Low Light Situations

I don't find mine is lacklustre as I have done quite a few night images with it. As David says above it has more to do with the lighting conditions, not the camera.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

It’s quite an old camera/chip and compared to contemporary cameras, it’s OK in low light but not brilliant.

Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong.

This is why I was trying to give it a chance because I know it is an older camera.  I am going to have to try some different lighting and see how it performs. Thank you for the input..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wda said:

Lack lustre has more to do with lighting than camera technicalities. My experience with the not-so-old D Lux 109 is far from lack lustre.

I completely understand.  I was trying to do some indoor shots, not the greatest lighting available, and I was disappointed even at the higher ISO levels.  Again, I still have to keep in mind what I'm working with for ambient light.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, DaveMo said:

I don't find mine is lacklustre as I have done quite a few night images with it. As David says above it has more to do with the lighting conditions, not the camera.

Excellent pic!!  Thank you for sharing.  My experience was indoors with less than desirable ambient lighting.  So this is why I created this thread.  Honestly, this pic has inspired me to take the camera out in the evening. :)   Thank you. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AliensExist said:

I completely understand.  I was trying to do some indoor shots, not the greatest lighting available, and I was disappointed even at the higher ISO levels.  Again, I still have to keep in mind what I'm working with for ambient light.

Could it be white balance related? Do you use a calibrated grey card?

6 hours ago, wda said:

Could it be white balance related? Do you use a calibrated grey card?

I had it set to auto at the time, but I’m going to have to check the calibration as you’ve stated. I’m enjoying the camera, so just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong. 😁

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First rule of photography - light is required.  They get a bit noisy by ISO 1600, but so did every film above 400.  800 would be grainy and 1600 moreso.  Digital doesn't do any better without light.  I think mine does great in low-light. It also depends on what you consider low light.  To some it's dusk. To others, it's full nighttime with street lights.  Embrace the grain. 

• Like 1