M11 shutter sometimes just doesn't work

hteasley

I'm having the same issue, and don't think it's a low battery or display issue for me - it happens very randomly with full battery and I've held the camera out in front of me while trying to figure it out. That said, I will pay more attention to the specific conditions when it happens to see if I can find a rhyme or reason.

I've searched elsewhere on the web and found another thread where the dominating idea was the brand of memory being used - that only SanDisk cards of a special variety are suitable, as that's what Leica tests on. I don't know about that, and I don't think it's an acceptable solution either way. That said, it could very well be an issue relating to card storage that causes the bug to occur. Someone on the same thread also suggested using the internal storage alone to see if it still happens. Seemed like an easy enough test, so I'm going to give that a go for a few days and see if it makes a difference. In the meantime, I wrote Leica to hear what they have to offer. I am also having a bug that randomly occurs when I zoom in on LV for focus, and when I go back to full view, my highlight alerts no longer appear. I think that one is related to the metering system and will see if switching modes makes any difference. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, FireLight said:

I'm having the same issue, and don't think it's a low battery or display issue for me - it happens very randomly with full battery and I've held the camera out in front of me while trying to figure it out. That said, I will pay more attention to the specific conditions when it happens to see if I can find a rhyme or reason.

I've searched elsewhere on the web and found another thread where the dominating idea was the brand of memory being used - that only SanDisk cards of a special variety are suitable, as that's what Leica tests on. I don't know about that, and I don't think it's an acceptable solution either way. That said, it could very well be an issue relating to card storage that causes the bug to occur. Someone on the same thread also suggested using the internal storage alone to see if it still happens. Seemed like an easy enough test, so I'm going to give that a go for a few days and see if it makes a difference. In the meantime, I wrote Leica to hear what they have to offer. I am also having a bug that randomly occurs when I zoom in on LV for focus, and when I go back to full view, my highlight alerts no longer appear. I think that one is related to the metering system and will see if switching modes makes any difference. 

I think Sandisk cards are the last cards I'd want anywhere near a Leica! Way too many fakes.

• Like 1

This is just a variant of the freeze issue. I had times where pressing the shutter suddenly doesn't work anymore while not using the LV or touching the screen (and using a UHS-I Sandisk SD). Sometimes the screen is not frozen, I can still view past pictures, etc but just cannot press the shutter. Had to pop the battery to make it work again.

2 hours ago, CDodkin said:

I think Sandisk cards are the last cards I'd want anywhere near a Leica! Way too many fakes.

I do not have an M11 but have had excellent results with Sandisk cards with my M-P 240, Q2 and M10 Monochrom.  I only buy my SD cards from B&H though.  I have never had a problem with Sandisk cards from B&H.

Long ago, I started out with Lexar SD cards - the black & copper colored older ones - and was plagued with corrupted files.  Lexar SD cards just didn't like my M-P 240, or maybe they didn't like Lightroom.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

I too have a dozen Sandisk cards of 64 and 128MB, and have never had a single issue with any camera brand.  If you purchase your equipment & accessories from known reputable sources you should be fine. 

Translation:  Do not buy SD cards from Amazon/ebay/Dollar Store/Craig's List/Bob's List/Karen's List/Sumo & Yang of Shanghai , etc! 

I recall one incident where B&H was out of the SanDisk cards I needed to get before a photo trip.  I got on SanDisk's website and bought them there.  The price was the same as B&H but it took 3-4 days longer for them to arrive, but I did get them in time.  Problem solved.

Edited by Herr Barnack

24 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Translation:  Do not buy SD cards from Amazon/ebay/Dollar Store/Craig's List/Bob's List/Karen's List/Sumo & Yang of Shanghai , etc! 

I recall one incident where B&H was out of the SanDisk cards I needed to get before a photo trip.  I got on SanDisk's website and bought them there.  The price was the same as B&H but it took 3-4 days longer for them to arrive, but I did get them in time.  Problem solved.

if you put them in your computer you actually can see if they are fake.

I have returned cards from Lexar and sandisk that came from amazon..

In any case the Tough are problematic on many cameras

1 hour ago, Photoworks said:

if you put them in your computer you actually can see if they are fake.

I have returned cards from Lexar and sandisk that came from amazon..

In any case the Tough are problematic on many cameras

How can you tell?  Here's the info on one I just received yesterday, 128GB Sandisk.  Check out the dates.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/13/2022 at 7:59 PM, Malvolio said:

Is live view on or preview on the screen when you try and take a picture? Ive found that if my nose touches the screen and I try to take a photo it may not work

I think that may be it, some of the time. My nose does touch the screen relatively often.

I'm ashamed to say, there have been a couple of times where it went to electronic shutter after several shots with mechanical shutter, and I thought it wasn't taking pictures. Found some on my card the other day, when I thought I had only taken a couple of shots, but there were several there.

Never had an electronic shutter on an M before, it has caught me off guard.

Am 17.11.2022 um 21:06 schrieb FireLight:

Same issue when I tested the M11 twice. Would really like to know about your experience when using only the internal memory.