Question about Leica M converted Contax/Zeiss 16mm Hologon on M10 Monochrom (as well as MP)

Sunyforreal

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve been eyeballing a Leica M converted 16mm Hologon on eBay now for a while, it was a lens I always wanted when I had my Contax G2 but wasn’t a huge fan of that camera. I’d love an M Mount converted one, has anyone mounted one on their M10 Monochrom with success? Worried about clearance issues with the shutter curtain. Also sidebar but I’m assuming the light meter on MP won’t be functional due to how deep the rear element protrudes but would there be any mounting issues on that camera either? I’d love to be able to use it on both but if I can comfortably use it only on the MP that’s fine too. Or if someone wants to talk some sense into me on why I shouldn’t consider it at all, you can do that too! Advice needed.

Thank you.

12 hours ago, overexposed said:

i have one, i use it from time to time on my m10m, but the light falloff is extreme on digital sensors, on a M6 of a friend it looks fine.

no issues with the shutter whatsoever.

and it looks fantastic on a M

Do you feel the ND center filter helps with the light falloff at all or is it still extreme? I may just get it to use with the MP. The practical ultra wide would be the CV 15mm Super Wide Heliar but I really love the size and mythos of the Hologon.

I had the first generation CV 15mm and the Hologon 16 at about the same time, using them on film cameras (CL and M6TTL for the CV, Contax G2 for the Hologon). Never used either on digital capture bodies, sold both long ago ... but the Hologon 16 was by far superior performer then, although a bit of a pain in use. Compare to the III generation CV 15, hmm, probably not so much better. 

Nowadays, I have the CV HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 Aspheric. This is a better performer than either the v1 CV15 or the Hologon on film, and works amazingly well on digital capture too. The field of view on FF is enormous, and it's amazingly sharp and clear right to the corners. Here's a half-rez JPEG I just made for you: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The kitchen counter is about 10 feet from the camera, the coaster at the bottom/foreground is about 4 feet. This is essentially straight out of the M10-M, as DNG and converted to JPEG with size reduction at LR defaults. 

enjoy, G

4 hours ago, ramarren said:

I had the first generation CV 15mm and the Hologon 16 at about the same time, using them on film cameras (CL and M6TTL for the CV, Contax G2 for the Hologon). Never used either on digital capture bodies, sold both long ago ... but the Hologon 16 was by far superior performer then, although a bit of a pain in use. Compare to the III generation CV 15, hmm, probably not so much better. 

Nowadays, I have the CV HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 Aspheric. This is a better performer than either the v1 CV15 or the Hologon on film, and works amazingly well on digital capture too. The field of view on FF is enormous, and it's amazingly sharp and clear right to the corners. Here's a half-rez JPEG I just made for you: 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The kitchen counter is about 10 feet from the camera, the coaster at the bottom/foreground is about 4 feet. This is essentially straight out of the M10-M, as DNG and converted to JPEG with size reduction at LR defaults. 

enjoy, G

Wow that is W I D E. That TV looks like it could natively display XPAN images with no borders. 

3 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Wow that is W I D E. That TV looks like it could natively display XPAN images with no borders. 

LOL! Indeed it is! :) 

It's almost too wide on FF format (I bought this lens originally for use on the CL where its 10mm focal length is cropped to the eqFoV of a 15mm lens on FF). But notice how little rectilinear distortion there is and how well detailed the image is all the way to the edges. I've even used it fitted to the Hasselblad 907x (format 33x44mm) where it nets a substantial increment more FoV than the XCD 21mm f/4, even though I have to crop some of the image away due to vignetting. It's a remarkable lens for a piddly $1000 compared to many other ultrawide lens options!

What it isn't is fast, and fitting filters requires an adapter due to the built-in lens hood. But these are relatively small issues.

G

Advertisement (gone after registration)

53 minutes ago, ramarren said:

LOL! Indeed it is! :) 

It's almost too wide on FF format (I bought this lens originally for use on the CL where its 10mm focal length is cropped to the eqFoV of a 15mm lens on FF). But notice how little rectilinear distortion there is and how well detailed the image is all the way to the edges. I've even used it fitted to the Hasselblad 907x (format 33x44mm) where it nets a substantial increment more FoV than the XCD 21mm f/4, even though I have to crop some of the image away due to vignetting. It's a remarkable lens for a piddly $1000 compared to many other ultrawide lens options!

What it isn't is fast, and fitting filters requires an adapter due to the built-in lens hood. But these are relatively small issues.

G

For 10mm it’s definitely very impressive!

11 hours ago, Sunyforreal said:

Do you feel the ND center filter helps with the light falloff at all or is it still extreme? I may just get it to use with the MP. The practical ultra wide would be the CV 15mm Super Wide Heliar but I really love the size and mythos of the Hologon.

on the digital cameras i saw nearly no change when using the ND filter, didnt check in detail on the film camera

also critical focus is quite difficult since there is no range finder coupling, for live view, the ultra wide view and F8 is not good for accurate focus peaking

Edited by overexposed

2 hours ago, overexposed said:

on the digital cameras i saw nearly no change when using the ND filter, didnt check in detail on the film camera

also critical focus is quite difficult since there is no range finder coupling, for live view, the ultra wide view and F8 is not good for accurate focus peaking

I see. I figured with a 16mm at f/8 dang near everything will be in focus at all times, so any minute focus adjustments shouldn’t be too important. 

Anyway I decided to sleep on it and today realized it’s not the most practical choice right now 😂 still want one! But will hold off until sometime next year and go from there.