Leica M10-P SD card does not stay in its slot

Telemetric

5 hours ago, jakontil said:

You tried different sdcard? Very rare occasion spring broken on the slot compared to broken sdcard

5 hours ago, THEME said:

You made sure to insert the card the correct way? Front of card facing the battery slot?

Yes to both. 

i will have to use the A7R V this Xmas I am afraid…. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the verdict is:

We would like to offer as follows:

Disassembly

Repair printed circuit of SD card Adjust sensor position
Clean sensor
Repair leather / leatherette
Adjust electr. / mech. assemblies Adg. VF mask / frame line mirror refl. Clean range finder / view finder Adjust range finder

Software update Cleaning
Final inspection   550.00

40 "printed circuit, Card" 80

Total net: 630

Telemetric,   Sorry to hear the news about your repair.  But based on my experience with such, when you get the camera back, it will be like new.  Leica does a complete CLA and overhaul.  The camera is worth geting repaired.  r/ Mark  

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Telemetric,   Sorry to hear the news about your repair.  But based on my experience with such, when you get the camera back, it will be like new.  Leica does a complete CLA and overhaul.  The camera is worth geting repaired.  r/ Mark  

Yes but is the second time I have to send it there…. (One year ago problems with the viewfinder) and I am starting to think that Leica quality is not what I though. 

I never had problems with a lot of years using Nikon and about 6 years with Sony and, with Leica, I spent already 1.600 euros in technicam service in two yeara. Not bad for a camera that I only use from time to time (my main camera is a Sony A7RV) and I use it very carefully….

Definetely I am not gonna switch to the M11: the quality of Leica and the horrible magenta dominants of the M11 have made me took the decision. 

Edited by Telemetric

Telemetric,  I just saw you have a M10-P.  The repair estimate is for a lot of work to be done on your camera.  The M10 is one of the most reliable M cameras made so far.  You might send last repair bill that your received along and ask them to consider that aspect as part of the repair.  They might reduce the cost.  You don't know unless you ask Customer Care at Wetzlar.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Telemetric,  I just saw you have a M10-P.  The repair estimate is for a lot of work to be done on your camera.  The M10 is one of the most reliable M cameras made so far.  You might send last repair bill that your received along and ask them to consider that aspect as part of the repair.  They might reduce the cost.  You don't know unless you ask Customer Care at Wetzlar.  r/ Mark

I will try, thank you, but even if they reduce the cost I am afraid I took the decision already. 

if the M10 does not have any problem more, and if a future M12 have solved that horrible dominants of the M11, I will reconsider it but, right now, I am very dissaponted with it’s quality.   

I have the feeling that I had with my old russian film cameras; a lot of metal and heavy, that gives you the impression that they are well made, but plenty of problems. 

Everyone tells the story how it goes. This is how  it went to me so I think my dissapointment is understandbly.

Edited by Telemetric

Telemetric,   You are not alone with holding off on the M11.  Many who own it, love it, bugs and all.  I had a M11 on second day, thanks to my Leica dealer.  I used it for 6 weeks, 2500+ images, and concluded it wasn't for me.  I went back to the M10-R.  Right decision for me.  I will wait for either the M11-P or M12.  No big hurry for me.  I use the tools at hand and create photographs as I envision.  Your M10-P should come back in top notch condition.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

Just now, LeicaR10 said:

Telemetric,   You are not alone with holding off on the M11.  Many who own it, love it, bugs and all.  I had a M11 on second day, thanks to my Leica dealer.  I used it for 6 weeks, 2500+ images, and concluded it wasn't for me.  I went back to the M10-R.  Right decision for me.  I will wait for either the M11-P or M12.  No big hurry for me.  I use the tools at hand and create photographs as I envision.  Your M10-P should come back in top notch condition.  r/ Mark

Well, It should came in top notch condition past year too… :(

I understand you perfectly. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DOJ said:

** Edit

Oh I see I came to this very late and the camera is already with Leica. 

I’ve seen this issue a lot on the internet where little pieces of SD cards break off and prevent the SD card from clicking in place and you have to get in there with a pick and fish the little piece out.

So this may not have actually been a camera fault but a piece of an SD card that broke off. 

I actually have never heard of an SD card slot where suddenly you couldn’t click the SD card in. Even very old cheap laptops with SD card slots. The one thing that never breaks is that. 

The SD card is perfect. 
Thanks for your advise anyway. 

On 1/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, DOJ said:

Hmm. I wonder if something else got in there. Or a bent pin. Well. Hope everything turns out okay. Just tell them you don’t need a whole CLA. You just need a working SD card slot. 

This is the point: I have been shooting with digital cameras since they became the standard and I never ever had any problem with the professional Nikon reflex first, and Sony mirrorless later for the last 5 years. 

This is why I am starting to think if Leica is what they say.

Right now, I have great doubts. I frozen the investment in the M11 precisely for that. 

Then the Visoflex. I have the one. Is ridiculous, made of plastic, low quality, sometimes gets frozen... and was pretty expensive.

Is like to go to a restaurant: if I go to a cheap one and I don't like the food, I get upset. If I go to a expensive one and I adore the food, I pay the bill very happy. But... If I go to a expensive restaurant and the food is not what I expected.... then I get really mad (with myself) and I don't come back never ever. 

Right now, in Leica restaurant, the starters have been good but the main course has not. I will put the cam in quarantine and I will keep using it after paying about 1.600€ in services in just 12 months,  just after the warranty expired. 

Let's see.... 

Edited by Telemetric

Then they did not have to claim that the quality of their cams is superb.

According to the theory of the chain "chain is as weak or as hard has the weakest of its links". 

And we are paying here for very strong links. I only want in return what I payed for. 

Besides, according to that, is the rangefinder made in asia too? because is what failed one year ago...

Edited by Telemetric

On 1/15/2023 at 2:49 PM, DOJ said:

Hmm. I wonder if something else got in there. Or a bent pin. Well. Hope everything turns out okay. Just tell them you don’t need a whole CLA. You just need a working SD card slot. 

As Leica guarantees a repaired camera they will adjust it and check it out free of charge before returning it. The high price in this case it the location of the card slot and print (I suspect soldered in as one unit -break one part, replace both) They have to disassemble the camera to be able to replace it. The price of shoehorning 2022 technology into a 1954 camera is complicated repair procedures.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemetric said:

Then they did not have to claim that the quality of their cams is superb.

According to the theory of the chain "chain is as weak or as hard has the weakest of its links". 

And we are paying here for very strong links. I only want in return what I payed for. 

Besides, according to that, is the rangefinder made in asia too? because is what failed one year ago...

No. And they fail very rarely.

Anyway, gear made in Asia can easily be the same - or even better - quality as made elsewhere. The problem is stuff mass-produced by the hundred-thousands, like SD card slots.