Technical question about freezing/not responding

LeitzFanz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have experienced 2 or 3 occasions during the last year where the camera had to be restarted. I don’t really count that as an issue. 

First was obviously a faulty SD card. It would fail to write DNG files sometimes, also when it was in the card reader and I was saving files it would disconnect on its own. And when using that card the frame lines would disappear and I would have to turn off the camera and turn it back on. 

Bought a new SD card and never happened again. Until one day after a quick succession of pictures the shutter wasn’t responding (I am not sure if it got stuck writing a file because i turn the LED off), the buttons wouldn’t show anything. So pressing play or menu wouldn’t do anything. But turning the camera on and off fixed it. 

So my question is, I’ve heard freezing where people have to remove the battery. I’ve never had to remove the battery. Just turning on and off. 

so would you say if the person has to actually remove the battery and put it back in is a proper camera “freeze”, and on some occasion that you had to turn it on and off it could be more of a writing error with the SD card?

Is there a difference between turning on and off and frozen to the point you have to take out the battery?

PS: I have just bought the new read 200/mbps write 130/mbps Sandisk card. I think the M10R should’ve had UHS-II card support. 

Edited by LeitzFanz

I'd say both are classed as a freeze since you weren't able to use the camera after the issue occurred and had to switch it off and on again. Even though the off switch I guess isn't technically a hard off as if it's recording an image it will continue to do that etc. You still had to switch it off which probably shut down power to some part of the camera that's not used for saving etc, which reset it.

Edited by Henners

My M10 Monochrom routinely freezes at ambient temperatures below zero degrees centigrade, the result being images where the shutter lags, fails to function at all or the camera simply does not respond when the shutter release is pressed. IMHO, all of these scenarios represent a dysfunctional camera. Oddly, my M10-R has thus far not experienced any of these issues when exposed to the same conditions. Same card types used on both cameras with batteries fully charged and swapped out when at 40%. Makes no sense whatsoever and extremely frustrating as I love winter landscape and rural photography, but the M10 Monochrom is very much hit and miss.

Edited by jplomley

Digital Leica has 3 types of freezes:

1. Shutter button freeze (CLASS C): Changing the angle of the shutter button pressure usually helps, many times the removal of the soft release helps.
2. Camera freeze type 1 (CLASS B):  Where the ON/OFF switch solves the problem
3. Camera freeze type 2 (CLASS A): Where the only thing that helps is pulling the battery out. The latter can *sometimes* be resolved by using UHS-1 cards, avoiding Sony cards and formatting your cards via computer with a dedicated program.

My M10-R has all three freezes randomly, my M10-P has no freezes whatsoever.