Can't wait for my 2022 BP MP to arrive...

cj3209

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I picked up a mint 3/2022 BP MP.  Should arrive by the end of the week.  Couldn't wait next year (or later) for a new M6 so I 'settled' for am MP to complement my M-A.  One for Portra 400 and the other for HP5.  Fun times...

Although I'm a little concerned with (1) film scratching issues and (2) meter activation issues.   LOL...

🤣

2 hours ago, cj3209 said:

I picked up a mint 3/2022 BP MP.  Should arrive by the end of the week.  Couldn't wait next year (or later) for a new M6 so I 'settled' for am MP to complement my M-A.  One for Portra 400 and the other for HP5.  Fun times...

Although I'm a little concerned with (1) film scratching issues and (2) meter activation issues.   LOL...

🤣

I got one about a month ago, its awesome, just a beautiful object to hold and look at and as a tool works flawlessly. No issues so far, and as you already own the MA you know how to properly load film haha (I didn't!) 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just got it.  Here are some pics comparing to my M7.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by cj3209
  • Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cj3209 said:

Just got it.  Here are some pics comparing to my M7.

Looks good! I see that your M7 is an early production type, the same as mine. Does it have an upgraded viewfinder, and if not, how might that compare to the MP? 

Mine flares quite a bit, but different Leica people keep telling me upgrading might not be worth the cost; it should be better but a letdown in terms of money and time spent, I am told. 

You are rather well placed to compare the two. Any insights on this? 

Edited by jukka

12 hours ago, Huss said:

Congrats!

I don't understand covering up the serial #s.  What does that do? 

This is common when selling used watches online.  Hiding the serial # prevents those that produce fakes from gaining access to valid serial #s.

I've never heard of a fake Leica - or any other camera for that matter - but I guess it doesn't hurt.  

14 hours ago, jukka said:

Looks good! I see that your M7 is an early production type, the same as mine. Does it have an upgraded viewfinder, and if not, how might that compare to the MP? 

Mine flares quite a bit, but different Leica people keep telling me upgrading might not be worth the cost; it should be better but a letdown in terms of money and time spent, I am told. 

You are rather well placed to compare the two. Any insights on this? 

Honestly, I haven't noticed any flaring on the M7.  Of course, now that I've said that, the flare will now be noticeable...lol.

Keep you posted though as I'm curious now.

3 hours ago, cj3209 said:

Honestly, I haven't noticed any flaring on the M7.  Of course, now that I've said that, the flare will now be noticeable...lol.

I have a M6TTL with original finder and M7 upgraded and I see very little difference and never any flare. I accept that everyone's eyesight is different but the flare issue is hugely overblown on this forum.

4 hours ago, cj3209 said:

Cheers, please do.

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

I have a M6TTL with original finder and M7 upgraded and I see very little difference and never any flare. I accept that everyone's eyesight is different but the flare issue is hugely overblown on this forum.

Yeah, I hear you guys, but the rangefinder patch on my M7 does white out always when there is a light source, such as a window, on the left hand side of the camera. You can solve it by moving your head just a bit, so it's not a big deal, but something that does annoy me. My eyesight is nearly perfect, and the white out is not dependent on that; you'll notice, it's that apparent. I wonder if there is individual differences in cameras, given that apparently some don't flare. 

Like I said, I've discussed this with a number of Leica people. In Leica store Vienna, for instance, they told me that, yes, it's annoying, but you might be disappointed after spending around 800€ and several months for the upgrade. What is more, my M7 was in Wetzlar a few years back just before I started using it. It got new electronics, optical dx reader, and an overall CLA. Didn't know better at the time to request the new viewfinder. I'm expecting it to last the next 20+ years before needing another visit to Wetzlar.

Ah, well, these are the middle class life struggles.

Ps. I should add that I haven't had myself an opportunity yet to compare the old with the new finder – hence the question.

Edited by jukka
  • Like 1

RF flare/white out is a real thing that I have experienced, and is why Leica fixed it with the MP and introduced the fix on later model M7s.

If it wasn’t, they wouldn't have done that.  Simple.

But, while it is a real thing it can be filed under ‘annoying’ as moving your eye or camera slightly takes care of it.

10 hours ago, jukka said:

Cheers, please do.

Like I said, I've discussed this with a number of Leica people. In Leica store Vienna, for instance, they told me that, yes, it's annoying, but you might be disappointed after spending around 800€ and several months for the upgrade. What is more, my M7 was in Wetzlar a few years back just before I started using it. It got new electronics, optical dx reader, and an overall CLA. Didn't know better at the time to request the new viewfinder. I'm expecting it to last the next 20+ years before needing another visit to Wetzlar.

Curious if you need to send it back to Germany for a CLA or even an upgrade.  I have no desire to not have a camera for months.