barjohn

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the relevant phrase was...

"I'd really like it if they'd get rid of the idiot bar-code on the lens mount and just use a list menu..."

Nope, not me. I want the bar coding if I buy Leica glass- the bar codes plus the physical mount tell the camera exactly which lens is mounted without having to fiddle with a menu choice every time I change lenses. BUT if I don't have leica glass, I want the ability to choose it off a menu.

Here is another link to images with ISO up to 25,600! It appears to me that 12,250 is about the top limit of usability. I looked at what Kodak is offering for sensors and they max out at 5MP for CMOS and can't match sensitivity for CCD so if Leica is married to Kodak sensors it may be a long time before Leica offers anything comparable. If the Nikon sensor is really made by Sony, as some claim, then perhaps Leica should be talking to them. If it is a Sony sensor and Nikon has an exclusive, it may only be an exclusive for a DSLR leaving it open for an RF. Nikon D3 Test

Another point is electronic focus assist would be nice as my eyes struggle to focus at times, especially in low light.

With my D200 I can edit the list. It would be nice if the list pops up whenever the lens is not recognized when mounting. It would be one click then. Less work than putting on the separate viewfinder etc. which we have no trouble with.

A DSLR with a (pro) zoom will always work faster in this respect.

Here is another link to images with ISO up to 25,600! It appears to me that 12,250 is about the top limit of usability. I looked at what Kodak is offering for sensors and they max out at 5MP for CMOS and can't match sensitivity for CCD so if Leica is married to Kodak sensors it may be a long time before Leica offers anything comparable. If the Nikon sensor is really made by Sony, as some claim, then perhaps Leica should be talking to them. If it is a Sony sensor and Nikon has an exclusive, it may only be an exclusive for a DSLR leaving it open for an RF. Nikon D3 Test

Another point is electronic focus assist would be nice as my eyes struggle to focus at times, especially in low light.

You know, I have to tell you, that is a great idea for the M8 to have a focus assist. I noted on my old Minolta Maxxum 700 (first widespread film autofocus SLR I bought in 1986) that if I focused on manual, the display would show me its "green dot" for proper focus. Why can't Leica do the same thing? Not autofocus- too many LeicaNuts would scream bloody murder, and the Contax G series is not here today (for several reasons, great lenses however). A similar "focus indicator" would tell my 40+ year old presbyopic eyes when I had exact focus, and would COMPLETELY SOLVE the back/forward/aperture-related focus errors seen in various lenses! It could be an external passive/active system similar to the Contax G1/G2, or perhaps some internal method (I think most DSLR autofocus require a sub-mirror to focus incoming light on the focus sensor, obviously not available on a rangefinder with rear elements close to the image chip). That would allow all Leica lenses to still be compatible with the mount, yet give some of us the edge in focusing in critical situations. An internal system is best, however even an external one would assist in telephoto lenses. The M5 had a moving arm meter (that admittedly limited some lens use); perhaps some similar moving prism/focusing device that got out of the way prior to the exposure being set. Just a thought.

Nope, not me. I want the bar coding if I buy Leica glass- the bar codes plus the physical mount tell the camera exactly which lens is mounted without having to fiddle with a menu choice every time I change lenses. BUT if I don't have leica glass, I want the ability to choose it off a menu.

Leica will never provide for competitor's glass. But f you want to select to the nearest Leica lens, such an option is fine with me.

Leica will never provide for competitor's glass. But f you want to select to the nearest Leica lens, such an option is fine with me.

Agree completely: Leica coding is useful and they act rightly maintaining the system a proprietary one... if they would like to add a simple manual setting llike "15 to 21" "21 to 35" or so... appreciable.