Repaired lens a good purchase idea?

PeterKKB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

A friend of mine is selling a Leica lens that has been dropped and repaired by Leica. Is this a good idea? Does repair by Leica mean that the lens would be "as never been dropped" or could a drop leave more permanent "scars" and would be wise to be avoided? thanks!

Edited by PeterKKB

• PeterKKB changed the title to Repaired lens a good purchase idea?
26 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

There is absolutely no guarantee that some hidden anomalies would not surface later, but Leica gives warranty for the service so you should be OK. Getting such lens is much better than getting a dropped camera. All mechanical parts.

Thanks a lot for your answer. Interesting: so a repair by Leica is not bullet-proof and potential issues could surface later, thanks for sharing!

3 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

Thanks a lot for your answer. Interesting: so a repair by Leica is not bullet-proof and potential issues could surface later, thanks for sharing!

I did not say that. I merely implied that Leica will do the best they can, but they are no magicians. If there is some underlying damage they did not detect it can resurface later.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

Does repair by Leica mean that the lens would be "as never been dropped" .....

Yes. Its highly unlikely that any damaged art would not either be repaired or replaced. I have had such a droppe lens repaired and it came back better than it had been prior to being dropped. A warranty means that Leica consider the risk of the lens developing an associate fault is very low. I would have no hesitation in buying such a lens.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Additionally, you have zero assurance that any other used Leica (or other) product has not been dropped and/or mishandled, and not disclosed.  This is a lens from a friend who sent the lens to Leica for evaluation and repair.  To me that's like getting a used lens that has recently undergone a CLA.  I trust it more than one that has not been opened and looked at.  If everything looks and feels good, it should be good. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, DenverSteve said:

Additionally, you have zero assurance that any other used Leica (or other) product has not been dropped and/or mishandled, and not disclosed.  This is a lens from a friend who sent the lens to Leica for evaluation and repair.  To me that's like getting a used lens that has recently undergone a CLA.  I trust it more than one that has not been opened and looked at.  If everything looks and feels good, it should be good. 

True! 

57 minutes ago, pgk said:

Yes. Its highly unlikely that any damaged art would not either be repaired or replaced. I have had such a droppe lens repaired and it came back better than it had been prior to being dropped. A warranty means that Leica consider the risk of the lens developing an associate fault is very low. I would have no hesitation in buying such a lens.

I get it, but generally I really don't want to risk having an issue, is a repair by Leica bullet proof then?

2 hours ago, PeterKKB said:

Hi,

A friend of mine is selling a Leica lens that has been dropped and repaired by Leica. Is this a good idea? Does repair by Leica mean that the lens would be "as never been dropped" or could a drop leave more permanent "scars" and would be wise to be avoided? thanks!

It's a friend?  Like really a friend as in the real world?   Borrow it for a couple of days and play with it.  

What scars are you worried about?

• Like 1

PeterKKB,  My experience with Leica Wetzlar Customer Care has been most excellent.  I had a fellow associate who dropped his 50mm Noctilux and he thought it was a goner.  He sent it to Germany and although the estimate was a little over $1K, the lens came back looking like new and perfectly calibrated.  Luckily he had insurance too.  I believe if Leica assesses they can fix a lens or camera they will do so.  If not, they will tell you too.  In your case, I would make sure you have the Leica service paperwork and check the warranty period.  You should be able to test the lens before buying it as well.  I know others have different views.  But getting back to the question whether the repair will be bullet proof; I submit; Is anything really bullet proof?   r/ Mark

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, PeterKKB said:

I get it, but generally I really don't want to risk having an issue, is a repair by Leica bullet proof then?

Life is a risk. A new lens may have more issues than a repired one. If I had to guess at the stats I'd say a Leica repaired lens will be as safe a bet as any other.

Many years ago I flooded a camera housing and destroyed the Nikon camera inside. The lens however was deemed repairable by Nikon. 6 months after it was repaired it started corroding. Nikon rerepaired it and I suspect most of it was replaced. Shorty afterwards Nikon stopped repairing salt-water damaged equipment. I would suggest that, like Nikon, if Leica think something is repairable and can be guaranteed then they are pretty confident that it will be just as good as it was before the damage. Like Nikon they would probably not repair something if they thought it wouldn't be ok.

• Like 1

As a general question the answers received are the best possible. 

Which lens? 

What was repaired?  Leica will be specific in the estimate.   

And what is the price you are paying?  

As mentioned by KFo, due diligence is advised as with any used lens.  Test for proper focus with your camera, check that the right side/left side image quality is not poor, occasionally infinity focus is misaligned.  If there is a Leica store available ask the buyer (of used equipment) to check the lens for you, they will normally have much greater experience at diagnosing small issues that we mortals miss.    

• Like 1

I had very good experiences with the Leica service department. They will do anything in their power to make the repaired product as good as new, optically as well as cosmetically. If optical performance is under par after the repair it will not leave the factory. Sometimes they really perform magic and return your gear 'better' than new. Nowadays, it is rare to encounter service on this level (compared to any kind of high end product) and such pride in their work. Of course they are still human, but that is what warranties are for...

Ask for the repair bill to have proof of what they did. This is probably almost as good as a recent CLA without repair and possibly better. Because of the extra work, it will have gone through a more extensive QA procedure.

I would not pay a premium for this lens, but in most cases I would prefer this over a used lens with unknown past and performance.

• Like 1

Great advice above. Realize that NOTHING in this world is 100% bullet proof (in the context of things other than high velocity bullets). Like others said, don't pay a premium,  thoroughly check the lens out before making a commitment, and read the description of repair work done by Leica. Shouldn't be a big deal to make a decision if all of these steps are diligently followed..

• Like 1

Depends on the following:

• What was the initial reported problem? - front dents, or misaligned focus rings, cracked front element etc. 
  • Who repaired it? - If it was Leica there would be a detailed service report (assessment, repair carried out, parts replaced etc.) with an associated warranty.
  • What's the post repair condition? - Are there a lot of body scratches, paint loss etc. Leica usually doesn't fix these.
  • What's the sale price? - Is there is a significant discount to a new lens or even one in equivalent but undropped condition.
  • Your inspection.

Then, you can make a purchase decision.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1