Sign in to follow this  
Scott Root

why tri-elmar discontinued

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If anyone is looking for a 28-35-50 Mk2 Tri-Elmar , Ffordes have just listed a mint used one for sale . They are quite scarce .

dunk

It's gone.... to me. LOL. Thanks for the heads-up!

For me, forget the WATE and MATE, give me primes...

I'm in for the 50 'rit. Then praying for fast and wide...

Peter

Someone must be quick on the draw - it's gone now! Leicashop also had one this week, 2000 Euros.

Remember that it is hugely easier and less expensive to design and manufacture an f/2.5 lens than an f/2 or f/1.4 lens. I expect the Summarits to be excellent performers, but that's just an expectation at this point.

Sean, I promise not to do it again if you promise to refrain from using this forum to promote your site at every opportunity. Deal?

In a fit of pique, Sean has now suspended my subscription to his site. You can imagine how upset I am.

My view is that if Sean wishes to promote his commercial site on this forum, he should at least make a contribution to the cost of running it by running an advertisement with click-through revenues going to the forum.

Dear all,

please do not post any material if you don't have the right to publish it.

This is a severe violation of the forum rules as according to German law I'm responsible for your violations.

It's debatable if this makes sense but that's how it is.

Mark, if you think that Sean abuses this forum you should talk to me. Sean asked me in advance (unlike some other guys) if his level of promotion is OK and I agreed.

I'm glad to have him as forum member - as I'm glad to have your contributions.

Andreas

Dear all,

please do not post any material if you don't have the right to publish it.

This is a severe violation of the forum rules as according to German law I'm responsible for your violations.

It's debatable if this makes sense but that's how it is.

Mark, if you think that Sean abuses this forum you should talk to me. Sean asked me in advance (unlike some other guys) if his level of promotion is OK and I agreed.

I'm glad to have him as forum member - as I'm glad to have your contributions.

Andreas

The whole area of copyright and quoting and the concept of "fair use" is a minefield and the rules vary from one country to another, and the internet has added another layer of complexity. Sean Reid's subscription site has many topics that are worth debating, but I've been wary of quoting from it so far. I'll take a good look at the rules now that you've pointed this out.

But back on topic, and back to the Tri-Elmar, while I agree that it is an excellent performer, what I find most frustrating about it on the M8 is that it cuts off a great chunk of the frame in both the 35 and, especially, the 28mm settings. I used to use it without a hood, since the front element is well recessed, but with the IR filter fitted a hood is necessary and this just makes the situation worse. On the M6 I always used a separate 28mm finder on top, but this option is no longer open. So, although it keeps getting reprieved, this is the one lens that at some point will get sold.

David

I have only just read this thread so my reply is somewhat out of phase since it really refers to some of the original discussion on the unavailable glass.

Perhaps this is another victim of the environmental decision not to use lead in glass? Several ultra high performance lenses had to be reformulated or have been discontinued because of this.

I bought a tri-elmar about a year ago and am delighted. I use it much more on the M8 than I did on the M6 because the f4 aperture is less of an impediment with 160iso than it was with Kodachrome.

I have primes if I want shallow depth of field though my need for the Noctilux has dwindled as well now I no longer use Kodachrome.

Frank

I agree that the original Tri-Elmar could work without a lens hood, it had to because the "official" Leica hood is the same monster which comes with the 21 and 24 Elmarits. With the IR filter in place, you really do need a hood.

That's why I bought this second generation Tri-Elmar; smaller diameter and I'm going to investigate plain 49mm hoods. The Leica effort, if it is still available, has the dubious distinction of being the most expensive M-hood in the range, beating even the WATE hood with the weird thread.

It will be interesting to see whether Leica's pricing for the Summarit hoods, which I believe are the same for each of the two pairs of lenses, is as ambitious.

Thought I'll post some pics of the MATE cutaway that I took at my local Leica agent today....A Work of ART....Enjoy:)

"No user serviceable parts inside"

A work of art indeed. Now, tell me again why Leica lenses are so expensive...

The whole area of copyright and quoting and the concept of "fair use" is a minefield and the rules vary from one country to another, and the internet has added another layer of complexity. Sean Reid's subscription site has many topics that are worth debating, but I've been wary of quoting from it so far. I'll take a good look at the rules now that you've pointed this out.

With such things, I think the best rule of thumb is that his words are his, but once you have learned from his knowledge, your knowledge is yours. In other words, paraphrase, but don't quote. Morally, I think if you are going to use others' knowledge as your own, you ought to at least add to it, in best internet and BSD style.