Which ND filters do you all like?

Variable nd filters will degrade image quality, they are two polarizers stacked. In general one filter rarely effects an image, two filters almost always.

I prefer to use 3-4 stop nd and 10x nd, the 10x will give color casts so choose one that is more neutral.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t have a Q, but I do use filters. 

For screw in filters I use B+W in various strengths. 

I also use Lee Seven5 and 100mm filters, again various strengths and graduations. 

Edited by OThomas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have never taken such kind of pictures. I assume, that therefore 3 f-stops is the minimum. Comparable with creamy water pictures.

I mentioned these 3 categories. The first one handheld is possible with a filter 3fstops (Lux f/4.0); the second one with exposures in second/minutes a dark filter and a tripod are necessary; and for the third one "the sun" a tripod with a very dark filter.

Edited by jankap

A few caveats for ND filter brands and use:

1- Breakthrough Filters have serrated filter rings which enable a better grip, the ring is therefore thicker and Leica lens hoods need to be retracted. They will not slide past the filter on many lenses.  

2- Light leakage is an issue with filter systems that use square or rectangular filters in a holder.  

Both issues can be overcome, it may be easy or difficult depending on circumstances.   

On 11/10/2022 at 6:25 AM, Ouroboros said:

Formatt Hitech Firecrest, 3, 6, 10 & 16 stops.

I am a fan of Formatt Hitech and use their Firecrest NDs, polarising filter and keep a UV filter on the lens most of the time. The company also offers excellent customer service. I had a 100mm infrared filter from my Nikon film days and wanted to buy a 85mm version for use with the Q2 but they don’t make it anymore because the chemicals used in manufacturing are no longer allowed for use in the UK. Instead they offered to cut the filter down to size at no cost. Brilliant service with a turnaround of only a few days. 

At the other end of the scale, I use Urth ND filters on my M lenses. Much cheaper and no complaints on picture quality. 

10 hours ago, darylgo said:

A few caveats for ND filter brands and use:

1- Breakthrough Filters have serrated filter rings which enable a better grip, the ring is therefore thicker and Leica lens hoods need to be retracted. They will not slide past the filter on many lenses.  

2- Light leakage is an issue with filter systems that use square or rectangular filters in a holder.  

Both issues can be overcome, it may be easy or difficult depending on circumstances.   

Good to know….the first thing I did was get rid of that factory hood and cap. I went with a vented hood and clip on cap. 

Farrell Gallery,   +1 on Breakthrough Photography filters.  I tried a number of different brands over the decades until I discovered Breakthrough filters.  The filters are the most color neutral of all brands, great customer service and very well made product that works the best for me.  The Breakthrough color neutrality is key for my photography and work flow.  I use the 3 and 6 Stops the most with a 10 Stop coming in 3rd place.  Just sharing my experience.   r/ Mark

• Like 1

I have never heard of Breakthrough until this thread, so thank you. Their website certainly makes for a compelling story.

I rarely use an ND filter, but I do have a couple of Hoya Pro ND filters for the few times a year when needed. Perhaps soon to be replaced by the Breakthrough equivalents.

Edited by Marc B-C

58 minutes ago, Marc B-C said:

Breakthrough until this thread, so thank you. Their website certainly makes for a compelling story.

Can endorse Breakthrough. Also, if you need a camera/tripod plate the Breakthrough ones are Arca quality at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Farrell Gallery,   +1 on Breakthrough Photography filters.  I tried a number of different brands over the decades until I discovered Breakthrough filters.  The filters are the most color neutral of all brands, great customer service and very well made product that works the best for me.  The Breakthrough color neutrality is key for my photography and work flow.  I use the 3 and 6 Stops the most with a 10 Stop coming in 3rd place.  Just sharing my experience.   r/ Mark

Thanks! By chance do they come in protective cases? 

Farrell Gallery,  Yes they do.  I also use a B&W filter pouch to cary mine, but in bad weather or rough terrain, I take the cases.  r/ Mark

PS. They also come with a 25 year warranty and you register them on the Breakthrough Photography website with the filter serical number.

Try:  https://breakthrough.photography

Edited by LeicaR10
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Farrell Gallery said:

Thanks! By chance do they come in protective cases? 

. . . and a nice cleaning cloth as well 🙂

I also have some of their original magnetic filters.  Great if you use the SL system but too large for the M.  I don't think there are available now.  They were due to be upgraded and Breakthrough promised a full replacement of all version 1 filters when version 2 was released but it's a long time in coming.

• Like 1