Leica Vario Super Elmar SL 16-35mm on SL2 out of focus shots on longer distances

budjames

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I started getting random out of focus shots using my SL 16-35mm zoom on my SL2. The focus peaking shows in focus, but the images are blurry. I noticed this on images were the subject is a couple of hundred feet away. I was shooting outdoors in sun with the shutter speeds greater than 1/500s with image stabilization ON.

Has anyone else experienced auto focusing issues with this lens?

Thanks, in advance, your any comments.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

Hi Bud,

I‘ve had some issues in the past, but it was my mistake. The autofocus spot had moved into the corner when I put the camera into the bag. If the horizon function is switched on, this is hardly noticable. With wide angle lenses the wrong focus is not very obvious in the EVF.

Since I force myself to center the autofocus after switching on the camera, the problem is gone.

I would prefer a setting that would do this automatically when the camera is started.

Andreas

• Like 1

4 hours ago, budjames said:

I started getting random out of focus shots using my SL 16-35mm zoom on my SL2. The focus peaking shows in focus, but the images are blurry. I noticed this on images were the subject is a couple of hundred feet away. I was shooting outdoors in sun with the shutter speeds greater than 1/500s with image stabilization ON.

Thanks, in advance, your any comments.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography.

I have this exact same problem.  No idea what the issue is since does not happen on my 35/75 APO SC-L lenses. Need to do some more rigorous testing. How are the corners on your copy? Resolution across the entire frame? 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb budjames:

I have (fortunately) not noticed anything like that so far. I often use the lens on the SL 601 and the SL2.

1 hour ago, trickness said:

Happens occasionally for me even with the 35 and 75 SL APOs, usually when I’m using back button focus, but occasionally even with autofocus. It’s only maybe one out of 20 shots but it is definitely puzzling.

I'm a long time back button focus photographer.  When I first got my SL2 I set it up just like my Nikons.  Shutter does not activate autofocus, autofocus set to AF-C, joystick initiates autofocus.  Press and release joystick for stationary subjects; press and hold for moving ones.  Found that my SL2 does not work the same as my Nikons.  Press and release on a stationary subject results in OOF shots about 10% of the time.  I have to be in AF-S for that to work consistently.  Interestingly, if I press and hold in AF-C I consistently get in focus shots even on a stationary subject.

• Thanks 1

Hmm, do you have the issue on single shot or on continuous shot? I've noticed that for the slower continuous drives, the camera will try to focus new after the first shot (and also take a new exposure). It will take the following shot even if it didn't lock focus (it's great!).

So it's basically impossible to lock & reframe unless you assign exposure and AF lock on the joystick (it does work if you're in single shot mode or one of the faster options, where the camera has no time to re-lock focus and exposure). Exposure lock doesn't even work with manual lenses, here the joystick will always trigger the magnification.

It's a mess, but they don't seem to have the motivation to change it. Leica representative says, his friend's Nikon behaves similar, that was pretty much the only answer, no drive to improve the product.

Edited by insomnia