Leica announced SL discounts - precursor to SL3 or end of line?

stout_trapdoor9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The price adjustment was needed for the US market, otherwise why not buy from the UK/EU?

Now they need to adjust M prices for the strong dollar – at least a straight $500 reduction across every product between $2.5K and $6K (Q2 for example), and $1,000 on every product over $6.5K (M bodies for example). 

54 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

The price adjustment was needed for the US market, otherwise why not buy from the UK/EU?

Now they need to adjust M prices for the strong dollar – at least a straight $500 reduction across every product between $2.5K and $6K (Q2 for example), and $1,000 on every product over $6.5K (M bodies for example). 

the major increase in US prices was few years ago do to trump been trump and not accepting any German government criticism. The us government deliver some terrifies to German optics. That is where Made in Portugal came about.

Leica adjusted prices to all product and not just optics.

But prices go up every year anyway in most countries ...

I would not to crazy about the sale, prices keep going up before getting a sale.

13 hours ago, frame-it said:

you mean this?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's the one.  Came at an interesting time too, as I was looking at pulling the trigger on a used SL2-S.

18 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Photoworks,  The S system is designed for a small market niche; Fashion, Portrait, Landscape and maybe a couple others.  It is a truly a professional camera for those needing high resolution, accurate color, very large files for graphics, billboards, fine art prints.  The S camera saved Leica and I was told the company is certainly committed to it. The decade plus of my use in business, it delivered in spades.  The S camera and lenses do not render like the SL system.  It has a cinematic look and that IMO makes is truly unique.  My clients would not buy prints unless the photograph was created with a Leica S camera and lenses. Very selective clients that voted with their black AMEX cards.  The S camera is not a prosumer camera.  It commands a very high price for its unique sensor design and rendering with the S lenses and small niche market.  Maybe the S4 will be smaller/lighter but the sensor size will remain MF. How many MPs, I do not know.  Last, I am always amused by those who complain about the cost of a S camera and lenses, yet they never grouse at a Phase One, Hasselblad H series price tag.  The S system is weather sealed and can take a beating.  Just ask David Farkas at Red Dot Forum.  If you need to make very large prints, with excellent color and a cinematic look to your images then get the AMEX card ready for 2025 according to Leica Rumors.   r/ Mark

PS: If you wish to read about the S lenses just check out this article.  The article is spot in ever aspect.

Try:  https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/the-definitive-guide-to-leica-s-lenses/

I am also considering the option of a Hasselblad X1D II, which is down to $3.5k USD and might cover my use case.

20 hours ago, robb said:

I have to say that I have an SL2 and an SL2-s

I’m planning on buying another SL2 and possibly SL2-s

the Image quality is so good that I’m really not left wanting much more.  Just minor stuff.

But I’ve just been waiting (like everyone else because an SL3 could actually replace the need for two more additional cameras and combine both high iso (from the SL2-s) and high mp (from the SL2) into one body if it is similar to the m11 sensor.  Then I’d just add all SL3 lol

but once I see the specs and any other improvements, I may still opt to just stay with the SL2 lineup adding more of them (at lower prices)… because they really are that good already.  It’s just that afc issue for me primarily…

Robb

This is exactly my position.  I'm happy with everything on the SL2-S except the MP. I don't need 60MP, but for my needs I would like somewhere between 36MP-47MP. I've made some decent 17x22 prints from my Ricoh GR III, but I want to go a fair size larger with some of my cityscapes and have a bit more room to crop although I don't do that much. I've got an M11 but I shoot frequently in snow and rain or near the ocean (dust/sand) so I'd prefer to use a weather proofed option like the SL series. I also like low-light/dusk shooting, so better the SL2-S than the SL2 because of the better high ISO performance. I have no requirement for video, but other than a few MP the SL2-S ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, stout_trapdoor9 said:

This is exactly my position.  I'm happy with everything on the SL2-S except the MP. I don't need 60MP, but for my needs I would like somewhere between 36MP-47MP. I've made some decent 17x22 prints from my Ricoh GR III, but I want to go a fair size larger with some of my cityscapes and have a bit more room to crop although I don't do that much. I've got an M11 but I shoot frequently in snow and rain or near the ocean (dust/sand) so I'd prefer to use a weather proofed option like the SL series. I also like low-light/dusk shooting, so better the SL2-S than the SL2 because of the better high ISO performance. I have no requirement for video, but other than a few MP the SL2-S ticks all the boxes.

