SL2-S rolling shutter examples - could Leica warn about it?

MRJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

The point of this post was to show that Leica does warn about horizontal stripes. 

They do, after the fact, in the problem section, but not about the risk in general when talking about the electronic shutter. They do not talk about the limitations of the electronic shutter in the section where they introduce it, that would be a proper place to warn. Should they feel a need to do so? I do not know, some people here seem to think such knowledge can be assumed, others would probably appreciate to be sensitized. - However, what I meant initially was a software implementation to warn in the camera body about flickering light on location based on an actual read, like some other camera manufacturers seem to be able to do (Sony was mentioned). For a camera which automates so many things, I would personally not mind if they made it easier for me to avoid it. 

Am 23.11.2022 um 13:08 schrieb Almizilero:

An unfortunate combination of light frequency and readout speed. I don't know any camera that is completely immune to this, but the Sony A1 and A9-series come close. Their readout-speeds are very fast and I almost never have issues like this. Additionally, they warn of flicker and have the ability to go into a special mode where you can adjust the shutter speed in the tiniest increments to match the light flicker. I never got into the science of this because it was basically never necessary. This is one of the reasons I still keep my old A9 around. AF-speed and accuracy and flicker resistance for concerts. But I use the SL2-S whenever I can, the ISO performace and colours are just something else! But I do take a couple of test shots at every venue just in case. If I see this, out comes the A9!

The Canon R3 has also "flickr alarm" and the ability to slightly adjust the exposure times to avoid this problem.

Maybe its possible Leica integrates someting comparable via firmware?

The other question is - why would you use electronic shutter in such low light situation with the SL2-S and not mechanical shutter instead?

I use it with the R3 because I get 30 fms/sec only with electronic shutter. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:45 PM, tom0511 said:

The other question is - why would you use electronic shutter in such low light situation with the SL2-S and not mechanical shutter instead?

Because in certain situations, like a concert, a poetry reading or a theatre play for example, the shutter sound could disturb the performance

• Like 2

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/apparel/sound-blimp.html

This is what I have used at concerts for years

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1