I Love My M6!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my M6! But ... I just sent it in for service, I've had some intermittent issues with the film advance lever locking up while advancing. I am able to flip the rewind lever, press the shutter and the advance then works, but it's getting tiresome as it becomes more frequent. Hopefully not a big problem, but we'll see what the technician says. My biggest concern is being without my beloved M6 while it's being serviced! 

• 2 weeks later...

Always been a big fan of Garry Winogrand's work and was watching a YouTube video about him and noticed the camera set up he was using:

StealthGW1.jpg

And I thought, "Hey, I've got that lens."

So I put together, what I call, my Stealthy GW:

StealthGW.jpg

Leica M6TTL w/Leica 28mm f2.8 & Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder

Best,

-Tim

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Always been a big fan of Garry Winogrand's work and was watching a YouTube video about him and noticed the camera set up he was using:

StealthGW1.jpg

And I thought, "Hey, I've got that lens."

So I put together, what I call, my Stealthy GW:

StealthGW.jpg

Leica M6TTL w/Leica 28mm f2.8 & Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder

Best,

-Tim

Smooth!  I love wide angles. Do you shoot stopped down all the time with that or spend time looking through both?

I ran into a panda today...

I love it!

Taken with M10 and 50 Apo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by plantagoo
  • Like 8

"Smooth!  I love wide angles. Do you shoot stopped down all the time with that or spend time looking through both?"

Still experimenting with it. Been trying to shoot with it stopped down to f8 and zoned focused from 5ft to Infinity and using only the external viewfinder. I occasionally reference the camera viewfinder just to check the light meter. It's been fun.

Best,

-Tim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

According to my camera usage spreadsheet my M6 had reached the top of the list for its next turn to be used, just ahead of the CL, Canon 3 and Contax 2a.

I do find the exposure indicating markers in the viewfinder annoying as they seem to be constantly telling me to adjust the exposure, its the only camera I have with a built-in meter that works and I am used to using a handheld meter.

These pictures were taken with my 28mm Elmarit-M, v3. FP4 in Rodinal, scanned from A4 darkroom prints. When I got the 28mm Elmarit recently it was very loose and had no lubrication inside. My Leica repair expert sorted it out and said that it may have been used by a "professional" who wanted it very freely running or had been used in the Arctic where all the lubricants had been removed to stop it freezing up !

The pictures show Albion the Norfolk Wherry at Upton to have the mast removed and stored for the winter.

See https://wherryalbion.com/ for more about Albion.

• Like 9

I run into that same problem with my M6TTL. There are times, not very many, where I am glad it has the built in reflective light meter. But mostly I just find the red LED arrows & dot in the viewfinder annoying. So I end up using an M4 and M3 much more often than I use my M6TTL. Shame really, as the M6TTL is the only Leica film camera I've ever bought new, and it works very well.

Best,

-Tim

On 10/30/2018 at 10:46 AM, Timmyjoe said:

But mostly I just find the red LED arrows & dot in the viewfinder annoying. So I end up using an M4 and M3 much more often than I use my M6TTL. Shame really, as the M6TTL is the only Leica film camera I've ever bought new, and it works very well.

Can't you just remove the battery from the camera to eliminate the LEDs in the viewfinder?  I have a friend who owns an MP and he removes the battery from his camera since he doesn't use the meter.  I keep asking him why he didn't just buy an M-A but I never get a good answer :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

Can't you just remove the battery from the camera to eliminate the LEDs in the viewfinder?  I have a friend who owns an MP and he removes the battery from his camera since he doesn't use the meter.  I keep asking him why he didn't just buy an M-A but I never get a good answer :)

Maybe he wants to use the meter someday !

Next time...

Show him your M-A and let him have a look in VF or lend him for a while.

Tell him that with M-A, frame lines are complete (with bottom line) for better framing.

Picked up an M6TTL with a .58x finder, pre-loved. 

It's to be my backup / beater / wide shooter pair with my M-A :)

Leica M6 TTL .58x by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

• Like 6

My latest love. TTL with MP .85 viewfinder. 

• Like 7

On 11/5/2018 at 8:33 PM, Abram said:

Picked up an M6TTL with a .58x finder, pre-loved. 

It's to be my backup / beater / wide shooter pair with my M-A :)

Leica M6 TTL .58x by Abram Goglanian, on Flickr

Very nice Abram.  Would you be so kind to post a picture of this camera from the side with the 28 cron attached?  What do you think of this lens on film?   Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the horrendously late response! I can definitely take a photo for you. As to how I'm liking the lens on film, I'd say quite a bit. It pairs really nicely with my other lens (50 Summilux ASPH) and they render in very similar ways. They are "transparent" lenses to me, in that they don't impart much character on an image, but presently that is what I prefer. 

Speaking to the 28 Summicron specifically here I very much prefer the build quality and hood of this version over its predecessor. I had way too much trouble with that lens falling apart and the lens hood was far too enormous to be used. I don't feel that there was anything lost in translation with the updated optical formula of this new version, it's just simply an excellent lens.

I do prefer the size of the 28 Elmarit ASPH (I haven't tried the v2) but I don't find the size objectionable (even with the hood) on my film bodies or my M10.

On 11/22/2018 at 11:06 AM, Abram said:

Sorry for the horrendously late response! I can definitely take a photo for you. As to how I'm liking the lens on film, I'd say quite a bit. It pairs really nicely with my other lens (50 Summilux ASPH) and they render in very similar ways. They are "transparent" lenses to me, in that they don't impart much character on an image, but presently that is what I prefer. 

Speaking to the 28 Summicron specifically here I very much prefer the build quality and hood of this version over its predecessor. I had way too much trouble with that lens falling apart and the lens hood was far too enormous to be used. I don't feel that there was anything lost in translation with the updated optical formula of this new version, it's just simply an excellent lens.

I do prefer the size of the 28 Elmarit ASPH (I haven't tried the v2) but I don't find the size objectionable (even with the hood) on my film bodies or my M10.

No worries.  Thanks for the reply.  I want to add a Leica 28 to the fold.  My only concern about the Cron is the size.  Based on what you’re saying it’s not too bad.  The Elmarit is pretty attractive too.  

Cheers 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got my first Leica last month. Time to save up for a Titanium 35mm Summilux to go with the M6! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/10/2017 at 2:14 PM, harmen said:

It was the year 2001 a few days ago.  I walked into the local Leica Store and found they had a new M6 TTL available.  It's not available anymore  ^_^

There is an update.  The light meter developed a fault and this M6TTL has been replaced with an MP under warranty.  Hats off to Leica for wonderful service!  Replacing a 2001 camera with one from January 2019 is amazing.

(In the spirit of appreciating the service, I should also share that my wife's M6TTL Dragon had a nasty fall about a year ago.  It had deep scratches and couldn't focus anymore.  When we got the quotation ahead of the repairs she decided to have the rangefinder fixed, but not spend money on a new top plate.  It nonetheless came back with a top plate so pristine that it must be either new or completely redone.)

I guess this now fits under "I love my MP"...

The Fotos app card in the package added to the fun today.  Still looking for the wifi in the menu 😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1