Speculation: Hasselblad H lenses or Contax 645 Lenses on S 007

rollsman4

The Contax 645 35 mm is a nice and sharp lens. I used to have an HC35mm. and sold it because the Contax lens was lighter. Both lenses are sharp from corner to corner on the S cameras. I have both adapters and still keep the HC50-II which is excellent. 
Please note that the new HC and HCD lenses with the orange square 🟧 mark will not work with the S to HC adapter. Only older Hasselblad H lenses are supported. The reliable sync speed is 1/500 with the leaf shutter. 

I don't have wide angle only Contax 55mm.

My thought: The Contax adapter is quite expensive, and when you see S used prices I would rather buy a S wide angle lens instead of a con tax (or Hassy) wide angle lens + adapter. I don't think you would save much money and the S lenses are great.

I enjoy the 55 Contax though, quite compact and a good lens.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 4:46 AM, ynp said:

Please note that the new HC and HCD lenses with the orange square 🟧 mark will not work with the S to HC adapter. Only older Hasselblad H lenses are supported. The reliable sync speed is 1/500 with the leaf shutter. 

This may be a myth; I use 150mm and 210mm Orange square lenses on my S007 with no problems. The leaf shutters work up to 1/1000th while pre-orange dot lenses go up to 1/750th. I have the latest firmware on both camera and lenses which may help.

AF on the H lenses is accurate and at least as fast as it is on an H or X body.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, steveash said:

This may be a myth; I use 150mm and 210mm Orange square lenses on my S007 with no problems. The leaf shutters work up to 1/1000th while pre-orange dot lenses go up to 1/750th. I have the latest firmware on both camera and lenses which may help.

AF on the H lenses is accurate and at least as fast as it is on an H or X body.

Most probably the mistake on my side , sorry if I have provided the misinformation. I tested the new orange square 80mm on my S2 years ago and the lens was not recognized by the camera or adapter. Maybe the firmware problem, as you said. 

Thank you. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Anyone comment about Contax 645 lens, say 80mm, 120mm, or 35mm on digital back vs. on S?

I don't think that anyone offers Contax-mount backs anymore, so you'll be looking at systems from the mid-2010's, at best.

I never had a Contax 645, but I had a Mamiya kit from the same era. The P30 back that I used hardly compares with an S. It's limited to base ISO (noise is horrendous from ISO 200), it's slow to use, it's clumsy, and it's poorly integrated with the camera. Serviceability was an issue 7 years ago, I doubt it's better now.

Several different backs were available over the years, and they all have their quirks. I recommend looking through the archives at GetDPI to see what people say about the specific back that you are considering. I don't think it's worthwhile recommending any one model, they were only made in a handful of units in Contax mount, so it could take years to find a good one. You'll also need to confirm that a particular back doesn't require "unobtainium" accessories like batteries, cables, etc.

On the plus side, you can swap the digi back with a film back, and experience those cameras at their best.

20 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Contax with digital back is not a problem, ISO 800 is well acceptable, battery is easy to get.

Which back is that? They were extremely rare a few years ago, so I'm surprised that any modern backs are available right now. I did a quick search of the usual suspects (only a few dealers are serious about this kind of stuff), and the best I could find was an IQ180, at 12-year-old back that becomes a noise fest at ISO 400. Mind you, it's great at base ISO.

1 hour ago, BernardC said:

Which back is that? They were extremely rare a few years ago, so I'm surprised that any modern backs are available right now. I did a quick search of the usual suspects (only a few dealers are serious about this kind of stuff), and the best I could find was an IQ180, at 12-year-old back that becomes a noise fest at ISO 400. Mind you, it's great at base ISO.

My pal used a Leaf back (33MP?) with his Contax 645 kit. Don't know about higher ISO, but its output was lovely.

1 hour ago, mgrayson3 said:

My pal used a Leaf back (33MP?) with his Contax 645 kit. Don't know about higher ISO, but its output was lovely.

That was probably the Leaf equivalent of the P30 that I used. It was indeed quite lovely at base ISO. The S-006 blows it out of the water, but it's hard to complain about any medium format digital back when you keep them within their performance envelope.

6 hours ago, BernardC said:

Used, modern or not is your call.

5 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

MF works best on tripod。I hardly use high ISO.  For fast moving object, I prefer smaller format.  To the extreme, for example, I use Nikon D850 with 200-500mm for sport and birding.