Hole in the front of the Leica M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 3 Stunden schrieb lmans:

All leicas charge a premium:)..  why would I want a light meter ‘downgrade’ on my MA? The MA is the apex of purity. 

No visible indent or ‘out dent’ on mine… go figure. 

Yes. And a piece of tin plate as the seal of untouched virginity. Seems you took the bait 🙂

7 hours ago, Fotoklaus said:

Yes. And a piece of tin plate as the seal of untouched virginity. Seems you took the bait 🙂

No idea what you talking about. But do know that the MA is pure… no crutch needed to take a pic… hole or not. Good luck on your ‘learning’

Am 22.11.2022 um 15:35 schrieb comte de Mazan:

Here is.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The top cover looks like black paint to me which isn't a standart finish for a M-A anyway. So maybe a transformation job from MP to M-A on demand?

16 minutes ago, kaspart said:

The top cover looks like black paint to me which isn't a standart finish for a M-A anyway. So maybe a transformation job from MP to M-A on demand?

I think it's a photo from an old thread where somebody turned an MP into an 'M-A' and rather than just take the battery out they gutted the camera.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 250swb said:

I think it's a photo from an old thread where somebody turned an MP into an 'M-A' and rather than just take the battery out they gutted the camera.

@kaspartIn a previous thread, posted to this thread, the image was identified as coming from the French site summilux.net.

However, using an image search I located it to a Flickr page dated 28 June 2012 for Fotopia Gallery and Photo Equipment. As you and @250swb suspect, it definitely is a modified MP, apparently as a work of art, not what an 'M-A' looks like under the skin. One to trick the unwary.

I'd post the flickr link but it just gives another copy of the photograph, if I figure out how to post the link without it expanding I'll do that.

Edited by williamj
add more information

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wrote it after sending the photo. It's a limited edition MP classic, very similar to the MA that followed.
The MA does have this circular brass plate, just look at the photos published where the relief of the part clearly appears  under the coating, I don't think it's an illusion.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Fotoklaus said:

I´ll stick with my M2. That is pure silky brass Leica. No marketing gag.

Also it has real vulcanite, is available with a self-timer, and has the purest, simplest framelines of any M. The M-A though - the draw for me would be the super bright and contrasty viewfinder. An M2 with M2 framelines, and the rangefinder from the M-A. That would be nice..

The MA has it all…. Framelines, beautiful viewfinder… quality. No gimmicks… no crutch (light meter)… no markings. Leica took the best of all versions and created the perfect all mechanical camera that allows one to concentrate solely on taking images. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1