Capture One (very) Beginner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been experimenting with Capture One as a possible replacement for my very old PSE 11  and am beginning to figure out the basics but there are a couple of questions which those more practiced in the application might be able to point me towards. I run on MAC 10.14.6 (Mojave) at present but if I can win with Capture One I might upgrade the OS to the 64 bit level.

IMAGE SIZE - Within PSE I could adjust image size ready for web posting by using "save for web" but I cannot fathom out similar in Capture One. Maybe I need to export somewhere then manipulate somehow?

TRAINING - Has anybody found the best training resources for Capture One which wouild be suitable for a real, and I mean real, inexperienced beginner?

Select the Export Tab  then look down a bit to "Export Format & Size".  You might need to click on the disclosure triangle to open the panel.  It will look something like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Here I selected a scale of 2000 pixels on the long edge which is my preferred web posting size.   The resolution is irrelevant -- it only sets a field in the image metadata.  I use Display P3. You may prefer sRGB as the color space.  Anyway, when you get things the way you like you can save this and all other options as a "Recipe".  Selecting the Recipe will set your saved values.

+1 on the Export tab. There are templates for exporting for web use and instagram, which you can adjust as you see fit. 
There are the usual YouTube tutorial videos but I started by looking at the Capture One tutorials on their website. Personally, I usually start anything by using the auto process button to get it in the ballpark and adjust from there.

Sascha Erni wrote a book on Capture One version 10 which obviously covers much of the basics, but I'm not aware of anything more up-to-date. You should be able to find a series of videos available for download on the Capture One website, and some of these are tutorials.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found a very basic series of youtube which is the most helpfull.  Yes, there are plenty of tutorials on the C1 sites but they seem to make several assumptions about the viewer's previous capability and terminology knowledge.

I don't know who the guy is but he is doing the videos based on Fujifilm equipment and explains the "why and how" in simple words stage by stage at a thoroughly slow pace.  Maybe too simple for many, but I am finding it the most supportive. Take a look . There are three tutorials which build gradually.