Curious as to why Live View Feed isn't 100% (LCD or Visoflex)

hmzimelka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So today I wanted to frame up an image rather accurately, and I just assumed that Live View, be it via LCD or Visoflex, would show the 100% of the image.

I was quite surprised when the images recorded were wider. 

By guessing, the Live View feed is around 97-98% of the total frame, which becomes very obvious when on a tripod and switching from Live View to Playback after taking an image. 

Is this deliberate? Certainly doesn't seem intuitive to me...

4 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I hadn't noticed it myself but will try to replicate it next time. Only thing I can imagine is that perhaps they do this so they can show a more "stabilised" view in LiveView? 

Yes, it is a bit wider than what you see in LV. Your explanation makes sense. To stabilize the LV, the camera must crop the view a bit.
Interesting.

Make sense that the stabilizer would do that, that is what happens in video editing too.

the other option could be Lens correction for distortion.

SL zoon lenses shoot wider but crop a bit to remove the strong pillow distortion. the Q2 is really a 24mm and adjusted to 28mm.

Not sure is the SL2 actually shows less too. will have to check.

17 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

Make sense that the stabilizer would do that, that is what happens in video editing too.

the other option could be Lens correction for distortion.

SL zoon lenses shoot wider but crop a bit to remove the strong pillow distortion. the Q2 is really a 24mm and adjusted to 28mm.

Not sure is the SL2 actually shows less too. will have to check.

The M11 system doesn't correct for distortion as far as I know. Only vignetting and colour shading depending on lens profile.

I still see no reason to have a stabilised full image view. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by hmzimelka

14 hours ago, hmzimelka said:

Sounds reasonable, but why stabilise an un-zoomed feed? Doesn't seem like there is a need for that, much apposed to the usefulness of a stabilised image when cropped in.

So I looked and my M11 indeed does have this as well, my M10M does not. I am pretty sure that it is stabilised, and reading online a lot of the early reviews mentioned it being a new feature as well. So it is indeed a new M11 feature to have software based stabilisation for both LiveView and EVF. As to why they decided to do this when not zoomed-in, I don't know. I think with low-light it could add value as it is usually a little slower so having it appear stabilised helps. But also when using zoom lenses it could be useful to have this I think? I don't know though, I don't work there lol

But, if you use liveview for exact framing I can understand that this feels annoying because you don't capture what you see anymore. Would be nice to have an option to turn that off, but then again we also know Leica does not like adding too many options to their menus.

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I didn't know the M11 had a stabilised LCD or EVF. I mean I know it has no mechanical stabilisation, but does it have electronic/digital stabilisation?

Yeah, part of the feature set surrounding the M11 was a stabilised Live View feed when zoomed in, which is VERY useful when coming in to 100% or 200% for focusing. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I didn't know the M11 had a stabilised LCD or EVF. I mean I know it has no mechanical stabilisation, but does it have electronic/digital stabilisation?

Yes, M11 has electronic/digital video stream stabilization.

• Like 1