M11 meter no working in rangefinder mode

nemesisrobot

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I'm not sure if there's a setting I'm missing, but I cannot for the life of me get the meter working when using rangefinder mode, i.e. LV off.

When I'm looking through the rangefinder, and I change my exposure settings, the exposure indicators do not change, even when it's clearly over/under exposed. Has anyone run into this? Is there a setting I need to change, or is there an issue with my camera?

EDIT: I did a factory reset and the meter updates now. I'm still not sure what it was that was causing it not to work. I've changed the settings to what I had previously and it's still working fine. Maybe a bug? Any way I'm going to keep this post up in case anyone else experiences this issue!

Edited by nemesisrobot

6 hours ago, nemesisrobot said:

Hello,

I'm not sure if there's a setting I'm missing, but I cannot for the life of me get the meter working when using rangefinder mode, i.e. LV off.

When I'm looking through the rangefinder, and I change my exposure settings, the exposure indicators do not change, even when it's clearly over/under exposed. Has anyone run into this? Is there a setting I need to change, or is there an issue with my camera?

EDIT: I did a factory reset and the meter updates now. I'm still not sure what it was that was causing it not to work. I've changed the settings to what I had previously and it's still working fine. Maybe a bug? Any way I'm going to keep this post up in case anyone else experiences this issue!

This can happen when the camera freezes... 

The meter on mine gets stuck at some arbitrary low shutter speeds when I'm in the menu or playback mode where only a half button press would activate the meter again.

So I think your camera may have been in some semi-frozen state that a reset kicked it out of.

Keep an eye out for it though... its not normal behaviour and I hope it doesn't come back.

Edited by hmzimelka

8 hours ago, hmzimelka said:

This can happen when the camera freezes... 

The meter on mine gets stuck at some arbitrary low shutter speeds when I'm in the menu or playback mode where only a half button press would activate the meter again.

So I think your camera may have been in some semi-frozen state that a reset kicked it out of.

Keep an eye out for it though... it’s not normal behaviour and I hope it doesn't come back.

I think you’re right! I do remember the camera locking up shortly after I got it and I had to reboot the camera to get it working again.

16 hours ago, nemesisrobot said:

When I'm looking through the rangefinder, and I change my exposure settings, the exposure indicators do not change, even when it's clearly over/under exposed.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually take pictures when the meter wasn't responding and if so how did the pictures turn out?

Im wondering if you had auto ISO on and perhaps it was compensating while you changed shutter and aperture.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Kwesi said:

Just out of curiosity, did you actually take pictures when the meter wasn't responding and if so how did the pictures turn out?

Im wondering if you had auto ISO on and perhaps it was compensating while you changed shutter and aperture.

Yes, I did.

I shot in full manual mode and used a handheld meter. The pictures came out properly exposed and the EXIF data reflected the correct shutter speed and ISO. Now that I look back at those photos though, they all report f/1 aperture. I know the M11 can only guess the aperture but probably another indicator that something was not quite right in the camera internally.

• Like 1

BTW when I said the exposure indicator did not change, I observed that the camera would take an initial reading on power up but it stays at that initial reading.

So if the initial reading was “Under exposed” with arrow pointing right, it would stay there even if I did set the correct exposure afterwards, or overcompensate into overexposure.