SL2 AND SL2-S. Too much?

James1975

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Currently have an M11 (for fun and size and everyday) and an SL2-S (which I absolutely love). I have an opportunity to buy a new SL2 with the Summilux 50/1.4 at a very good price (10.900€ total). I would use this for portraits and landscape and is the S for low light situations and street. My question is am I being stupidly self-indulgent? Obviously I don’t need both but, objectively, can you guys see a reasonable use for two separate bodies like this?

perhaps I am trying to validate my potential purchase. The 50/1.4 is my dream lens. 

18 minutes ago, darylgo said:

There’s no such thing as too much Leica.  The SL3 is imminent and would keep me from any SL2 indulgences. If the SL is any  indication the SL2 body price will drop steeply soon after the SL3.  

Imminent? I would be amazed if it arrives before summer 2023. The Q3 is more likely. Do you have a source? Apart from a 60MP sensor I don’t see many improvements possible tbh…

yep. The thing is buying it as a kit with the body saves around 2K on list price and that seems a good deal. Buying it alone is of course an option. My question is more if the saving of buying both will be a useful, valid addition to my current set up. Agreed that the 2S is phenomenal. I just wonder if the SL2 alongside it would serve a purpose.

I would just buy the lens. A third body for just two scenarios (which either other body can already do very well) comes across as pure GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) to me. But then I only have a Q2 for everything (plus an iPhone 14 Pro Max for snaps) so perhaps I no longer understand the desire GAS creates.

I have both.  They're really different cameras despite their outer appearances.  I use the SL2 for landscape and the SL2-S for Starscape / Milky Way photography.  So for me, they do serve different purposes.  I have been contemplating selling the SL2-S to help finance an M11 but I know I'd miss it for those night shots.

• Like 1