I replaced my A7RIV with an SL2S and had the same struggle. I decided I needed the low light more than the MP, since I only print big <5 times a year. I’ve been very happy with the flexibility of the files so far and the smaller files are faster to edit.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Photoworks said:

the major increase in US prices was few years ago do to trump been trump and not accepting any German government criticism. The us government deliver some terrifies to German optics. That is where Made in Portugal came about.

Leica adjusted prices to all product and not just optics.

But prices go up every year anyway in most countries ...

I would not to crazy about the sale, prices keep going up before getting a sale.

All I'm saying is the current M prices are detrimental to the M sales of US dealers. US customers can order from the UK/EU and save enough to make it worth the hassle of ordering internationally. Leica just fixed this for the SL. They need to fix it for M.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:07 PM, robb said:

the Image quality is so good that I’m really not left wanting much more.  Just minor stuff.

But I’ve just been waiting (like everyone else because an SL3 could actually replace the need for two more additional cameras and combine both high iso (from the SL2-s) and high mp (from the SL2) into one body if it is similar to the m11 sensor.  Then I’d just add all SL3 lol

but once I see the specs and any other improvements, I may still opt to just stay with the SL2 lineup adding more of them (at lower prices)… because they really are that good already.  It’s just that afc issue for me primarily…

Robb

I’m sure you would stay with it. The grain of a 60mp 35mm at higher iso isn’t that pretty. IMHO after 45mp you are better off to jump to medium format. Plus you can always use multi shot.

• Like 1

In addition to the “Leica SL-System Customer Appreciation Program“, today Leica Camera USA announced their official Black Friday offer:

“From November 21st through 29th 2022, Leica Camera will offer a complimentary M-Adapter-L #18771 ($450 value) with the purchase of a Leica SL2/SL-S body or bundle through an authorized store, to enable photographers to use iconic M lenses on the versatile SL2 cameras.”

Read more: https://leicarumors.com/#ixzz7lLPQu4AZ

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jim B said:

I’m sure you would stay with it. The grain of a 60mp 35mm at higher iso isn’t that pretty. IMHO after 45mp you are better off to jump to medium format. Plus you can always use multi shot.

Do you have any examples? I was thinking of picking up a Q. Thought I'd wait for the Q3, but if the higher noise of the presumed 60MP sensor isn't that pretty I might just pick up that new ghost edition.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:24 PM, hansvons said:

Agreed. I’d like to see a Leica style engineered articulated screen and internal raw video recording. If that doesn't materialise with the SL3-S I happily wait until the SL4-S. 

--

Because the SL cameras can take M lenses without compromising quality, I find it hard to justify buying an M if I were looking for the look/IQ, which varies highly depending on age group. It’s purely the user experience; that alone can be a great reason. But when money is an objective and profits have to be made off the camera system, the SL makes more sense as it is lens-agnostic.

I originally bought a SL because the electronic visoflex experience on my M10 was disappointing. Yes, M glass on the SL is beautiful, especially the 75 Summicron. But I took my SL to shoot a friend’s son’s wedding a few months ago. I just couldn’t keep up manually focusing in a dark church or at the reception. So I put an a autofocus zoom lens on the acquisition list. 
Then my wife notified me we’re going back to Africa next year. I thought of the last trip when I shot everything on my M10 with a 135 TeleElmar. Whew, was that a workout after getting within 10 meters of lions and elephants and then trying to get sharp, in focus images. My hit rate was 50-60% but I swore that the next time I would have longer autofocus lenses and Image Stabilization.So now a SL2(S) and a long autofocus zoom lens  is on the acquisition list. 
While I will never abandon my M camera system, it is a good thing Leica is running this special discount. But, in case there’s a SL3 on the horizon, I’ll probably go with the SL2S and save a few dollars in the account for future updates.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:23 AM, Ba Erv said:

Yeah, Euro/Dollar conversion rate...what a gullible bunch.

