M11 User Profiles

Ton Ton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any User Profile is Set to Active. However, after shooting a few frames the Set Active Profile spontaneously changes back back to Default Profile without any changes initiated by myself. I am aware Profiles are overwritten (p.p. 62/63 English Manual) and Menu List figure changes. But there is no indication why it goes back to Default Profile and then shows in Menu List as original chosen Profile no longer Active!??

5 hours ago, Ton Ton said:

Any User Profile is Set to Active. However, after shooting a few frames the Set Active Profile spontaneously changes back back to Default Profile without any changes initiated by myself. I am aware Profiles are overwritten (p.p. 62/63 English Manual) and Menu List figure changes. But there is no indication why it goes back to Default Profile and then shows in Menu List as original chosen Profile no longer Active!??

I could never figure this out either...

These weird software decisions must be a Leica thing;

The other day I got frustrated with the illogical file numbering behaviour of my M11. I went from L1009999.dng to L1020001.dng. Skipped over L101xxxx entirely. Then a week later the camera was back at L100xxxx.dng without resetting the file numbering, updating firmware or using any other SD card.

I'm hoping these things get ironed out eventually if enough people send an email to Leica support. 

May happen when using another coded lens than the one chosen in the user profile, or any coded lens when none is chosen in the user profile. Leica gives priority to Leica lenses hence coded ones in order for them to be recognized automatically but it is just a guess. Otherwise there is apparently a bug in the touch screen screen which says that the default profile is on while the settings of the user profile are still active. My solution FWIW i consider touch screen a gadget for ados but it's just me :D.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Ton Ton:

it goes back to Default Profile

But it is only displayed as default profile and has not all settings of the default profile, right? If You change any setting that is stored in a profile (exposure compensation for example) the M11 shows default, because it is not totally the chosen profile. Same behavior since M9. 

This is absolutely right. I presume that that its what you have done @Ton Ton

Assuming you are in profile 2 (active profile) then once you change any setting you do NOT see that profile 2 anymore. But the profile 2 is NOT overwritten as you write in your initial post. I think that you misunderstood the manual on page 62. What is written there is the following: Assume that you have a stored a profile 2. You make now changes in the settings of the camera and now you decide to store that setting. When you choose now your profile 2 as the target profile (and NOT a new position 3 or 4 or whatever) then that profile 2 is overwritten. 

Back to your case: Assuming that you have the profile 2 as the active profile. You shoot and you make some changes to your settings (or maybe you make no changes at all but change the exposure time, ISO etc). Then in the overview menu the profile 2 does not appear anymore. But by no means you are in the DEFAULT profile (which corresponds to default settings). You are still in profile 2 plus the changes you made. When you go now into the overview menu and there you choose profile 2 again then you are back where you started: Pure profile 2.

It is advisable that when you start shooting you should check which profile you are in. So you make sure that you have the settings you expect for your sceene.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, M11 for me said:

[...] You shoot and you make some changes to your settings (or maybe you make no changes at all but change the exposure time, ISO etc). Then in the overview menu the profile 2 does not appear anymore. [...]

Profile 2 should still appear when settings that are not stored in said profile are changed manually, like exposure time or ISO in your example IMHO.

11 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

That is then a feature request. I would be in support of that 🙂

Feature or bug? If the camera still behaves like having profile 2, the fact that its icon disappears in the touch screen does not sound normal... Just a question though :cool:.

Hope I'm in right box!?

Thanks for all advice/observations. Yes on choosing say 2 profile and then make changes these stay even if camera turned off and appear when turned on. Overwritten but not destructive as chooing 2 Profille again is, as indicated here 'Pure 2'.  I understand Profiles cannot be deleted. However, any changes made (all if necessary) can be saved over the existing Profile 2 and becomes the new Pure 2 again. It's not necessary for a Factory Reset to delete if wishing to initiate/replace allbeit every settings changes to the exising Profile.  

There is another related intermittent issue. If choosing a Profile which is Active via touch to Status Screen without then any changes made,  on turning camera  off and on it sometimes shows  previous chosen Profile as shown as active (head and shoulder image with number etc.) other times not?  But on delving down into camera settings, when Profile not shown as Active  finds all settings as per Profile that was set on turning off camera. So going back to above Pure Profile is still there and active but no changes made with Profile Active image which would normally change head should image with no number. Sommetimes it shows Active  other times not on camera off and on.

There is a Cancel on left shown in same Status Bar as Profiles but tapping this does not seem to do anything I can see which would alter above intermitten outcomes?

1 hour ago, Ton Ton said:

There is another related intermittent issue. If choosing a Profile which is Active via touch to Status Screen without then any changes made,  on turning camera  off and on it sometimes shows  previous chosen Profile as shown as active (head and shoulder image with number etc.) other times not? [...]

Which lens were you using in this example? Coded or not coded? Included in your profile or not?

OK may happen when using different uncoded lenses or both coded and uncoded lenses alternatively. Just tried with two coded Summicron's (35/2 v4 and 50/2 v4) with no problem at all. The camera prefers coded lenses apparently, not that surprisingly.

I cannot replicate test as no coded lenses. However Redot Cameras confirm about Profile being still there/hidden etc. One thing that does happen when inputting uncoded lenses details shows no change initially but then after choosing again from manual list shows correct lens. Only takes a second so no problems just a bit irritating. Don't miss shot  as camera 'sees' perspective of lens on camera anyway. 

• Like 1

Yes there are some minor bugs around lens selection and/or user profiles but uncoded lenses can work normally upon two conditions, either they are hand coded or a user profile is properly set up for them. I have not my crystal ball on hand but i would be surprised if the next firmware update changes anything to these conditions.