Any experience with the LG 24 inch monitor for the Mac?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am looking for an extra monitor. I am using ann Apple computer.

The search came out at the LG UltraFine 24MD4KL-B, that is a s 3800x2200 screen and 185 ppi. The colour gamma is   DCI-P3 98% - not bad.

It is 4K just like my iMac (2018) Retina screen. And the product presentation says: made for combining with the MAC. Good colours. "The perfect partner for the Mac". But the screen is said to be plastic - while the mac monitor has a glass cover & might then give a higher contrast and better acuity. I will use the native Thunderbolt. 

What are your experiences:

- do the natural colour fit and match the Apple native look and feel?

- is the pixel mapping good ? The Mac does a pixel mapping to enhance the text on the screen and improve the visibility. Is it sharp?

The mapping needs to be perfect, otherwise there are shadows and when moving and scrolling, lines could get an alias or flicker when moving; or all lines and text are faintly unsharp.

[My visus is 140 so I see the smallest deviation ...]

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So normally the 'standard for screen' should work right out of the box ... I don't want to go to the box "here's to the troublemakers" and least to be stuck with "here's to the crazy troublemakers. The rough ones who see things [with] different rules."

Any experience welcome.

Or - well, a nudge in a different direction? I'm always afraid of entering an Orwellian nightmare. 😴

I decided for the LG. I had a look at it. And the rendering is good. It even looks better for previews than the iMac Retina screen I had.

There is no shadows to the fonts. So pixel-mapping is good. Details and colours are good. [like always, some internet reviews were gloomy about the result, but that might be with windoze machines - but remember, this screen was designed for Macos (I have Ventura).

Using the Thunderbolt cable is a must dor the speed of interaction. (a good cable comes bundled).

Standard, the screen is set too dim, but you can increase the brightness easily to match the iMac screen.

Yes, 185 ppi is ‘large’, so to speak. Everything looks slightly bigger that with a 220 ppi screen.

Edited by Alberti

Just a tip: don’t install the so-called LG-driver software: it is an updater, nothing more.

And after I downloaded it (maybe co-incidence) the external USB-C port on the screen was not useable anymore.
I had a SATA disk inserted there for TM and it was not on the list of devices anymore. The TM stopped its backups. 

Had to revert to an older TM copy of two hours earlier. Luckily in the internal TM copy.

I don't know what the price of the LG monitor is, but wouldn't you be better off with a real graphics monitor such as an Eizo Color Edge (or NEC or Ben Q equivalent)?  The Eizo would be the primary monitor for graphics and the iMac overly bright and glossy display would be the secondary display.

Of you buy an Eizo CS 2420 which is close to the CG in quality ( less contrast which you don’t need and no automatic calibration) just over 700 Euro will see you home and you’ll never look back. 

https://www.cameranu.nl/nl/p1058905/eizo-cs2420-bk-24-inch-monito

The LG is at least one step behind. 

• Like 1

Thanks (too late) Looks very good - I should have that in a ‘buyers recommendation’ earlier.

Although some Eizo screens scare me with a native ‘low resolution’, the Eizo has an effective resolution similar to the LG or Apple monitors because those are scaled.
- At the same sort of viewing distance it is moot, 100% will look the same then.

Edited by Alberti