Leica IIIf film advance problems

MRMoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Leica IIIf which has served me well for a few years, however recently I have found that when turning the winding knob, the knurled knob itself it will simply spin and not actually advance the film. However, if I push down on the top of the knob and twist where the film speed indicator is, it will advance the film.

I believe the knurled knob has become disconnected from the actual advance mechanism. Does anyone have any advice? Is it a quick fix or should I send it to be professionally fixed? 

a grub screw, visible through the hole in knurled part connects knurled part with a sleeve which is screwed on advance axis, if it is missing the knob will fall apart. But itfsits in then the transport shall work properly. There is however one thing - if you lift the n#knurled part (as on left photo) you mea set the film speed dial but abndvance will be not acgtivated. When you release knruiled part is shall return by itself to neutral position and clutch it with the advance axis. There is a spring inside the knob that shall do returning but if knob is drity inside you may need to "help" by pushing it down. Is it maybe you case?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

35 minutes ago, jerzy said:

a grub screw, visible through the hole in knurled part connects knurled part with a sleeve which is screwed on advance axis, if it is missing the knob will fall apart. But itfsits in then the transport shall work properly. There is however one thing - if you lift the n#knurled part (as on left photo) you mea set the film speed dial but abndvance will be not acgtivated. When you release knruiled part is shall return by itself to neutral position and clutch it with the advance axis. There is a spring inside the knob that shall do returning but if knob is drity inside you may need to "help" by pushing it down. Is it maybe you case?

Yes the screw is in, and if I push it down it still does not wind. I have to press the actual knob in the middle to wind the film. 

I have tried to remove the screw but it will not seem to come out. 

most probably the screw does not sits properly, is not screwed in. Can you unscrew the knob? Possibly you will need to press it in the middle. But I am afraid that this will not work and you will need to insert the screw properly into the thread and screw in 2-3 turns, then unscrew. TRhe screwe must be that much in the the sleeve is mechanicall connected to the rest of the knob but not that much that it fixes it on the axis. Could be tricky. Common mistake whene tryinig to unscrew the knob is to remove the grub screw, then you are lost. Screw shall be released 2 rotations only and then the knob unscrewed.
For understanding how the knob works - grub screw sits in one of the groves which are part of knurled ring. If you pull up knurled ring you move the groves up as well and they releaase the grub screw - you may rotate the knurled part, grub screw slides over the groves. When knurled part retirns down screw junps into one of the groves and when roptating the knob it will rotate the sleeve and the axis.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

So try to unscrew the knob and see why it does not work so on your knob

Edited by jerzy

Thanks, in between my writing of my first response and your response to that I managed to release the screw which had become loose over time I believe, and had got stuck between the two components. I then screwed it back in and it seems to work properly again. I have screwed the grub screw back in as far as it goes, like in the photo you posted. Is this the correct amount? Looking at photos online it appears that it should be almost flush with the knurled knob however when it is screwed in fully it leaves a sort of hole. 

Edited by MRMoore

vor 8 Stunden schrieb MRMoore:

have screwed the grub screw back in as far as it goes

it shall be OK, screw must be fastened pretty strong, so that unscrewing the knob without using any tool is not possible. If it is loose it may happen the same as you had now. On knobs with film speed dial screw is shorter, like yours, otherwise rotating the knurled part only would not be possible. On knobs without fils speed dial it is usually flush, (if not replaced with a shorter substitute).

• Thanks 1