MP240 and the classic 50MM F2 SUMMICRON

iriscaddis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings Leicaphiles, I was almost scared out of my mind from Leica Los Angeles that I cannot use the 50MM Summicron on my MP240. They said it would damage the focus wheel behind the bayonet mount. So - I did not even try it.  I can understand not using the the goggles of the close-focusing would not work but what about just using the lens?  Anyone have thoughts out there.  I use the lens on my M6, M4P and the color is just amazing - warm, wonderful tones, especially for portrait.   

Appreciate to hear from others.

I also checked out Ken Rockwell's page and he goes into some details but it does not stop him from using the lens. https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/50mm-f2-dr.htm#usage

For those of you in the States, happy Thanksgiving btw. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by iriscaddis

I have an M240 and, alongside a 50 Summilux, I have the DR 50mm Summicron. I can confirm that it doesn't work on an M240 (unless you get the Dremel out). PIty, as it's a lovely lens.

I did try it when I first bought the lens, not knowing that there was any issue, and basically, it wouldn't focus to infinity - there was "resistance", that I didn't force.

I did get this out of it, on the day that I tested it. The depth of field took care of the tree. But I wouldn't do it again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have used for many years the Summicron DR.

With M240, the lens can be mounted with some precautions (Cautions ! ).

Before mounting, turn the focus ring to about 1.5m (about 5 to 6 feet) then the lens will mount on the M240.

Then it can be used with the close adapter RF using as usual from closest to

The lens can focus to about 5 to 10m (15-30 feet) no further...

To unmount from the M240, remember to set focus ring to about 5-6 feet.

The so called 50mm Summicron Rigid is better choice for digital M.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

There are many non-dual range 50 mm Summicrons of that age to be had. I just traded my 1968 so called ‘Rigid’ at my dealer for some other stuff. I used that lens with everything from the M4 that it came with to my other film Ms and then a M9 and M-P (240).    I purchased current versions of 35 and 50 Summicrons just because I wanted newer lenses, and there is a difference in the images made with the older and newer lenses, but nothing wrong with the older ones.