Emailed M11 photos unresolved on Apple computers

John McDade

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would welcome some advice from the Forum.  The problem I have is when I email M11 photos from my Apple computer (27 inch, 2021 model) to my wife's Apple computer (24 inch, 2022 model): the attachment comes through but the picture is unresolved, in other words, it is fuzzy and lacking the clarity it had when it was on my computer.  This happens both with DNG and Jpegs.  Even when my wife tries to edit the photo, using the built-in Apple app, the problem remains.  But I can Airdrop the pictures to her computer and they come through resolved and sharp.  

This has only happened since I upgraded the OS system to Ventura.  My suspicion is that this has something to do with the issue.  Have others had this problem, and what advice would you give me?  I'm grateful for your help.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to this request.  I'm very grateful.  I've tried reducing the size of the files - down to 140 KB -- but there's no change and the files are still fuzzy.  Airdrop is clearly the answer, but I wonder if other computers receiving my emailed photos have the same problem of fuzziness.  Gives a bad impression of the quality of the files on the M11!  And of course the original files are terrific.  

I think I'll get in touch with Apple directly and see if it's got something to do with the Ventura OS.  There are often glitches with new upgrades.  Many thanks again, and best wishes. 

1 minute ago, John McDade said:

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to this request.  I'm very grateful.  I've tried reducing the size of the files - down to 140 KB -- but there's no change and the files are still fuzzy.  Airdrop is clearly the answer, but I wonder if other computers receiving my emailed photos have the same problem of fuzziness.  Gives a bad impression of the quality of the files on the M11!  And of course the original files are terrific.  

I think I'll get in touch with Apple directly and see if it's got something to do with the Ventura OS.  There are often glitches with new upgrades.  Many thanks again, and best wishes. 

I send regularly between macs at home (iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro), iPads and iPhones. No issues like yours whatsoever with email attachments but we did a test where we sent a jpg back and forth several times (between 10 or 20) and jpg artefacts started showing on the image. My rule thus is always send zipped images in email (only if necessary) or go Airdrop (if near) or WeTransfer (if remote).

9 minutes ago, John McDade said:

It’s not about reducing the size, it’s the opposite. Reducing the size is what is creating the low resolution.  

Try sending an image full size.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many mail system restrict the size of the mails that can be sent and all attachments to 10MB. Raw image files from a digital Leica are much larger than that. WeTransfer and similar services or cloud storage would be better suited for transferring raw image files.

1 hour ago, John McDade said:

You email program is probably recompressing the image.

I would use a service online to send the data. If you are sending the DNG files via email the result would be that they get stock in the outbox folder because they are to big. Apple tend to offload big data to iCloud, so does gmail too. the other side effect that you are slowing down the receivers email, imagine they have a slow connection.

I would use a data site, this come to mind. wetransfare, iCloud, dropbox, smugmug, ftp. 

Do you have the "Actual size" choice on your email?

There is nothing at all special about M11 jpgs

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 12/12/2022 at 5:19 PM, John McDade said:

I would welcome some advice from the Forum.  The problem I have is when I email M11 photos from my Apple computer (27 inch, 2021 model) to my wife's Apple computer (24 inch, 2022 model): the attachment comes through but the picture is unresolved, in other words, it is fuzzy and lacking the clarity it had when it was on my computer.  This happens both with DNG and Jpegs.  Even when my wife tries to edit the photo, using the built-in Apple app, the problem remains.  But I can Airdrop the pictures to her computer and they come through resolved and sharp.  

This has only happened since I upgraded the OS system to Ventura.  My suspicion is that this has something to do with the issue.  Have others had this problem, and what advice would you give me?  I'm grateful for your help.

Why don’t you use the tools provided by Apple? Airdrop, Handoff, AirPlay, Cloud transfer, screen mirroring, etc. There are many ways to do so. 
Otherwise just use Dropbox  

On 12/13/2022 at 5:24 AM, John McDade said:

raw M11 Images are 60MB-80MB each...far too big for email.

As others have stated "reducing the size of the files - down to 140 KB" is the root of your problem. A 140kb version of an M11 image will look extremely bad...do not reduce the size of the image this far. If you want to email images, use Lightroom or another editor to generate high quality jpeg files under 10MB...then they can be emailed. Otherwise use airdrop as others have suggested. Sending full res original files from the M11 via email is not a good practice unless you know the person receiving can accept large files (most cant). These issues are applicable to all cameras and hi-res raw images...it has nothing to do with the Leica M11, other than the fact that the images are large.

• Like 1