Leica Summicron R 35mm f2: ver 1 vs ver 2

wolan

AFAIK the V2 was designed by Walter Mandler, the older V1 version I don't know. That, and the anticipated better performance, but still full of lovely quirks, makes the V2 a pretty sought-after lens and relatively expensive.

I use the V2 35mm Summicron frequently with video and love it. But any lens of that time was less sharp than what we are used to with modern glass. At full aperture, the lens is sharp in the centre but not so much in corners at infinity. That improves when stopped down. Due to a pronounced bent focal plane from f2.0 to approx f 4.0, the 35mm Summicron R shows in specific environments an interesting dimensionality (you need stuff in the corners and a medium close-up shot) but renders faces relatively flat for a 35mm field of view compared to typical modern lenses. It's a superb filmmaker's lens, as it has a sufficient focus throw, renders a creamy bokeh, and loves to flare pretty nicely and easily but maintains enough contrast. For stills photography, I'd probably go the M route on digital cameras, as the M focuses quicker and is sharper at the edges. Plus, the 35mm Summicron R isn't much of a cheaper buy.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar quandry when I got into the Leica R system, years ago. I relied on Doug Herr's evaluation and comparison between the two, unfortunately no longer on the net, and got V2, which I found outstanding at the time. So I never got to test and never regretted not having V1.

• Like 2