My M8 has died again. What should I do ?

eronald

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wonder if batteries and how we treat them is at the heart of things? I don't know what others do, but with the 2 bodies (one bought in January, the other in April) + 4 batteries, I NEVER charge a half discharged battery - just got into the habit of running it flat in the body (either during a shoot or by turning off auto display and leaving it on display) and then re-charge. As I'm able to maintain a rotation I don't have any problems working this way - and although I've never counted, I'm usually able to get a couple of days of documentary shooting from a full charge (not that I shoot machine gun style - I've never actually used the multi-shot mode....)

Interested to hear how other people deal with batteries.

Best

Chris,

This is completely opposite to what is normally recommended for lithium batteries. Battery sites and mobile phone manufacturers normally recommend lots of small part charges for these batteries with only a very occasional deep discharge to reset them. The always deep discharge was for NiCad batteries, which developed a memory. My three batteries have slightly different fully charged voltages by 0.1 volt.

Wilson

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Chris,

This is completely opposite to what is normally recommended for lithium batteries. Battery sites and mobile phone manufacturers normally recommend lots of small part charges for these batteries with only a very occasional deep discharge to reset them. The always deep discharge was for NiCad batteries, which developed a memory. My three batteries have slightly different fully charged voltages by 0.1 volt.

Wilson

I have read the same thing and it is what I do with all my Notebook batteries. I've had notebook batteries for 4+ years and they still hold a good charge and last almost as long as they did when new.

With the M8 once I see the battery go down one bar, and I'm home or away and have the charger with me, I change out the battery. If I'm out shooting then it may run down to one bar.

Put it this way I never leave home with a battery that doesn't show a full charge. If it is down at all I put a newly charged battery in and put the one that came out of the camera on the charger.

Ed,

100% agreement with you. I wish Hahnel/Leica had got their finger out and produced the twin charger for my South African trip. Would have saved having to get up in the middle of the night and change batteries.

Wilson