Repaired lens a good purchase idea?

PeterKKB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Over 3 decades I have bought quite a few used lenses and never knew how they were abused. If you don’t see any evidence from a test roll then it should be fine. But for OCD sufferers the fact you know the lens was dropped eats at you keeping you up at night whispering taunting until you scrutinise every shot looking for de-centering and focus shifts and lost or resolution then don’t buy it :). I have a bit of that myself so understand the feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@PeterKKB  I would be inclined to trust the repair work of Leica's technicians.  As I understand it, they strive to make any repaired camera or lens as good as it was when it was new in terms of function and performance (normal appearance wear is another issue; repainting may be required to make the lens or body look like new).

As for buying the lens - I would probably buy it if the repair paperwork is available and is included, if you can borrow it to shoot with it for a few days and if the price is right - and if you feel like your friend is trustworthy.

• Like 2