Hi, i need help, which macro lens to choose to culinaires photo ?

gaetan69

What are you having difficulty with in making a lens selection?   Your lens should depend on your working distance and your need for foreshortening.   If you're shooting from directly above, likely the 60mm focal length range will be your choice. If you're shooting at an angle, a 100-105 would likely work better as it will get you back further from the subject and allow for a more natural viewing angle.  I myself prefer an MC21 adapted EF mount Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS macro for most studio  purposes as it gives better DOF control and a further-yet working distance.  It's really a matter of choice driven by the needs of the shoot.   Probably the Sigma 105 is the most versatile focal length for general studio work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaetan69 said:

And SIGMA 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art ?

Would work as well As any reasonably long  lens that allows close focus Light is more important for this kind of photography as is preparing the food in a manner that shows well on a photo. The taste is irrelevant, so for instance spray with oil for a nice shine. 

13 minutes ago, hepcat said:

What are you having difficulty with in making a lens selection?   Your lens should depend on your working distance and your need for foreshortening.   If you're shooting from directly above, likely the 60mm focal length range will be your choice. If you're shooting at an angle, a 100-105 would likely work better as it will get you back further from the subject and allow for a more natural viewing angle.  I myself prefer an MC21 adapted EF mount Sigma 150mm f/2.8 OS macro for most studio  purposes as it gives better DOF control and a further-yet working distance.  It's really a matter of choice driven by the needs of the shoot.   Probably the Sigma 105 is the most versatile focal length for general studio work.

SIGMA 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art ? Is good choice ? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gaetan69 said:

Yes, it's a good choice.  But the beauty of the L mount mirrorless is that you can also use just about any manual focus lens from just about any manufacturer.   I had a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 55mm and a Nikkor Macro 105 that worked fine using a Nikon to Leica L adapter.  I've since sold them as I've just never gotten on well with the backwards focusing helix and aperture rings.  I also have a 60mm Konica Hexanon-Macro that works quite nicely with an adapter.  Go with what works for you.

5 hours ago, gaetan69 said:

Can you describe your style of food photography?

I'm asking because you might not need a macro lens at all. Macro lenses generally focus down to 1:1 or 1:2, which is an area of 24x36mm or 48x72mm. That's quite small.

I've done a fair amount of food photography at weddings. In that situation, you want to show at-least a plate of food, and usually some context around it (servers, table setting, etc.). I sometimes cropped-in to something as small as a cupcake, but even then I could get by with a normal lens at minimum focus.

With that in mind, my suggestion for "which lens for culinary photography" is the same as for anything else: an APO-Summicron-SL. They all focus to 120x180mm, which should be enough. The focal length depends on your preference, but anything between 50 and 90mm can be made to work. There's a psychological effect at work: we are used to looking at food from a certain distance. You don't want to go too wide (where your lens/eyes is almost touching the food), or too long (more than arm's length), unless it's for effect.

I mention the Summicrons because they are "the best," and therefore "the best at culinaire." Frankly, any lens in that range will work, except maybe M lenses that don't focus close. You probably already own a suitable lens. The real secret to this type of photography isn't the lens, it's the lighting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/7/2022 at 8:21 PM, BernardC said:

I've done a fair amount of food photography at weddings. In that situation, you want to show at-least a plate of food, and usually some context around it (servers, table setting, etc.). I sometimes cropped-in to something as small as a cupcake, but even then I could get by with a normal lens at minimum focus.

--- snip ---

The focal length depends on your preference, but anything between 50 and 90mm can be made to work.

To cover the range as focal length between 50 and 90 mm, and not changing fixed focal lenses between.  (Tip / hint for topic starter)
What about using a Panasonic zoom 24-105mm / F 4.0  that cover the entire range in one lens, including very close-focus, as it has "macro" abilities. (Including image stabilisation as a combination of the body + lens itself).

Shall be not as good as native Leica lenses, but I think much more versatile and "quick" in those situations.
Also at close-focus (macro) distances, the Panasonic lens does a better job than expected for a zoom lens.
Check if you can rent such a lens, for some practical usage and evaluation of lens qualities for these occasions.
And you know if it could be a good balance in just taking pictures and the stress of fast changing situations by such events.

Nothing "nice" food in a restaurant.  Just my evening supper at home.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Babylonia