DXO. Photo lab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a big DxO user (PhotoLab 5 & 6 + FilmPack 6), some high level PL5 and PL6 comments:

1. very good for supported cameras and lenses (all the popular brands and lens combos) - it has an excellent distortion correction function;

2. have an excellent noise reduction algorithm DeepPrime  (it's basically magic); and

3. rubbish Leica support.

to use PL5 and PL6 i need to convert the m246 DNG to TIFF in Luminar AI (also full of its own pros and cons).

FP6 is really good for emulating film stock and gives plenty of granular adjustments

• Like 1

Deep prime is great (only works for Raw/Dng though). I have LR that I use for processing a lot of files from a shoot at one time. Adobe has really come a long ways in the last 5 years and I have added a lot of new "cutting edge" tools, neural filters etc. I also have a copy of C1 but I just don't see what the advantage of them are anymore, especially since their subscription model has been introduced and their upgrade price is pretty high. DXO is what I use personally, or if I don't need the catalog function from LR. I really like how DXO handles perspecitve (from viewpoint module) and color/contrast. Lots of things within Dxo to experiment with and it gives me a good starting point using the generic profile for my camera. 

I bought Pure Raw on the DxO Black Friday offer (tried it, liked it) and PhotoLab 5 was thrown in with the Pure Raw offer.  Tried PL5 and found it OK but too limited in comparison to ACR & PsCC, which is, and always has been, my preferred editing workflow.   I don't (won't) use Lr in any version, so can't make any comparison between PL5/6 & Lr.

DxO were obviously trying hook Black Friday PR buyers in the hope that they'd like the freebie PL5 enough to pay for the PL6 upgrade.  Not for me, but I do think Pure Raw is useful.

Edited by Ouroboros

vor 17 Stunden schrieb cheezytomatos:

Deep prime is great (only works for Raw/Dng though). I have LR that I use for processing a lot of files from a shoot at one time. Adobe has really come a long ways in the last 5 years and I have added a lot of new "cutting edge" tools, neural filters etc. I also have a copy of C1 but I just don't see what the advantage of them are anymore, especially since their subscription model has been introduced and their upgrade price is pretty high. DXO is what I use personally, or if I don't need the catalog function from LR. I really like how DXO handles perspecitve (from viewpoint module) and color/contrast. Lots of things within Dxo to experiment with and it gives me a good starting point using the generic profile for my camera. 

You probably did not notice that DXO uses a catalog to store a lot of information but you don't need to import files like you do it in LR. Especially the EXIF information of all your images and your tags are stored centrally so you can easily search for cameras, lenses, tags in your image catalog.

DXO added Fuji X-Trans support recently and I think they did a really good job with the rendering quality. Now I don't need my old C1 copy to access my old Fuji files. I think that DXO renders better details than C1 V12. No idea if newer C1 version are better with Fuji X-Trans.

The only camera that is left from my photo history with no DXO support is the Leica M8.

vor 40 Minuten schrieb zeitz:

Bridge, ACR and PS.  By far the most powerful raster image processing software available.  At $9.99 per month it is a bargain.  (PS is no longer called PsCC.)

I personally think this is expensive. It costs 11,99 EUR / month here and comes in two flavours: LR with lots of cloud space (don't need that) or bundled with PS (don't need that). So the bundles that include LR are bloatware for me. I consider 5,99 EUR / month a reasonable price for LR standalone. Won't happen, so I happliy use alternatives.

vor 24 Minuten schrieb zeitz:

You could use RawTherapee or Darktable.  They both are free and are very usable.

For me DXO is the best solution regarding my personal image quality needs after a long travel along the image processing software road with many stops (including LR, C1 and others). I don't want to repalce it. I use it now for three years and never thought about a different main raw converter during that time.  

My previous post was absolutely misleading. I would not replace DXO with LR even if LR was cheaper (or they even gave it to me for free). I just don't think that LR is worth more than 5,99/month. I'm happy that there are so many solutions on the market and it's not an Adobe monoculture. 

• 2 weeks later...

DXO Photo Lab 6 is great....when it actually is able to open your files. As other posters already mentioned it is really inconsistent about which files it opens....no monchrome support at all, and sometimes it will refuse to open files that it opened on previous tries. I own a Canon R5, Sony A7rv (ok, it is a brand new model but still....) and a Leica Q2M...and I have major problems with opening files all the time ....sometimes it works well, sometimes it does not want to open files at all....even if I convert them to other formats and then try to open them in DXO. Capture One has no issue with any of them at all. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary....

On 1/2/2023 at 7:13 PM, andy87111 said:

DXO Photo Lab 6 is great....when it actually is able to open your files. As other posters already mentioned it is really inconsistent about which files it opens....no monchrome support at all, and sometimes it will refuse to open files that it opened on previous tries. I own a Canon R5, Sony A7rv (ok, it is a brand new model but still....) and a Leica Q2M...and I have major problems with opening files all the time ....sometimes it works well, sometimes it does not want to open files at all....even if I convert them to other formats and then try to open them in DXO. Capture One has no issue with any of them at all. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary....

DxO support for new cameras always lags the other post-processor.

The list of supported cameras and lenses can be found here: https://www.dxo.com/supported-cameras/

It is unlikely that monochrome cameras will ever be supported.

Edited by SrMi

My photo library contains thousands of raw image files from 6 or 7 different cameras.  I’ve never had a problem opening any of them provided the specific camera / lens optics module is on the DxO PL list.  You must also take care that the files come directly from the camera and not via camera maker software or any other software for that matter - this seems to be the main source of problems.  Agree with what others have said about the length of time DxO often takes in posting new modules.  Either wait (and lobby) for the modules or maybe go elsewhere for your processing needs.  Workarounds using TIFFs, etc. are OK, but preclude using DxO PL’s best features.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:22 AM, SrMi said:

DxO support for new cameras always lags the other post-processor.

The list of supported cameras and lenses can be found here: https://www.dxo.com/supported-cameras/

It is unlikely that monochrome cameras will ever be supported.

I already gave up on using DXO Photo lab with my Q2M....looks like it won't happen. I would just be happy if I could get support for the Sony A7Rv soon and open at least my Canon R5 files consistently....

• 1 month later...

well they added more supported lenses to the list yesterday:

• Sigma fp
  • Pentax KF
  • Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG DN (FE mount)
  • Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG DN (FE mount)
  • Sigma 24mm F1.4 DG DN (L mount)
  • Leica APO Summicron SL 28mm F2 ASPH
  • Leica APO Summicron SL 50mm F2 ASPH
  • Leica APO Summicron SL 90mm F2 ASPH
  • Leica Super Vario Elmar SL 16-35mm F3.5-4.5 ASPH
  • Pentax HD D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 ED AW