leica lenses but I find the Pixii does very well with my Zeiss and VC lenses and better in some cases. Sadly, I fail to see any real difference in monochrome mode DNGs on the Pixii with those color ones I've shot with my Leica and then converted to black and white but that just maybe my eyes.

What I can say is that is someone who has shot every type of camera Kodak 110s to Polaroids to SLRs and Minox GT 35 before trying rangefinders and digital I really enjoy shooting with the Pixii. It is a challenge and a chance to expand the experience of capturing a photo. 

Off my soap box now.

• Like 3