I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M6 remains my first and most used M camera to this day. I bought this M6 used for about $1K in 2016, but it was originally manufactured in 1997. Here with the Leica Summicron 35/2 Version IV. If you look closely, the middle rangefinder window has some polarized foil from cheap 3D glasses taped on top of it. It dims a bit the frame lines but also reduced the patch flare issue significantly. My zero-cost way to mitigate the main M6 series culprit. 

The photo below is taken with Leica M-E 240 and Leica 50/2 Summicron pre-ASPH @ f/2.0. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Martin B
  • Like 10

M6 Panda, owned for 6? years. hadn't got a bottle of beer to put with it, so a miniature of Tassie gold instead (brought over by a pal in Melbourne - he's always taking Single malt miniature back to Oz).  Zeiss Planar 50mm, 6bit.

Digilux 2, f2.2 ISO200

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Birth year M6 (1985)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

Bumping this thread!  So what film are we all shooting with our M6’s.

I’ve got a roll of Portra 160 & Fuji 400h on the way to the lab and just loaded up another roll of Portra 400. 

I’ve never shot Pro 400h before so looking forward to seeing the results. 

Just loaded mine with Portra 400.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, erniethemilk said:

I’ve got a roll of Portra 160 & Fuji 400h on the way to the lab and just loaded up another roll of Portra 400. 

My M6 is predominantly designated for B&W shooting. Mostly I shoot with Ilford FP4+ 125 followed by PanF+ 50. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:35 AM, erniethemilk said:

I shoot B&W exclusively.  ISO 100 and 400 in the two bodies, respectively.  By default, I shoot FP4 and HP5, but at the moment I am using up some expired Tmax 100 and Tmax 400.  I develop everything in XTOL.  Final prints go on Ilford MG FB glossy paper.  Love the look.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Danner said:

I shoot B&W exclusively.  ISO 100 and 400 in the two bodies, respectively.  By default, I shoot FP4 and HP5, but at the moment I am using up some expired Tmax 100 and Tmax 400.  I develop everything in XTOL.  Final prints go on Ilford MG FB glossy paper.  Love the look.

I made twice the experience that Xtol does not work well in combination with expired TMax films. Maybe my TMax films were already too old or not stored well by the previous owner, not sure. I am also using Xtol as developer but tricky thing here is that there is barely a sign when it is going bad other than a slight yellowish tint maybe. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to revive this thread. 

I went to the big lake with my M6 Classic last week on a sunny day.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

My M6 has been in London with me for a couple of days this week. Wife’s hands always look better holding it than mine 😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just loaded my M6 with a roll of Portra 400. 😉

• Like 9

Got a new 28mm, here's a beauty shot, for your M6 viewing pleasure.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:35 PM, erniethemilk said:

Did you like the Portra 400 ?   I am usually shooting Tri-X for day-to-day, TMax for a more modern look (I find it produces incredibly sharp results).

I use Portra 400 regularly but despite shooting it over-exposed I find it a little more vibrant / saturated than how I imagine Portra to be known for.  I see a lot of lower contrast/pastel images shot with Portra than I am currently achieving with it)...  so I'm giving 160 a try and will shoot it at 100. 

Interested to hear your thoughts on Portra 160 v 400 v the Fujji 400h that you had 

I gather 400H is no longer being produced?

Edited by grahamc

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

Did you like the Portra 400 ?   I am usually shooting Tri-X for day-to-day, TMax for a more modern look (I find it produces incredibly sharp results).

I use Portra 400 regularly but despite shooting it over-exposed I find it a little more vibrant / saturated than how I imagine Portra to be known for.  I see a lot of lower contrast/pastel images shot with Portra than I am currently achieving with it)...  so I'm giving 160 a try and will shoot it at 100. 

Interested to hear your thoughts on Portra 160 v 400 v the Fujji 400h that you had 

I gather 400H is no longer being produced?

Yes, I’m a big fan of Portra 400, I like shooting colour film and shoot more of it than black and white film.

Like you I over expose it as I like that bright pastel look. I usually shoot at ISO200 and expose for the shadows, letting the highlights land where they are. I find with regards to saturation/vibrancy it really makes a difference on which lab I use and have found one here in the UK I’m happy with. 

I have shot a bit of Portra160 and it’s a nice film, a little more contrasty than P400. Usually shooting at ISO100, but here in the UK it’s not always an ISO100 kind of day so I find it’s use less flexible for me.  

Fuji 400h is discontinued now sadly.  I had a couple of rolls as a gift at Christmas, so have shot one and still have the other chilling in the fridge!  It’s a film that you seem to be able to throw all the light at it you want to and it keeps giving. A beautiful emulsion, only wish I’d bought more before it disappeared!

Currently I have a roll of Ultramax400 in the camera, so keen to see how that comes out. 

24 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

ore of it than black and wh

25 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

Yes, I’m a big fan of Portra 400, I like shooting colour film and shoot more of it than black and white film.

Like you I over expose it as I like that bright pastel look. I usually shoot at ISO200 and expose for the shadows, letting the highlights land where they are. I find with regards to saturation/vibrancy it really makes a difference on which lab I use and have found one here in the UK I’m happy with. 

I have shot a bit of Portra160 and it’s a nice film, a little more contrasty than P400. Usually shooting at ISO100, but here in the UK it’s not always an ISO100 kind of day so I find it’s use less flexible for me.  

Fuji 400h is discontinued now sadly.  I had a couple of rolls as a gift at Christmas, so have shot one and still have the other chilling in the fridge!  It’s a film that you seem to be able to throw all the light at it you want to and it keeps giving. A beautiful emulsion, only wish I’d bought more before it disappeared!

Currently I have a roll of Ultramax400 in the camera, so keen to see how that comes out. 

Ah great !  Thanks for all the feedback .  I've had great results also from P400 at 200 aswell as rated 320 then overexposed 1/3 or 1/2  a stop further by metering (which, thinking about it, probably amounts to more or less the same thing!) .  I meter for the overall scene though so next roll I'll also expose for shadows and see how that goes. 

I'm really looking forward to shooting the 160 I've bought also and kind of hoping it's a little more consistent in achieving those pastel colours. Could be user-error or perhaps just shooting duller days (where Portra returns more grey/brown colours in my experience).   I think over exposed in ample soft light is definitely where it shines for that particular look .  

It will be interesting to see how the 160 does comparatively under both condition.

Noted re the developers also.  I hear that asking them to scan with lower contrast may help achieve this look also, perhaps. 

Thanks again - I think I can track down some 400H so you've reminded me to give it a whirl 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Danner said:

Got a new 28mm, here's a beauty shot, for your M6 viewing pleasure.

Is the external viewfinder just added for the photo? or do you prefer using it to the built-in 28mm framelines?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Is the external viewfinder just added for the photo? or do you prefer using it to the built-in 28mm framelines?

As an eyeglasses wearer, the 28mm frame lines are more than challenging.  The Voigtlander finder is easy to see.  Looking forward to some zone-focused street shooting with the Elmarit ASPH, à la Garry Winogrand.

• Like 2