Which SL lens would you grab to shoot alongside a Q2?

robb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Curious which SL normal to longer lens would you pair on an SL2 body while also carrying a Q2 while out.  
I’d likely grab an SL 50 1.4 and shoot both wide open for both… or a 75 or 90 and shoot them and the Q2 at f2…

what does the group think?  I realize it would be subject specific but which of these three SL lenses would have a similar feel to the Q2 28 1.7?
Robb

Robb,  I personally take the SL2 and SL90 if taking the Q2 for some types of landscapes.  Its my just in case focal length when paired with the Q2.  The Q2 for me does really well up to 50 crop with the files. But sometimes, the 75 crop isn't quite good enough for what I need. IMO, of the 3 SL lenses compared to the Q2 28, I would say the SL 28.  I am certain others will share their thoughts as well.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

Robb,  In that case, I would say without cropping, IMO the Q2 28 is more like a SL50 Cron in normal range as you wrote.  The SL 50 Lux, IMO is a cross between the M 50 Noctilux and M 50 Summilux-Asph when shot wide open or at f/2.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

I have the Q2, the SL 50/1.4 and SL90. For my purposes (travel/reportage) this combo works really well. When I can, I take all three with me. If I have to leave behind one, it's the SL90, which I like for intimate headshots. When the weight wears me down, I leave the 50/1.4 behind. I use the 50 and 28 (Q2) in equal measure when I shoot.

I used to have 75. It was too close to the 50. 

On a recent shoot, I took out the 50/1.4 and Q2. For me, the Q2 gives you that classic reportage look:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I find it difficult to combine the SL2-S and Q2. I use the SL2-S mainly for theatre and performance, i.e. mainly for people in a dynamic situation, and often under challenging lighting. I would really like to have two cameras, one with a wide range and the other with a long range: Q2 and 90-280SL (or sometimes Q2 and Summicron-SL 90). Sadly the Q2 is not up to the SL2-S in performance for those scenarios, for two specific reasons: the low light performance of the Q2 is not quite good enough and the AF Face/Eye recognition is nowhere near good enough. I have given up trying to combine them; now I just swap lenses (24-90 and 90-280).

I look forward to the Q3, which I hope will bring improvements in low light and AF. I hope that more pixels will narrow the gap from a cropped image to the 90-280. I also hope that it will eliminate the 30 minute video limit (which may also mean better heat management) so I can use it as a second video camera in the theatre alongside the SL2-S.

As you say, it is subject specific - I am sure that for others scenarios there is good compatibility between the cameras.

• Like 2

If I am carrying Q2 and SL2 then it's only to have the 90-280 on the SL body (letting me do wider contextual shots and detailed / up close - often when I'm working on landscapes with birds in...).  Otherwise, I'd tend to take only the SL2 + 24-90.  Shot wide open this lens renders beautifully (IMHO) and obviates the need for two bodies (again - IMHO 🙂).

• Like 1

I already have the 35, 75, 90 and the 24-90 and 90-280...

Gave my Q-P to my son to use as a serious camera.  I'm going to add a Q2 or Q3 but was wondering if I add the 50 f2 or 1.4 which one has a similar "look" complimentary to the Q

I like the paired 75 and 90 combo's with a new Q body but wondering which 50 has a similar look of the Q2 or if I just stick with the long apo's I already own.

SO the main question was about the "similar look".

Robb

Edited by robb

19 hours ago, robb said:

SO the main question was about the "similar look".

Hard to say, I have the Q2, SL50 summilux and SL75 summicron, everyone special at its own. Prefer the 75 cron more then the 50 lux and that's the one I would pair.

• Like 2