Taking Bulk Film through Airport Inspection

williamj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/5/2022 at 8:56 PM, jukka said:

By way of forgetting a roll of exposed film into my bag, I actually have in development a roll that has gone through a ct scanner. By the end of the week I'll be able to report some findings on this :)

So, the report is; no visible evidence of fogging or any other trace of scan impact. Just crappy, no-keeper shots, which is a bummer. 

Now, given the smallish data set, this does not mean that I’ll give up on demanding hand inspections. That said, “getting ct scanned” appears not necessarily to be the end of the world.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, CT scanners ruin your film. I did not know about the new scanners they had in Schipol Amsterdam (I do not like flying - so I avoid if I can). The result was heavier grain and some waves - as reported by Kodak itself. The pics were still usable, but I would not risk it a second time. The film was scanned once in conventional small old scanners and once in the new one at Schipol. If I have to fly in future I am trying to get my film at the destination and develop it in the hotel room...(The film was Kodak TriX135 developed 1+1 in Xtol). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have put fresh films in transparent plastic lunch box, then in a small metal box, then a larger metal box then in my check-in luggage.

I was betting it passed through X ray, then got caught for manual inspection, hoping the x ray is not strong enough to pass through two metal boxes and the metal canister, and the transparent plastic lunch box got their mercy. 

Didn’t work.

• Like 1