The M9 magic!

twogun

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Everytime I think about moving from my M9 to an M10-R, I start reviewing the "M10-R photo thread" on here and my catalog of M9 images and I get pulled back in to my senses to hold on to it longer.  I appreciate what this camera can deliver after all these years despite its inconveniences compared to the newer bodies.  Here is an example of one of my images from earlier this year, unadjusted/SOOC M9 standard JPG color output. I appreciate the personal time back from not having to spend time color grading or editing in Lightroom :)  For reference this is in Mexico City.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by twogun
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, twogun said:

what do you use now?

I've drifted around a little.  I shot Phase One, and XF and DF with a Leaf Credo 40 for about seven years after I sold the Leicas.  I just recently sold that.  I had Fuji X-T1s for about three years, but wasn't happy with the crop sensor.  I had a Nikon Df for a couple of years.  I now have a Lumix S1 with the 24-105 kit lens and seven Leica R lenses adapted for it.  I like the Lumix a lot.  While the color OOC isn't quite what the M9's was, the files are quite malleable.

sometimes the M9 produces quite a special image, I think folks see what they want to see with it and there's no harm in that.

I haven't had my M10R long enough to really get a sense of what the images look like compared to what charms me (OMMV) with the M9 (which I still own)

I did a few times make a point of comparing the M10 and the M9 and the way I did that was too shoot the same thing, at the same time, with the same lens and the same exposure settings. The only difference being that I used 200 ISO on the 10 and 160 on the M9 (when you do this incidentally 9 times out of 10 -no pun intended- the 10 suggests the same SS at 200 as the M9 does at 160)

NOW I HAVEN'T EDITED THESE that's NOT because they don't need editing, it's because I'm showing how the files arrive in LR, if I didn't do this (ie if I started lifting shadows, and changing WB to taste etc) then I'd be showing you edits and not SOOC DNG, which seems counter productive...

The M10 v M9 'look' (with profile adobe standard) is quite different, but not a billion light years apart IMHO. M10 typically is darker (despite the higher ISO value) 

I don't really have any M10R and M9 images. It's been monsoon season since I got my 10R !!

I did get out yesterday...

Now these ARE edited and all M10R (I'm sure my editing style with the R will change as I own it longer and use it in more places and situations)

I wouldn't like to say that they're "M9-a-like" but I'm liking what I'm seeing with the 10R.... (YMMV)

Of course when 'we' edit M10 files they don't appear any where near as flat and boring as the SOOC DNGs I showed above

Above is all M10 and all edited

So personally I think the look of the camera depends quite a lot what you do with the files in post....

Now for me (OMMV) the charm of the M9 is that often the files need very little in PP work, but the newer Ms need more work, but rewarding never the less...

All the cameras are capable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

sometimes the M9 produces quite a special image, I think folks see what they want to see with it and there's no harm in that.

I haven't had my M10R long enough to really get a sense of what the images look like compared to what charms me (OMMV) with the M9 (which I still own)

I did a few times make a point of comparing the M10 and the M9 and the way I did that was too shoot the same thing, at the same time, with the same lens and the same exposure settings. The only difference being that I used 200 ISO on the 10 and 160 on the M9 (when you do this incidentally 9 times out of 10 -no pun intended- the 10 suggests the same SS at 200 as the M9 does at 160)

NOW I HAVEN'T EDITED THESE that's NOT because they don't need editing, it's because I'm showing how the files arrive in LR, if I didn't do this (ie if I started lifting shadows, and changing WB to taste etc) then I'd be showing you edits and not SOOC DNG, which seems counter productive...

The M10 v M9 'look' (with profile adobe standard) is quite different, but not a billion light years apart IMHO. M10 typically is darker (despite the higher ISO value) 

I don't really have any M10R and M9 images. It's been monsoon season since I got my 10R !!

I did get out yesterday...

Now these ARE edited and all M10R (I'm sure my editing style with the R will change as I own it longer and use it in more places and situations)

I wouldn't like to say that they're "M9-a-like" but I'm liking what I'm seeing with the 10R.... (YMMV)

Of course when 'we' edit M10 files they don't appear any where near as flat and boring as the SOOC DNGs I showed above

Above is all M10 and all edited

So personally I think the look of the camera depends quite a lot what you do with the files in post....

Now for me (OMMV) the charm of the M9 is that often the files need very little in PP work, but the newer Ms need more work, but rewarding never the less...

All the cameras are capable.

I suppose it's only correct to have some edited M9 images too!!

Now these are all only thumbnails, not a great deal for 'you' to really see... and my personal tastes of colours and edits are likely to be very different to yours

But for me.. M9/M10/M10R they don't render the same, and I wouldn't use the word magic (no offence intended to those that do) but I can make each of these cameras produce colours and tones that I find pleasing (and other people do too with my work, but not always of course)

Perhaps the M9 scores as often being the easiest to get strong colour and "bite" from the it's images, but all of the them offer the to capacity to please

• Like 3

On 11/27/2022 at 10:24 PM, twogun said:

@Ko.Fe.

I enjoy shooting high contrast (crushed shadows and strong highlights) mostly in late afternoons for street work. The low dynamic range of the m9 fits the bill for the scenario. Still contemplating the m10-r

Something I can't figure out how to do it in my M-E220 without going all manual.

I asked one professional, who is using M10 for work and street and he is also using S16 for metering :) .

I don't see any dynamic range issues on image provided. In term of real dynamic range.

But YT observers (technically illiterate) calling dynamic range  how far it is possible to recover their sloppy underexposed images. While if image is underexposed it is strictly technical error and completely avoidable, if you are photog, not YT reviewer. :) 

11 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

Something I can't figure out how to do it in my M-E220 without going all manual.

I asked one professional, who is using M10 for work and street and he is also using S16 for metering :) .

I don't see any dynamic range issues on image provided. In term of real dynamic range.

But YT observers (technically illiterate) calling dynamic range  how far it is possible to recover their sloppy underexposed images. While if image is underexposed it is strictly technical error and completely avoidable, if you are photog, not YT reviewer. :) 

:) interesting insight in your last comment about YT observers/reviewers.  For the majority of the time I photograph on the streets at ISO 800 even 1600 during the day + 1/1000s shutter speed or higher at f/8.0 or f/11.  Easy to kill the shadows this way :)

Edited by twogun