Which sharp 50mm for the m10m?

Olaf_ZG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi 

Obviously fully support the ¨looks¨ thing 👍

Enclosed picture of two of the lenses being proposed: the M10 with 50 Cron V5 and M6 with 50 Elmar-M. Both do in my opinion.

In next post I make a size comparison.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 5

And here the size comparison.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

If the OP wants the lens to perform AND look good, there is absolutely nobody here that should judge him or shame him. [...]

Indeed. I don't care much about the look of my cameras but i don't see why my personal tastes should be shared by anybody else for whatever reason. 

• Like 1

All fine, but the "looks" thing crops up in every camera brand forum you can find. I've run into it in Fujifilm forums, Canon forums, and Nikon forums.

To say that with Leica the concern for looks is justified because they're Leicas and they're beautiful (I think they're beautiful too) is to remain quiet in the face of the commonly applied charge that Leica photographers are merely status-conscious poseurs. (Yeah right. Say that to Robert Capa...).

Look, I've been shooting Leicas for more than 50 years. My working group (I resist the term "collection") includes a IIIc, a IIIg, two M4s, an SL601, an SL2, an M246, and an M10M, along with a whole pile of lenses. The worst part about shooting Leicas (maybe the only downside) is when you run into a photographer who smirks because you're using a Leica, assuming you're therefore not a "real photographer", or who alternately comes on to you like a long-lost brother or member of the Water Buffalo Order with some secret handshake.

I was shooting large format in Gettysburg this past summer and kept getting interrupted by folks who thought my gear looked novel and old fashioned. Several wanted to take pictures of me rather than the extraordinary setting in which we found ourselves. I guess it bothered me. Mostly, it was a pain in the neck.  

So I understand. I just feel that form follows function, that the beauty of Leica equipment is in its single-minded elevation of engineering excellence above all other concerns. Let's be judged by our output, not our tools. 

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed for the Summilux 50 ASPH. Wonderful lens!

I apologize for taking this thread on a tangent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:15 AM, DadDadDaddyo said:

Without prejudice toward any posters in this present thread, I confess I don't understand the substance of comments about how a particular camera or lens "looks": not how it "sees", but how it "looks".

It's not a fashion accessory! It doesn't "go" or "not go" with one's outfit, one's hair, one's ensemble. Are folks actually concerned with how they'll look using it??

I think the answer to that question as far as most people on this forum are concerned is 'No, they aren't.' If the question were 'Do they appreciate the beauty of the object in their hands?' it would probably be 'Yes they do.'  

There's a huge difference between having a beautiful/impressive/expensive camera/lens because you think it makes you look good  - delusional at best -  and appreciating a beautiful camera/lens because as well as being a superb tool, it's a beautiful object which gives one great aesthetic pleasure.  My Leica M cameras give me a frisson of visual pleasure every time I pick them up, but far from flaunting them as fashion accessories I tend to be rather reticent with them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Erato said:

Ahh, then the Elmar-M 50mm f2.8 would be a best fit indeed.😃

Another vote for the Elmar-M 50:2.8 here .  I don't use mine enough because I prefer less-sharp lens, but it's fantastic and I must use it more.  FWIW it's very noticeably my sharpest 50

• Like 2

As I was yesterday at my dealer to pick up the Q, I tried some 50mm as well. In the end I went with a secondhand summilux asph (the one with the hood) in chrome. The sonnar will still stay, at least at the beginning.

Thank you all for your feedback.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the others who recommend a Summilux ASPH and I’ve just now read your last post.

I’m a huge fan of 50mm as a focal length and recently compared four Leica premium 50’s side by side. The Summilux ASPH, APO M, Noctilux f0.95 and the APO SL (the last one on my SL of course). The reason for the last lens was because I already owned it but mainly to compare against the APO M which I was considering. In terms of outright performance I concluded that the Summilux ASPH was by far the best all-rounder for dreamy bokeh shots right up to sharp contrasty shots. What was interesting was that I found the APO M not to be anywhere near as good as the APO SL. The SL version being outstanding and one of the best 50mm lenses I’ve ever used. I’m not saying the APO M is a bad lens, quite the opposite it’s very good but I didn’t feel it was worth the money for what it offered me personally and even suffered some purple fringing under extreme conditions (as did all the others to a worse degree) except the APO SL which I could not get to fringe at all. 

