Mechanical, Electronic and Hybrid Shutter Settings

Sohail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I get the general idea of an electronic shutter versus a mechanical shutter but I've never really thought about what the different settings mean in day-to-day shooting. 

For the kind of shooting I do, I almost always leave my camera on in Hybrid mode (not really sure why), Aperture Priority, and at no les than 1/60s. 

I'm really curious to know how you use this shutter setting in your shooting. What can playing around with this setting do for me? How can it give give my greater control? What artistic opportunities emerge with judicious use of the shutter mode?

TIA
S

Electronic shutter is quiet, but has a rolling shutter effect in most cases for fast moving subjects, you get some banding in artificial light at some times, you can use shutter speeds at higher speeds than the mechanical shutter can. 

I never use electronic shutter unless I have to.

Hybrid means the camera switches over from mechanical to electronic shutter automatically if the exposure time needs to be faster than 1/4000th I think. 

Edited by jip

12 minutes ago, jip said:

Electronic shutter is quiet, but has a rolling shutter effect in most cases for fast moving subjects, you get some banding in artificial light at some times, you can use shutter speeds at higher speeds than the mechanical shutter can. 

Hybrid means the camera switches over from mechanical to electronic shutter automatically if the exposure time needs to be faster than 1/4000th I think. 

Thank you so much for this. On a practical level, in which circumstances do you find yourself using the electronic shutter other than say in a library or church? 

Posts 16 and 17 below suggest using electronic shutter for certain speeds, e.g., 1/80 to 1/160 (elsewhere I remember reading from 1/80 to 1/250) to avoid shutter-shock induced blur:

Edited by jigesh

31 minutes ago, jigesh said:

Posts 16 and 17 below suggest using electronic shutter for certain speeds, e.g., 1/80 to 1/160 (elsewhere I remember reading from 1/80 to 1/250) to avoid shutter-shock induced blur:

I get this on my SL2. Therefore I use electronic shutter 99% of the time. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use hybrid shutter outdoors.  I use mechanical shutter almost all the time indoors unless I am doing a multishot mode image which requires electronic shutter.  
I think ibis does a good job on eliminating any shutter shock which I don’t really notice.

Robb

14 hours ago, jip said:

1/8000

8 hours ago, MediaFotografie said:

I use electronic shutter most of the time too. Quiet - and: power consumption is much lower when using electronic shutter.

I doubt there is a difference in power consumption, considering how much power is used by the rear LCD and EVF.