Analog vs. Digital - When to pick what?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I am quite new to film and happy that I have received the new M6 last week Friday. Therefore, so far, I haven't had the necessity to choose between the one or the other when going out. My general plan was not to replace digital at all. I haven't had a plan tbh 😉

Therefore it would be interesting for me, whether you have any occasions or personal guideline when to pick which camera! Of course, if in doubt, bringt both but I think we do not want to exaggerate the setup even more! 😉 

Curious to see how you tackle this! 

Cheers,
Jewl

Absent any business or practical requirements, isn't this a matter of personal preference? Try both, take notes, and evaluate your results. If one medium satisfies your requirements, then go with it.

If you find yourself trying to reproduce the results of one within the other, e.g., trying to emulate the look and "feel" of film in the digital domain, then ask yourself why and repeat the "experiment" (to the extent that it's feasible). It may well turn out that any perceived "differences" are not about the recording media but are intrinsic to the images, such as their respective compositions, presentations, etc. It's an iterative process, and with each iteration you learn something--if you're paying attention.

The hard part here is ignoring others' opinions about the putative benefits of one media over another. This comes down to your goals, and only you know (or will discover after some time) what you are trying to say or show with any one or series of images. (On this last point, don't ignore your audiences' opinions out of hand. If anyone makes the time and effort to look at your work, listen carefully to what they say.)

Work diligently, have some fun and use photography to learn something about the world and yourself in the process.

• Like 9

Romantic move in my view, @Jewl.

As old slides (Kodachrome) user, if this still exist, I would never go to digital M.

I've tried out many B&W films, this was more success for many years.

I still use B&W films along digital M.

So there would NOT be only one answer, moving from digital to film OR use film as another philosophy/esthetic image making.

Me, I can not use only film.

Here are some reasons:

- working post prod (film) is not pleasant job, processing chemistries hard to find

- digital "scanning" is another way of darkroom, time consuming process

- while travelling by plane, Xray problems can occur on films

Edited by a.noctilux

38 minutes ago, Tom R said:

The hard part here is ignoring others' opinions about the putative benefits of one media over another. This comes down to your goals, and only you know (or will discover after some time) what you are trying to say or show with any one or series of images. (On this last point, don't ignore your audiences' opinions out of hand. If anyone makes the time and effort to look at your work, listen carefully to what they say.)

I think this here is something that we, on online forums, tend to forget. Trying to create your own "voice" is hard work, and while not forgetting the importance of feedback, it comes down to yourself and your personal preferences. 

Personally, over a period of couple of years, I simply found myself grabbing a film body instead of a digital one, thus deciding to sell the latter altogether. Film is more fun and rewarding for me, and given that this is a hobby, who gives a toss about the benefits of digital. Now, if I were, say, a wedding photographer, I might feel differently.

I have presently a similar process going on with b&w film; I'm about to ditch that altogether. B&w seems too underlining and nostalgic, and while "capturing light" is easier in relative terms with b&w, it is more rewarding to succeed with color film.

I tend to use digital when I need the results right away, or when I want crisper results in the finished product. I like to use film occasionally because I still have several magnificent old (film) cameras, and because I till have a number of rolls in the freezer.. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am new to the world of leica having got a MP about a month ago, however for me the film vs digital division has been fairly clear so far. I use digital for project work / any professional work, also for wildlife. And film is for personal documentation, daily life, walks with the wife, travel etc etc

• Like 1

Despite having an MP, M2 and M4-P (plus a Canon F1n) I rarely use them I always go to my M9s when I want smaller format (35mm/Full Frame) because it is so much more convenient. I find with 35mm film these days the turnaround is too slow and I don't often (except fpr project stuff) take 36 shots so I'd either have so sacrifice part of the roll or wait until it is finished, neither are acceptable to me so on travel or walkabout/general stuff it is always digital. Where I do use film though it is 120 Medium Format when I am out tp purposely shoot a subject I find 12 shots just right of such events so no need to waste film or wait to get a roll finished.

• Like 2

I use both… but mainly film at this point if I am after a particular focus /theme or even a picture I want to print off. I feel film is more rewarding as I work to capture my end result. But, I will usually go out with my MA, plus a digital Ricoh GR as I know the capabilities of each, and sometimes shoot both on or near same subjects. 

I bought a new Sony A7II in 2018. Other than a trial run with some Zeiss  Loxia lenses, the only thing it has been used for is to scan negatives.

If I need a digital image for something immediate, I use my phone.

Edited by madNbad
  • Thanks 1

I use film if I have my creative head on, if I'm feeling ambivalent and I'm not sure I can even be bothered take the camera out of the bag I use digital. I do use my Nikon Z7 for scanning negatives and it's a fine camera, and I have an M10 that I don't think I've used more than a couple of times in the last two years. I find a Barnack Leica, or film M, a Nikon F, or a medium format camera (and a fridge of film) much more inspiring and able to convey what I want out of a photograph than boring old digital. In many ways I think digital has had it's day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hillavoider said:

digital at night and film during the day 

Would absolutely second this. Back when I was invested in making black and white prints, I went through a phase of shooting black and white film in an analogue Leica M during the day, and at night I would use my Leica M9M. I felt as though this played to the strengths of each medium, and all the images seemed to sit well together.

Ultimately, when anyone looks at your work, they never ask what type of camera you used, let alone whether it was film or digital. It's only ever about the picture.

Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

My current view is: I use a film camera if I am taking photographs; I use a digital camera if I'm taking pics.  😂

Photographs # pics

Mike, can you share the differences, please ?

If possible in photograph and pic.

returning to the question of the OP,

- when I use Xpan format (24x65), only film is allowed here, I have no choice in digital

- while always possible to stitch from several frames to mimic the pano, for me not as satisfied as direct pano from Xpan

• Like 1

Many thanks for the different perspectives. Not surprisingly, I opened (probably again?) a kind of philosophical discussion 😉 But very interesting to see each perspective! 

keep it coming! And no worries, I haven't expected to find the ONE answer...

2 hours ago, 250swb said:

I use film if I have my creative head on, if I'm feeling ambivalent and I'm not sure I can even be bothered take the camera out of the bag I use digital......I find a Barnack Leica, or film M, a Nikon F......much more inspiring and able to convey what I want out of a photograph than boring old digital...

How interesting, Steve. I'm the polar opposite in my approach / sentiments!

For my 'serious' personal work I'll always shoot with a Digi-M as that gives me files which are so much more controllable in terms of post-prod workflow and with better IQ into the bargain. For 'fun' shooting - for instance if I'm out with my daughter on a joint Photography Day - typically I'll use my Nikon F (although I do occasionally use the M2) loaded with B'n'W. For 'happy snapping' holiday stuff I'll normally use my 1930 Leica 1 loaded with C-41 Colour.

Clearly there's no 'One Size Fits All' answer to the question as posted.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3

I'm a long-time analog shooter who adapted to digital as well. I love both. Here is my two cents worth on the subject as it has worked best for me and provides the best shooting experience: Select the camera type and lens combo and shoot during that trip either analog or digital. Mixing both in a single can be confusing and frustrating.

Best luck to you,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike, can you share the differences, please ?

If possible in photograph and pic."

Sure BUT, remember, I am talking about how I see the picture vs photograph.  You may see it totally differently.  Mentally, it's the difference between a shot that "documents" I was there as opposed to trying to set up to get a more interesting photograph.  The color is the pic, the BW is the Photograph.   I AM NOT saying that film does this better than digital, I'm saying that I do it better (mentally) with film.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 1