The benefits of RAW

84bravo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought this might be an interesting example of the benefits of shooting RAW with the M8. I shot this on the fly through my windshield while driving with the camera set on Auto which resulted in an exposure of 1/250 @ f11 and ISO of 160. I shot another frame three stops darker to expose for the clouds, but the car went way under.

In Adobe Raw I pulled the exposure down and opened the shadows while bringing down the highlights. Then I opened the file in Photoshop with a BW mask and moved the blue sliders to bring up the contrast in the clouds, just as if I had used a blue filter with BW film.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

looks good indeed - thanks for sharing!

I am usually shooting DNG+JPG since native DNG preview on MacOS wasn't that good and the preview looked awful. But that results much more work in file management ... 😞 

How are you doing that? Do you shoot only DNG or both formats in parallel?

Cheers,

Tim

2 hours ago, tim said:

How are you doing that? Do you shoot only DNG or both formats in parallel?

I shoot DNG only. I find that shooting both slows down the camera. Generally speaking, I use the M8 for BW work only. I use M10-R for daily color work, but again everything is done in raw DNG.

For the M8 I find nothing special about the BW jpegs, so I don't bother with it. For BW I'm generally only working a couple of photos edited down from my take. For color with the M10 I'll usually edit a much larger take (it is for work, after all) and tone them in similar batches with Adobe Bridge and PS.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb 84bravo:

I shoot DNG only. I find that shooting both slows down the camera. Generally speaking, I use the M8 for BW work only. I use M10-R for daily color work, but again everything is done in raw DNG.

For the M8 I find nothing special about the BW jpegs, so I don't bother with it. For BW I'm generally only working a couple of photos edited down from my take. For color with the M10 I'll usually edit a much larger take (it is for work, after all) and tone them in similar batches with Adobe Bridge and PS.

got it, makes sense - thanks for your quick reply 

• Like 1