M6 battery cap finally

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back in May I ordered a replacement battery compartment cap for my original M6. I placed the order with B&H, NYC, and over the course of the past few months B&H kept me updated on its backorder status. Finally, the other day received an email advising me the cap had finally come in. Received it today, $16.95. I purchased it as a spare.

• Like 1

I have never lost a battery cap from any camera during the 45 years I have been photographing. Is that Leica cap more likely to be lost than any other cap? I mean, I own an M6 but can't see why it would be more susceptible to loss than any other random cap.

Maybe it is just me. When I look at all the missing rubber finder oculars on Nikon FM/FM2/FE/FE2 cameras, I also wonder how people manage to loose them. I have probably owned 6 of those cameras since the early 80's and never lost a single one.

Agree!  Normally, I have no trouble losing things but I've yet to accomplish losing my M6's battery cap.

FWIW, in my experience, the best way to find a lost object is to buy a new one to replace it.  The lost one will quickly re-appear.  I don't know how the lost-item gods make that happen but they consistently do! 🤔

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, nitroplait said:

I have never lost a battery cap from any camera during the 45 years I have been photographing. Is that Leica cap more likely to be lost than any other cap? I mean, I own an M6 but can't see why it would be more susceptible to loss than any other random cap.

Maybe it is just me. When I look at all the missing rubber finder oculars on Nikon FM/FM2/FE/FE2 cameras, I also wonder how people manage to loose them. I have probably owned 6 of those cameras since the early 80's and never lost a single one.

With the M7 the cap fits via a 1/4 turn w detent.  Because it is plastic I can see that detent wearing out and so could lose it.  It does not screw in like the M6 or MP which would be much more secure.

I have lost a bunch of those Nikon finder surrounds, and seeing how many cameras are there w/o them it is obviously an issue.  Even though it has not happened to you.  I have even lost a couple off my Fuji GW690III which uses the same part!  They very easily and quickly unscrew if you carry the camera via the strap across your body.  Nikon finally addressed this with the F6 (and maybe the F5) where the vf blind mechanism locks the finder surround.

3 hours ago, Huss said:

With the M7 the cap fits via a 1/4 turn w detent.  Because it is plastic I can see that detent wearing out and so could lose it.  It does not screw in like the M6 or MP which would be much more secure.

You would have to change the battery rather a lot for that to happen. Because of the need for two batteries on the M7 a screw cover would not be suitable.

20 hours ago, Matlock said:

You would have to change the battery rather a lot for that to happen. Because of the need for two batteries on the M7 a screw cover would not be suitable.

I always take the batteries out of my cameras when I don’t use them, so it happens a lot.

9 hours ago, grahamc said:

In australia we can no longer sell / buy these (or cameras with them )

Because we are a danger to ourselves , apparently.  

LOL, sounds like California in the US, where pretty much everything is illegal, you know, for our own good.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 7:48 PM, edstock said:

Back in May I ordered a replacement battery compartment cap for my original M6. I placed the order with B&H, NYC, and over the course of the past few months B&H kept me updated on its backorder status. Finally, the other day received an email advising me the cap had finally come in. Received it today, $16.95. I purchased it as a spare.

For future reference, LeicaStore Miami usually has battery covers in stock.  Although, they charge about $25-$30 for them.

7 minutes ago, Matlock said:

If your camera is not being used why do you keep taking the batteries out and replacing them "a lot"?

I have many cameras that I cycle through.  The moment I stop using one, I take the batteries out.  I put the batteries back in when I use them again.

It's not that difficult to follow along is it?

2 minutes ago, Huss said:

I have many cameras that I cycle through.  The moment I stop using one, I take the batteries out.  I put the batteries back in when I use them again.

It's not that difficult to follow along is it?

Not difficult but rather unnecessary. With lithium batteries there is absolutely no need to remove them unless the camera is laid up for a lengthy period. No wonder you are concerned about damaging the battery cap.

9 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Not difficult but rather unnecessary. With lithium batteries there is absolutely no need to remove them unless the camera is laid up for a lengthy period. No wonder you are concerned about damaging the battery cap.

Very good, you are starting to understand.  Took a while but you got there.

From Leica's owner manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Huss

23 minutes ago, Huss said:

Very good, you are starting to understand.  Took a while but you got there.

From Leica's owner manual:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The sort of response I was expecting from you. Note it says "extended period of time". I realise that you know a lot more than me as I have only been using a camera since 1953. I will try to reach your standard one day 🙂 .

Edited by Matlock

50 minutes ago, Matlock said:

The sort of response I was expecting from you. Note it says "extended period of time". I realise that you know a lot more than me as I have only been using a camera since 1953. I will try to reach your standard one day 🙂 .

It’s ok.  As long as you realise that.

:)