As the APO M is out of budget and you’ve made your choice anyway, that last bit was just for info and my opinion only. I think you’ll be very happy with your purchase and it will meet your needs and come in well under budget (especially if you trade in the Sonnar down the line).

Edited by 52K
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'll weigh in on the (obviously) biased thread.  I own all 5+ generations of Summicron 50s, the Summarit and the Summilux.  So, I have no dog in the fight, or ego to assuage because I bought one lens and believe that's the one you should go with.  I would advise the Summicron V4 or 5. Across the entire aperture and focal range, it performs the best for sharpness & flare.  The Summilux is faster but just doesn't have the all-around usability as the Summicron (image quality, size, weight, cost).  The Summarit f2.5 is only marginally slower and most people couldn't differentiate between it and the Summicron f2 at 200% (which of course is pointless anyway).  You don't want to spend the money on the Summilux so it becomes a moot point and one not worth arguing about.  You could get a Summicron Rigid as well but it's not quite the level of the Viii, V iV or V.  However, again, almost no one (if any) could tell the difference unless flare, or internal ghosting gave it away.  Again, I would get the Summicron 2.0 that fits into your budget. If you don't have the budget ($1200-$1500 US, your location may vary), then (and only then) I would grab a Zeiss 50 f2 Planar.  

Edited by DenverSteve
  • Like 3

On 12/8/2022 at 8:42 AM, Olaf_ZG said:

As I was yesterday at my dealer to pick up the Q, I tried some 50mm as well. In the end I went with a secondhand summilux asph (the one with the hood) in chrome. The sonnar will still stay, at least at the beginning.

Thank you all for your feedback.

Beautiful choice! Enjoy!

Now and then, I will see that a pre-owned, well-preserved, silver-chrome Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, and will start counting my pennies, to see if I can afford it, even though I already the black version. Silver or Black, these are beautiful lenses, and the handling qualities, and the images rendered are the reason I added the Leica M system, in early 2018. I decided to buy my specific Summilux ASPH, before I knew which M camera I would be acquiring. (The lens was pre-owned, available at a local Leica dealer, where I tried it on pre-owned and demonstrator cameras.)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 3:02 PM, DadDadDaddyo said:

I was shooting large format in Gettysburg this past summer and kept getting interrupted by folks who thought my gear looked novel and old fashioned. Several wanted to take pictures of me rather than the extraordinary setting in which we found ourselves. I guess it bothered me. Mostly, it was a pain in the neck.  

So I understand. I just feel that form follows function, that the beauty of Leica equipment is in its single-minded elevation of engineering excellence above all other concerns. Let's be judged by our output, not our tools. 

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments expressed for the Summilux 50 ASPH. Wonderful lens!

I apologize for taking this thread on a tangent. 

I like anything I am using to be aesthetically appealing. Whether its a car, watch, squash racket, mobile phone .... that's just me. I get a kick out of top engineering that has a layer of beauty design. Like the old European navy ship builders did in the 17th century, with all the functional stuff they had to do, they still found time to sculpture the bow and aft as well as putting their favourite female torso at the front.

On the subject of Leica M, I actually find it to be much more low key then large mirrorless or DSLRs. Also, for some reason, people object much less to their photos being taken by it. I have had many comments. Mostly people come up to me and say "nice camera". Once a guy came to me and said "a quick question if I may, do you think Leica equipment takes better pictures then other cameras". Difficult one! I said "its up to the photographer, but although Leica lenses are not the best any more, if you do get one you are still guaranteed of being in the club of best lenses. The rest is just the compact size and manual workflow, if you like it, its very special and unique." He seems satisfied with that one ....

• Like 2

Here is an image taken with the APO

And here are a  couple witht he Lux.  The car shot to me is exceptional in IQ and I cannot see how a lens triple the price would do better.  The woman sitting is not perfectly focused, but I am adding it becasue it does show a slightly softer rendering wide open.  This said, the focus is my issue not the lens (as you can see on the car shot)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2