SL2 Video Focusing - is this pre-focus?

Rob L

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve never shot video, except for very rarely with my IPhone. I’m getting ready to shoot my son’s wedding ceremony. He has a pro doing stills but asked me to tape the wedding. I’ve played around quite a bit  and am totally confused about how to use auto-focus for this. It seems that when I’m filming, that the camera is constantly pre-focusing. I have this option off for stills, but can’t find that option in the video menu. But It actually works pretty well for slow moving subjects except for the fact that my SL APO lenses are noisy. My sigma 45 is silent. Anyway:

Is this pre-focus or is something else going on? If I’m using one of the Auto-focus modes like Intelligent Autofocus or Continuous, do I have to keep hitting the shutter release or joystick to focus or will it track on its own?

Honestly, use manual focus. Even the best AF don't know what you want to have in focus. That is even more true on events when people walk erratically around and make the AF  jump. While this often doesn't matter much with stills, with video, focus hunting and arbitrary focus pulls make the sequences unusable.

• Like 1

Consider renting a camcorder or professional video camera. The SL is great for personal work, but video cameras are made for events like weddings: they have long battery life, solid microphone inputs, they usually come with a case that fits the whole system (camera, lens, batteries, charger).

Other things you'll want: a tripod with a video head (for smooth pans), and a microphone system. The easiest way to record sound is via a "shotgun" mike on-camera. That won't get you the best sound, but it should be intelligible if the camera isn't too far away, or if the venue has amplified sound. Things get more complex from there, probably more so than you want to go.

Find a niece/nephew to operate the camera during the ceremony. They just need to make sure that the red blinking light stays on, and that the framing is acceptable. You'll have other things on your mind.

The advice above applies if your son really wants you to "tape the wedding." It's  likely that the couple really wants short clips to share on social media. Most couples don't expect to "plop the wedding tape into the Betamax" in 2022. They want the highlights. If that's the case, the SL (SL2, SL2-S) is a wonderful tool, and you should have a great shooting position. Take some short clips of key moments: getting ready, walking down the aisle, rings, first kiss, dancing, whatever makes sense in your two families' cultures. Be sure to include important family members and guests (on both sides), and some ambiance to show the location. Put the camera down, enjoy the rest of the event. Don't go crazy on the technical side: choose lenses that aren't too wide or too long, pre-focus, keep your subject reasonably centered. Let each clip start and end naturally (which is harder than it sounds when you are used to capturing the "decisive moment").

One final note: don't get in the way of the paid photographer's shots. Social media is "cinema vérité." Let the professional line-up the perfect shot down the aisle, your shot will feel more authentic if the angle is a bit off and the couple is obstructed by guests as they walk away.

• Like 2

Piping in with my two-cents/pennies. On their 25, or 50th anniversaries they might want a photograph or two on display. So make sure that you make some prints - if you don’t print it it doesn’t exist. In 25 years, chances are good that the video will still be available, another 25 years and chances are that whatever storage it is saved in will simply be obsolete if at all existing. Such as Betamax tapes, etc.,etc…