M10 to M10-R Upgrade Questions

MikeMyers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It definitely would on my ex M240.

Exactly! WhenI had the 240 and M9 (which on paper have a huge difference in DR) I found the 240 DR was more in the shadows, pushing them hard just made banding (or green) in the shadows while the M9 gave me (and continues to give me, I still have it) some shadow recovery and some highlight recovery and this made the files nicer to use in post… OMMV

DR v EL in full effect!

12 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

@M10R users

That 10R perspective correction thingamy that the regular 10 doesn’t have, is it worth using or just gimmicky?

If you turn it on it only corrects jpegs, but in raw DNG it is ALWAYS ON, you just have to go into camera raw > Geometry and click on GUIDED (see photo).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

I also tried the perspective correction. Well it doesn't work badly. But when I'm taking pictures, the Visoflex makes me very uneasy. Any camera movement will, correctly, also cause the frame to move.
When I walk with the camera on Street, the frame movement in the Visoflex is too restless, making it difficult for me to concentrate on the moment.
I disabled the feature.

• Thanks 1

When I posted this thread, I was remembering an email I received a long time ago, that I thought would allow me to upgrade my M10 into either an M10-P or an M10-R, sending my camera to Leica (somewhere) where the would replace the sensor and the other components.  I recently couldn't find the email, which is why I was asking here, but maybe I'm wrong about what would be done to my M10.  I was concerned with how long it would take, and also with the cost, and every time I've thought about it before, I decided not to do an upgrade (which at the time, I thought was available if I could afford it).

From my current thoughts, none of this is applicable.  From what I read so far, maybe my impression was wrong, but even if I had it right, I would be more likely to find a way to purchase a new camera than do the upgrade.  I like the improved shutter sound, but not enough to spend a lot of $$.  Ditto for the new sensor.  I realize others may prefer the extra megapixels, but for me, 24 megapixels is plenty.

So, no more need to reply to my original question.  

• Thanks 1

@Al Brown @Jeff S @M Street Photographer

Thanks guys, I guess I’ll try it and see… except that the need to use it with live view means I won’t be using it much come what may!

@MikeMyers

The M10 upgrade thing was to turn an M10 into an M10P, never an M10R.

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Adam Bonn:

The M10 upgrade thing was to turn an M10 into an M10P, never an M10R.

I only tested it because I had to have the Visoflex on it to focus an adapted lens.
When I focus with the rangefinder it doesn't matter, it wouldn't bother me then because I don't see it.
But it remains either way, disabled.

There would be another reason for the life view if I want to select spot or multi exposure metering, that's only possible with the M10 R if the life view is activated.

The M10-R is a completely different camera than the M10-P as far as the sensor is concerned. She is classes better than the M10. And with about 40 MP, the M10-R hits the sweet spot of the digital Ms. You don't have to put up with the 60 MP of the M11. and forget the bad M10 (or the M10-P). 

3 hours ago, duoenboge said:

She is classes better than the M10. And with about 40 MP, the M10-R hits the sweet spot of the digital Ms. You don't have to put up with the 60 MP of the M11. and forget the bad M10 (or the M10-P

I can't agree, from my point of view.  The sweet spot might be 40 today, but a couple of years ago it might have been 15, and two years from now it might be 150.  Technology is jumping ahead so fast, and there's no reason to think it won't continue on, forever.

Regarding "the bad M10 and M10-P", I don't understand why you think they are "bad".  They work just as well now, as they did when they were introduced, when so many people loved them.  

What do you mean by being "classes" better?  They are older or newer, but I haven't seen any need to change from my M10 to one of the newer models, and I suspect I am happier with my M10 right now than I would be with an M11.

My thoughts are that the camera doesn't matter.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

It's the photographer who creates a better or worse photo, not the camera.

• Like 1

It is a very old adage that the photographer takes the pictures and not the camera.
However, the marketing has managed that many believe that the new camera is so motivating that the photos are better, a mistake.
Certain companies know how to create hype and many succumb to it.
How would everyone be photographically much further if we put our money more into our development than into hardware. Very few are able to do both.
Art comes from skill, not hardware.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:41 AM, M Street Photographer said:

It is a very old adage that the photographer takes the pictures and not the camera.
However, the marketing has managed that many believe that the new camera is so motivating that the photos are better, a mistake.
Certain companies know how to create hype and many succumb to it.
How would everyone be photographically much further if we put our money more into our development than into hardware. Very few are able to do both.
Art comes from skill, not hardware.

Here we are in a Leica forum. Look at your profile picture. Very few spend as much as we do on cameras and lenses. Most people think we are crazy for doing it.

Everything you said in this post anyone could say about you and your Leica gear. 

Edited by Demigorgan

On 11/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, MikeMyers said:

My thoughts are that the camera doesn't matter

I agree with everything except this. I half agree and half disagree. 

I agree that if I want to take a good photo, you can really do that with any camera. Bresson’s more famous photo outside the train station in Paris is a mess. Nothing is in focus. It’s blurry. But everything is just perfectly placed. It’s an iconic picture. In that sense you could take a great photo with a Go-Pro. 

on the other hand, even he was very particular about his gear. Every single photographer I admire is very particular about the cameras and lenses they use. Just like great painters are particular about the brushes and paints and canvases they use. 

• Like 1