Summicron F2.0/50mm black, ver IV but ver V design?

Tommy Hansen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summicron F2.0/50mm black (BJ. 1996) (11826), SN 3756560?

According to Leica data base this lens is a Summicron version IV, but i don't understand and need some help.

This lens:
- has a retractable lens hood
- lacks focus tab
- are 6‐bit coded
- weighs 240gr
- are manufactured 1996

If it after all is a version 4, then what is the difference to version 5?

Hope someone can bring some clarity to this.

/Tommy Hansen

Edited by Tommy Hansen

• Tommy Hansen changed the title to Summicron F2.0/50mm black, ver IV but ver V design?

"version 5", with built-in hood sans focus tab, is the designation the current variant of Summicron 50 non apo is usually given to distinguish it from the previous variant aka "version 4" with focus tab and sans built-in hood. v5 is not an optical version, given that both lenses have the same optical design, reason why Leica is giving both the same version 4 number. They have different Leica code numbers anyway: 
• V4: 11819 (black), 11825 (silver)
• V5: 11826 (black), 11816 (silver), 11615 (silver, 50 jahre), 11619 (silver M39), 11624 (titan), etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rabunmoss said:

To avoid confusion call them as

50f2 11817 (v4)

50f2 11826 (v5)

11817 is v3. Has not the same optics as v4/v5. Has no tab either.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

Much the same case as with the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH v3, which I usually just call "E46" to avoid saying v3, because some say there are only two versions of this lens; the last one has only exterior changes. 😉

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

Much the same case as with the 50mm Summilux pre-ASPH v3, which I usually just call "E46" to avoid saying v3, because some say there are only two versions of this lens; the last one has only exterior changes. 😉

Would be so simple :D. There are in fact (at least) two variants of v4. The first one, made in Canada, has blueish reflection and a convex focus tab ("tiger paw"). It is an early copy producing a bit more veiling flare than v5.

The second variant, made in Germany, has a concave focus tab with reddish reflection and same IQ as v5 below.

The 11615, the 50 Jahre Special Edition of the Summicron-M 50mm, with 1979 optics, had an actual mechanical difference, that Erwin Puts found, when comparing it to an original-pattern Version 4. (This one commemorated 50 years/jahre of the 50mm Summicron.)

https://photo.imx.nl/leica/lenses/lenses/page92.html

This is yet another indication that a change can be made, that is not merely cosmetic, in a Leica lens, without Leica declaring a new/different “Version.”

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 5:16 PM, Artin said:

Kind of browny/amber colour I believe same as the current 

Not to derail his thread but curious how you liked this lens.  I am potentially looking to purchase a copy that has a very close serial number to yours.  I currently have a Zeiss 50mm F2 planar that is great, but I've always wanted to pair Leica glass with my M6. I know there will probably not be much noticeable difference in performance but it's that itch that I need to scratch  ha ha. Thanks