50mm lens choices < $1000

cheezytomatos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm looking for 50mm lenses options for my m9 and am a little overwhelmed with the choices. From reading reviews and doing research, I've kind of narrowed it down to the Voigtlander 1.5II or APO f2. The APO brings great sharpness across the board, and the 1.5II seems like a good choice for a small everyday lens. The lens would be used for street and urban landscapes. 

Would the APO be overkill for the m9 since the resolution is only 18mp? I'm also considering an older elmarit-m (11819) or rigid, but their probably less than pristine at this price point. 

Edited by cheezytomatos
added reasons

There is no  limitation between MP and lens quality. A better lens will always be better on the same sensor, a better sensor will always be better on the same lens -and the MP number does not say much about image quality anyway. I am very much taken with th 1.5/50 II. It is hard to see what the APO would add to the use intended. From another thread: The Nokton 50/1.5 II: (click the image for optimal quality)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

You can agonize over the choice of a lens until the cows come home; by and large, it is difficult to find a poor choice for a lens today.  A prime parameter that seems to be ignored in these digital days is: how large will your prints be. A whole lot of the advantages and disadvantages of lenses become rather invisible in smaller prints; and if you do not print an image, it does not exist.

• Thanks 1

From my experience with many 50ies on M-E 220...

If you could still find 50 Cron under 1K, it is best match for this old Leica CCD sensor.

Latest Elmar-M 50 2.8  will do. "Pristine" doesn't really mean anything. My Rigid was with  lots of  signs of use and some play while optics were undamaged. It was Leica slightly old school colors and very sharp lens. IV and III were with Leica colors just right. III has cheap black paint with wears out during use. 

With all honesty, CV lenses have something which makes them no-cigar on M9 sensor. 

Cosina ZM, even it is next to abandoned brand (a.k.a. Zeiss) is still better.

You could get 50/2 Planar ZM and it is very good optics lens without overpaying for Leica name.

For street and daily use, lens with focus tab is much more practical. I was using cable tie as focus tab on Cron III. 

Cable ties have one advantage over permanent focus tabs. You could adjust tab position for your most used distances. 

• Like 1

Voigtlander lenses on the M9 and M9M are wonderful. I don't understand the comment above.

I use the APO Lanthar and it is fantastic, very sharp with nice color. A used Summicron can be had for close to your price from V5 and before. The Elmar collapsible is nice too.

I have three 50s and they each fill a specific need. Oh, the ZM lenses are excellent too.

joel

• Like 1

The one and only reason I do not recommend the ZM lenses is  two of three of mine developed that notorious wobble in the body.  The ZM 35 1.4 Distagon seems immune.

The current CV lenses seem to be better built.  Like JAAPV I have and really like the CV 50 1.5 v2.  There is something really nice about using a small lens on an M camera.

The current v5 Summicron is perfect, and tiny.  And handles so well.  But even used it is about $1600.

The CV APO you mention is excellent, but a bit big for my taste.  I prefer my 50s smaller.  You can't go wrong with it though.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On CV lenses that exhibit barrel wobble it's a relatively easy home fix... not sure about the ZMs

The ZM 50/2 is a reasonable lens, but it's a bit wider than 50 and has tangible distortion making, IMHO at least, the cron the clear winner between the two... well apart from price

Maybe it was because my first ever Leica was an M9 and the first lens I got was a V5 cron, (and that was the only lens I had for about 2 months) I've got a huge soft spot for the M9/50cron combo.. It just seems to turn out a nice picture

I foolishly sold the cron to fund a Lux ASPH, bought the ZM50/2 to compensate, then sold the ZM and re-bought the cron (which I use more than the Lux)

The days of <insert currency here>1000 crons seem gone really... and if I couldn't pick the cron I think I'd take the CV50/1.5 (definitely over the ZM) I like the idea of the CV APO, but iirc it's basically Lux ASPH size before you put a hood on it

• Like 2

I went through all traditional versions of 50 Cron. I doubt here is going to be v5 under $1000 form legit source. 

I had v4 which is same optical formula as V5. The known flaring defect was present for this version of cron. 

Realistically, under $1000 it might be Collapsible, Rigid or unanimous for some odd reasons V3. If any with this outgoing greed show.

I also have tried 50mm lenses on M-E 220 for focus shift. v4 (same optics as v5) Cron was worse on focus shifts. 

50/2 ZM was in the opposite, no focus shifts. 

Cosina Voigtlander makes VM and ZM lenses. Both developing wobble after some time. VM lenses wobble is less known. ZM is famous for Zeiss wobble.

VM wobble is fixable by the ring on the back tightening.  Zeiss wobble progressing to worn out metal, if lens is in constant use for some time. If it is one from many under somewhat use, no issues.

My Cron Rigid came to me with barrel wobble simply because lens was in decades of use. It did not affect negatively anything, except my feelings :)  

both my v5 crons flared differently, newer one (which is probably older, certainly more used) flairs less

wobble fix on CV is to remove the helicoid 'guides' and slightly splay them apart. Do it one at a time so that nothing gets out of alignment (not that it really could unless you tried separating the two helicoid parts but always play it safe when it comes to lens dismantling). They're accessible under the flange so not even any need to split the lens

The big 50 test at 47-degree.com (Link) had the ZM focus shifting more than the cron, but neither was anywhere near best in class

I have a summicron V5 which I think is a great lens and I was fortunate enough to get it when prices were a bit more reasonable (less than £1000).  I took one of my favourite shots with it on my M9 when I came across David Suchet at his book signing in Leica Mayfair back in 2019.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a 50mm, but inside your budget and a great performer.  The Summicron-C 40. It is the 'youngest' Summicron under $1000.
On the m9/M-E it brings up the 50mm frame. It is best to modify the mount to bring up the 35mm frames. These work fine if you shoot well within the lines.

Edited by dpitt

• 1 month later...