Green Man -Broughton Castle

lambroving

I can vouch for how difficult the light was here, William. I think that a completely satisfactory result would have required a tripod, which none of us had. My attempted hand-held shot of the same subject was lamentable, if you will pardon the pun. I wonder if it would be better to crop right in on the head? Incidentally, did you notice that the head appears to be upside down? It looks as if it has been removed at some time and re-inserted wrongly.

Best wishes,

Chris

Chris,

Really enjoyed the visit to Broughton. For one thing, it was COOL inside! :) The light was mostly brutal though and I didn't get much considering. Did manage three interior shots at 1/15th with my 28 somehow which are decent. I'm going to send them to Ron to lightly edit because I haven't the software or the talent.They don't need much and are really lush, far better than anything in the castle literature. Watch this space...

As for the Green Man, yes he's upside down and it appears the sculptor indended this, given the support function this archtectural detail serves. Maybe an upside down Green Man is good luck?! (You're the Oxford man! :) ) I'm afraid I don't see your crop. DOF is razor-thin and I like seeing the Green Man in context.

Probably Ron with the 75 managed something less centered. I'll include another gent, not on a corner. Can't imagine who he is, but your friend probably knows.

M5, 50/1.4 ASPH, f1.4@1/15th, Portra 160 VC.