Called known usa photo store...as a repeated customer, asked them for a match price on Leica lens + Leica battery...match vs.EU...told them exactly what it would cost me to buy from EU...ie. with the ex.~1.2+2.5% added by visa, with shipping...the taxes and duties @ border are always calculated the same way

My call went up higher...when they came back, they offered me exactly 2.76338% discount on the lens only.

I don't think you can blame NA Leica product pricing for consumers on a different Leica cost scheme for EU.

Pure greed has more to do here then the cost scheme and it is based on a fact that NA customer has more $$$.

I saved $665 buying from EU. Not to mention less taxes+duties that I will have to pay.

6 hours ago, Genoweffa said:

Called known usa photo store...as a repeated customer, asked them for a match price on Leica lens + Leica battery...match vs.EU...told them exactly what it would cost me to buy from EU...ie. with the ex.~1.2+2.5% added by visa, with shipping...the taxes and duties @ border are always calculated the same way

My call went up higher...when they came back, they offered me exactly 2.76338% discount on the lens only.

I don't think you can blame NA Leica product pricing for consumers on a different Leica cost scheme for EU.

Pure greed has more to do here then the cost scheme and it is based on a fact that NA customer has more $$$.

I saved $665 buying from EU. Not to mention less taxes+duties that I will have to pay.

It's not really difficult to figure out. All you have to do is look at the price of batteries in US vs EU.

Leica USA continues to burn their customers.  The tariffs imposed on German optical imports is a prime example. Those tariffs were lifted in March 2021 but Leica never reduced the prices accordingly. Personally, I'll never buy another Leica product in the US again. Nor, will I ever use their support center in NJ. 

The only reason they've discounted the SL line is because the product doesn't sell well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ba Erv said:

It's not really difficult to figure out. All you have to do is look at the price of batteries in US vs EU.

Leica USA continues to burn their customers.  The tariffs imposed on German optical imports is a prime example. Those tariffs were lifted in March 2021 but Leica never reduced the prices accordingly. Personally, I'll never buy another Leica product in the US again. Nor, will I ever use their support center in NJ. 

The only reason they've discounted the SL line is because the product doesn't sell well. 

Batteries are a great example - when I bought my SL2S from the UK I was amazed how much cheaper the batteries were.

On 11/14/2022 at 9:07 PM, robb said:

Robb

Robb, what is the decision making process that makes you pick up the SL2 vs the SL2-S when you are making images? I ask because the discount now is good enough that I am considering purchasing an SL2 or an SL2-S. My sticking point has been that I like to do citycscapes and urban photography, particularly at night - it is a straight choice between more pixels and better lower light performance. I am not concerned with video although I do "play" with it from time to time. Both give great weather sealing which is why I want one because I like shooting in crap weather.

Sean

9 minutes ago, stout_trapdoor9 said:

Robb, what is the decision making process that makes you pick up the SL2 vs the SL2-S when you are making images? I ask because the discount now is good enough that I am considering purchasing an SL2 or an SL2-S. My sticking point has been that I like to do citycscapes and urban photography, particularly at night - it is a straight choice between more pixels and better lower light performance. I am not concerned with video although I do "play" with it from time to time. Both give great weather sealing which is why I want one because I like shooting in crap weather.

Sean

If you down-sample the SL2 to 24 MP, does that not equalize the noise performance between cameras? Just curious, because if that is the case, I would go with the SL2 as the more versatile platform. When not operating at high ISO, you have more latitude in cropping and possibilities for larger prints, or printing at higher resolution when dealing with images containing a lot of high frequency detail (thinking landscapes here).